William Regal

PSF

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, he's pretty much ingrained in the minds of every fan as a midcarder now, and it's pretty difficult to break that.

I really hope he does have another full time run for a year or two though, as he's always brilliant in whatever he does. He'd be great to have around, at around IC title level, whether he's straight, comical, heel or face. At the very worst, he at least needs to show up on TV every month or so and have the odd PPV match even if he doesn't return to the road.

Have him rediscover the power of the punch :)

• Paid Members

If booked correctly, of course he can have a convincing run at the top. Those that say he won't be taken as a credible main eventer after years in the midcard need to look at Mssrs Henry and Layfield. If booked right, they can be taken seriously at the top despite previous roster status.

• Paid Members

Sorry lads, i disagree.

I think if he was given a meaningful run, it could relight his spark. It worked for Bradshaw to some extent, based on the same idea, i think it could work for regal.

He can put on very solid matches, and he can talk as well, if not better, than anyone else. Bradshaw was blanding one off after the general APA run and wasn't exactly a superstar, given the chance he jumped on it and it really worked.

I think this 'could' be the same for regal and i would happily boo/cheer (hopefully boo) him along!

If booked correctly, of course he can have a convincing run at the top. Those that say he won't be taken as a credible main eventer after years in the midcard need to look at Mssrs Henry and Layfield. If booked right, they can be taken seriously at the top despite previous roster status.

I was actually aware of Mark Henry when I typed my comment. I don't think the circumstances are like-for-like at all. Mizark had the obvious advantage of being a monster. The attributes were all there for him to easily make the step up. All it took was a bit of tweaking and a change of attitude.

Similarly, Bradshaw was a tank, and whilst he had hovered around the midcard and the tag ranks for long spells, he was always booked strongly, was protected, and had a spectacular finisher which was extremely over. If you could go back to 2003, you could easily pinpoint him as a guy who had potential to do pretty well in singles, albeit we hadn't really saw much of how good a talker he would end up being.

Regal just doesn't have anything like those advantages. He's in his mid 40s, is not imposing, has been a comedy figure for most of his tenure, has been jobbed out to everyone and anyone, and just doesn't have the aura of a guy you feel they could make a go of as a main eventer. In that respect, I think you could draw some parallels with Christian for example.

Which is not to say I wouldn't like to see it. Personally, I'd be happy as a pig in shit if they threw Regal into the main event scene, and i'd love every minute of it no doubt as i'm one of his biggest fans. I just think it would be a miracle of booking to really pull it off and have the masses buy into him as someone who really belongs there.

• Awards Moderator

Maybe not a full run, but perhaps a World Title match with Bryan isn't a bad idea. They could build up an angle leading up to Elimination Chamber with Regal as he is in that tweet, feeling he deserves a shot after all the mentoring he's given Bryan from the year dot. And if the match itself ends up with Bryan besting Regal, putting him in a submission and causing a 'career ending injury' resulting in Regal's retirement, it'd add another shade to Bryan's character, give Regal a great retirement match, and allow him to potentially segue into full time commentary on RAW or SmackDown as the second coming of Lord Alfred Hayes.

Or not. But I think Regal's now in the position Jamie Noble was around the time of Sheamus retiring him, or where Booker T is now - useful, but not in a regular in-ring role anymore.

Edit: obviously Regal would need a great deal of building up again before a World Title match, but they did Lawler vs. Miz last year, and that was for the WWE Title, so it's not unprecedented.

How can you say a guy with the skills and abilities of William Regal is past it?

Fair enough his days of main-eventing are gone but to say he is past it is total crap. Regal is a good hand, he is an experienced worker to have around to work with and give the rub to younger talent on there way up, I can imagine a un-developed wrestler in need of a polish could learn a lot from a worker like Regal. In a WWE filled with generic young guys in tights and boots a talented worker like Regal is a credit to the roster. The same can be said for Goldust who is I believe currently working backstage and with the Diva's.

Stick Regal on Superstars, he would do no harm what so ever working with the middle/lower card.

However, I think if Regal was built up correctly as a real threat to Daniel Bryan then there is no reason a short fued wouldn't work.

I don't think the audience would take him seriously as a World Title contender after being off tv regularly for so long, but it would be nice to see him face Bryan for the title in London if Bryan still has the belt then.

I think Regal vs Bryan worked in a simular way to Lawler Vs Miz last year, could be a blinder. Start with the two having a back stage segment and Bryan showing him no respect. Have Regal remind him the following week they he help train Bryan etc..

Than have Bryan face someone from NXT or Darren Ambrose, someone Regal would have a reason to stick up for and let Bryan murder them, forcing Regal to come out and make the save. Then have Regal eventually get a title shot given to him by Teddy Long and build it up over the next week, saying that this is Regals first ever shot at the world title and could be his last chance, only for Bryan to weasel his way out of the match, the way he has been doing recently. Regal then gets offered a PPV title match. Simple A-Z booking that would work. There is no one better at cutting a heartfelt, agressive, goose bump inducing promo than Regal.

Archived