William Regal

PSF

I'd have no qualms with him having a competitive WHC shot on the next Smackdown in the UK with home support as a one off, but that'd be it for me.

This is pretty much what I meant when I said that I had no problem with him challenging the champion. With him and Wade Barrett both wanting to become the first British champion, I'd rather that accolade belong to Wade just because he's more likely to be booked stronger, has a longer shelf life and has been positioned in the main event and upper-card for most of his WWE run.

Regal putting on a clinic with Bryan in a losing effort is the best we can hope for I guess.

I didn't take perception into account. It'd take a long time to build Regal up so the fans perceive him as a threat to the champion. I guess Sheamus first run could be used as an example that you can't just shove someone into the role as champion so quickly.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lawler and Regal are worlds apart as far as perception in the fans eyes. Lawler's been an onscreen character for 20 years now, wrestled the likes of Bret Hart, Roddy Piper, the Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts and had occassional high profile matches on Raw for years and is a WWE Hall of Famer. They were going to push Regal in a fairly decent spot in 2008, but he fucked it up by getting done on a Wellness suspension. I cant see WWE ever treating him on the level of Jerry Lawler. He's a good comedy figure, who can still go with the right opponent, but in 2012 its far to late to be giving him the biggest push of his career. A Regal vs Bryan feud would probably put Bryan down to Regal's level, rather than bring Regal up to Bryan's.

Ok. So wait another 10 years, and WWE can give Regal a push because he is a WWE Hall of Famer and considered a legend by then :cool:

As many of you have said I think Regal's time at the top has passed. 2008 was the best chance he had with the King of the Ring and being Raw Gm but he fucked that up by failing the wellness test. I wouldn't mind a one off match in the UK for the title but I don't think Regal should go over. I think he'd actually make a good heel manager for Bryan to get him over a little bit more as a heel with the crowd.

• Paid Members
has been a comedy figure for most of his tenure,

Whenever they've needed Regal to switch from comedy to serious in the past, it's been done in a very short space of time. Like Angle, he can be a goofy character without losing his reputation as his skills are well known and undeniable. When Regal stops goofing around, the audience know that things are about to get interesting.

I don't think the audience would take him seriously as a World Title contender after being off tv regularly for so long.

Being off TV means he doesn't have the above mentioned comedy tenure to drop. He'll be recognised by the majority when he appears, and can get straight into presenting his challenge.

Is anyone actually thinking Regal will hold the belt? I think it's more likely he's just after one big match - his style of match - while he still can.

The issue with giving him any kind of prolonged run up the top is simply that the time you spend building him up to Bryan's level that could be used on someone younger and with a far bigger upside. There's not really much downside to giving him the one off shot though.

• Moderators
The issue with giving him any kind of prolonged run up the top is simply that the time you spend building him up to Bryan's level that could be used on someone younger and with a far bigger upside. There's not really much downside to giving him the one off shot though.

Youth is far overrated these days. Many of the world's best are 50+. People like Black Terry, Finlay and Jerry Lawler can still outwork pretty much anyone and will still be able to for a while yet. Perception and presentation is far more important than age.

Of course someone younger should be built up, but we are not talking about William Regal stealing the spotlight and hanging onto it. We are talking about using a well-respected veteran and give him a short well-deserved push as a pay-off for the hard work he has put into WWE for years and years.

William Regal has been in WWE for many years (longevity) and has friends high up. Triple H is relatively high up in the WWE hiarchy, I would say :nerd: Yes, Regal failed a wellness test (several years ago) but others have done so too. He is not a young guy with any attitude problems, wanting to be pushed to soon. In the ring, he is well respected, and he is a better actor than most. A small push to the top for a short run (look at Christian's "run") or at least a couple of title shots failing to win the title would not be a bad idea or out of order.

I am not saying it is likely that William Regal will get the chance but as I said in my original post it depends if WWE have decided that his time has passed or not.

As PowerButchi says, youth is overrated. Finlay was taken off WWE TV because of his age. Since he was released from his backstage job, he har been putting on top notch matches around the world. Why is that? Because he worked his way up and travelled the world to be as good as he can at what he does. Can that be said about the youth in WWE? Well, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are two examples although they are not THAT young any longer as both are 30+. They travelled around the world for years before they were put into their current top positions.

Regal is great, I'd love to see him get a decent mini feud with Bryan but as others have said he's way better as a heel so maybe give him a role like Ric Flair currently has with Gunner in TNA. They could use him to put over somebody up-and-coming, if they were British then more the better and with his abilities he could get involved in tag matches and have more of a physical involvement than the traditional Bobby Heenan managerial position.

Youth is far overrated these days. Many of the world's best are 50+. People like Black Terry, Finlay and Jerry Lawler can still outwork pretty much anyone and will still be able to for a while yet. Perception and presentation is far more important than age.

To an audience that's true, all the wrestlers you've named can still put on a fantastic show because of their wealth of experiance, which is why it's ideal to hve Regal working the young midcarders and teaching them something or carry on working as a trainer, but given the hell he has put his body through it's not going to be long until he starts to struggle with the full time schedule. And even with Lawler it wasn't a prolonged run at the top, and Lawler actually means something to the majority of the audience.

Of course someone younger should be built up, but we are not talking about William Regal stealing the spotlight and hanging onto it. We are talking about using a well-respected veteran and give him a short well-deserved push as a pay-off for the hard work he has put into WWE for years and years.

You're still going to have to put him over younger talents and take away their TV time. The people in the main eventer shouldn't need to work with Regal, there might still be things they can learn from him, but they're not theb est use ofhis talents. Its the younger talents further down the card who should be working with him. That's how you get the most out of him at this stage. I'm a fan of Regal and as a fan I'd probably actually pay attention to the WWE again if he was doing something in the main event, but if it were me using him and he could still go I'd give him the one off title shot in his homeland as a reward and then havign him feud with a few guys in the midcard, putting all of them over. Maybe I'd even give him a one month feud for the belt, the PPVs are pretty close together these days anyway, but I wouldn't give him anymore than that.

You're still going to have to put him over younger talents and take away their TV time. The people in the main eventer shouldn't need to work with Regal, there might still be things they can learn from him, but they're not theb est use ofhis talents. Its the younger talents further down the card who should be working with him. That's how you get the most out of him at this stage. I'm a fan of Regal and as a fan I'd probably actually pay attention to the WWE again if he was doing something in the main event, but if it were me using him and he could still go I'd give him the one off title shot in his homeland as a reward and then havign him feud with a few guys in the midcard, putting all of them over. Maybe I'd even give him a one month feud for the belt, the PPVs are pretty close together these days anyway, but I wouldn't give him anymore than that.

Putting over young talents would mean more if they put them over a former WHC titleholder clean, not that results mean much in today's WWE anyway with all the fluke wins and interference finishes. I am thinking a win-and-then-lose title scenario with a short storyline to build up for the actual win. It could work if the WWE decide to do it. Then as you say, Regal could put over younger talent on the way down again, meaning that they would be put over a recent, former WHC titleholder.

I don't think the audience would take him seriously as a World Title contender after being off tv regularly for so long, but it would be nice to see him face Bryan for the title in London if Bryan still has the belt then.

I think Regal vs Bryan worked in a simular way to Lawler Vs Miz last year, could be a blinder. Start with the two having a back stage segment and Bryan showing him no respect. Have Regal remind him the following week they he help train Bryan etc..

Than have Bryan face someone from NXT or Darren Ambrose, someone Regal would have a reason to stick up for and let Bryan murder them, forcing Regal to come out and make the save. Then have Regal eventually get a title shot given to him by Teddy Long and build it up over the next week, saying that this is Regals first ever shot at the world title and could be his last chance, only for Bryan to weasel his way out of the match, the way he has been doing recently. Regal then gets offered a PPV title match. Simple A-Z booking that would work. There is no one better at cutting a heartfelt, agressive, goose bump inducing promo than Regal.

I think Regal vs Bryan worked in a similar way to Lawler Vs Miz last year.

Thank you.

There is no need to place Regal on Smackdown or Raw, I think Regal makes a great addition to the WWE roster as much as he did 10 years ago, he is an excellent, educated, experienced worker who is a very good hand like I said in my pervious post.

A worker like Regal should be used to give the rub to up and coming talent, any young worker on his way up could learn loads in the ring and out of the ring from a guy like Regal.

I would however like to see a fued with Regal and Bryan, a short simple but effective one. If a guy like Mark Henry can be given a push at such a late stage in his career then I totally believe a more talented worker like Regal should also be entilted to one last push. Regal deserves to at least be a transitional Champion for a short period...it's not like WWE is bursting at the seems with other guys who are deserving of the strap at this current time, in my opinion (with they exception of a few like Ziggler etc).

Having a veteran like Regal knocking around the WWE isn't harming anyone. Regal can still bring to the table a unique in-ring offering unlike anyone currently in the WWE. WWE is filled with generic young guys who have very little depth or story behind them. Having a variety of workers on your roster is never a bad thing that way your appealing to a wider aray of people, I'm pretty certain there is still a lot of people around the world who would love to see Regal from time to time crop up on Raw or Smackdown do his thing and then leave.

I miss charecters and gimmicks in WWE, I miss originality....I don't want to see a cross between Flash Funk and Rikishi (Brodus Clay) I've seen it before or generic good looking, musclebound guys in boots and tights. WWE must be in pretty bad times when they are stealing idea's from the past and using them now....they are even having to rely still on stars from the past like The Rock, Triple H and Kevin Nash to boost ratings....doesn't say much for how confident the WWE are on their young workers.

WWE must be in pretty bad times when they are stealing idea's from the past and using them now....

Agreed. Still, the fans are often no better. We even get total mongs on here moaning that they should just do the attitude era again and complaining about how PG ruined everything.

Is anyone actually thinking Regal will hold the belt? I think it's more likely he's just after one big match - his style of match - while he still can.

Aye, I think he's mad on getting the one last big match at a UK taping. He was doing these Twitter challenges when Orton and Henry were champion as well.

Archived