William Regal

PSF

I recall Regal having a title shot against the Rock in 2000/01. I'd like to see him get a shot, but as already mentioned his as Raw GM a few years back was his big chance, I remember reading an article at the time where Regal said he would be getting a push, and I'm sure he guaranteed to be the first ever English World Champ.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, his time is long gone.Nobody really want's to see Regal in main events in 2012.

I certainly do.

...allow him to potentially segue into full time commentary on RAW or SmackDown as the second coming of Lord Alfred Hayes.

Yeah, his commentary on FCW is absolutely blinding - very fresh and interesting stle. Saying that, he seems to have a very free reign with what he comes out with on FCW. I don

I doubt he's going to get a huge main event push but as they're pushing Bryan as a cowardly heel why not have Regal come out and say he's ashamed of him and challenge him to a title match at the UK tapings, easy enough to put over the fact he trained him. Don't see any reason that wouldn't work with the reaction Regal would get over here.

• Paid Members
I don't think the audience would take him seriously as a World Title contender after being off tv regularly for so long, but it would be nice to see him face Bryan for the title in London if Bryan still has the belt then.

Yes but thats the internet audience. Obviously it wouldnt make sense to give him a title shot on his first tv appearence back.

You would need to build it up, off the top of my head, maybe as a friend at first, the whole 'teaching him the ropes', 'teaching him new moves', teaching him how to be a good 'face' and how to interact with the crowd.

Play on the American Dragon thing and do a modern Lex express daft thing where he is built as a peoples champ kinda crock, meeting the fans, lots of TV time for Bryan and obviously with Regal on his arm as a mentor advisor. Basically building up from how their friendship started.

And then BOOM, lights out, super kick through the barbershop window. Regal turn.

Obviously Bryan would need to be face for the above idea, but you get the picture.

I doubt he's going to get a huge main event push but as they're pushing Bryan as a cowardly heel why not have Regal come out and say he's ashamed of him and challenge him to a title match at the UK tapings, easy enough to put over the fact he trained him. Don't see any reason that wouldn't work with the reaction Regal would get over here.

Yeah, I think that's about the limit for Regal. Possibly with a Dusty finish.

• Moderators

I don't know about him as a heel these days. Watching NXT and this week on Smackdown it appears he's reached that point wrestlers do when the crowd just want to like them. I'd have no problems with him filling a Goldust role on whichever brand Goldust isn't.

As they did a feud with a 60+ years old commentator and WWE champion The Miz last year, I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to make William Regal, who is 43 at the moment, a potential challenger for the WHC title. William Regal is still great in the ring, and his face expressions are fantastic.

William Regal's time has passed if the WWE have decided that his time has passed.

• Moderators
As they did a feud with a 60+ years old commentator and WWE champion The Miz last year, I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to make William Regal, who is 43 at the moment, a potential challenger for the WHC title.

Difference is though how Lawler and Regal are presented. While Lawler had his puppies and all that in the past, he's now positioned by WWE as a bonafied legend of wrestling and they gave him a good Rocky story and they always seem to work pretty well. Regal's spent the past 3 years or so as a low card comedy performer, as awesome as he is.

• Paid Members

Lawler and Regal are worlds apart as far as perception in the fans eyes. Lawler's been an onscreen character for 20 years now, wrestled the likes of Bret Hart, Roddy Piper, the Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts and had occassional high profile matches on Raw for years and is a WWE Hall of Famer. They were going to push Regal in a fairly decent spot in 2008, but he fucked it up by getting done on a Wellness suspension. I cant see WWE ever treating him on the level of Jerry Lawler. He's a good comedy figure, who can still go with the right opponent, but in 2012 its far to late to be giving him the biggest push of his career. A Regal vs Bryan feud would probably put Bryan down to Regal's level, rather than bring Regal up to Bryan's.

• Paid Members

I remember somebody on here suggesting Regal being the manager of Barrett too. People need to remember that Regal is a jobber these days, he's great, but he's essentially in Chavo Guerrero's position before Chavo got the sack (only Regal gets less TV time). His job is to do daft skits (something he's brilliant at) and enhance the rest of the roster.

As has been said, WWE would be daft to push somebody as old as Regal, especially after he ruined their plans last time. Wrestling needs new stars, not old ones.

I see no problem with Regal challenging for the title at all. I'm pretty sure Finley was in a World Title 4 way match on PPV a few years ago, and he must've been around Regals age if not a little older. I might be wrong though. I think it was around the time King Booker was champion.

• Moderators

It's not about age to me, it's about perception. And Finlay as a heel was always well protected and shown as a dangerous competitor who even picked up non-title wins against the World Champion, even if it was Rey Mysterio. I don't think you'd considered Finlay for a shot when he was grinning with Hornswoggle, wearing a Cosby Show jumper in backstage skits, and wrestling Mike Knox every week on Superstars though. And even that's above the status which Regal has now. I'd have no qualms with him having a competitive WHC shot on the next Smackdown in the UK with home support as a one off, but that'd be it for me.

Archived