The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'm totally thrown on the top 4. Looking at my own top 10 (which I put together after nominations closed), the big ones I expected to see on here that haven't shown up yet are: American Psycho, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Scarface and- the film that I think will definitely appear and probably take top spot- Rocky IV. Unless Rocky III steals it? This place is a near 50/50 split between the two.

• Moderators
Something ive noticed about that Die Hard poster, it came out in fucking July?!?!?!? Whats that all about?

I couldn't believe this, so I looked it up. 15th of July. Merry Christmas?

I know it's hardly It's a Wonderful Life or Scrooged for wild festiveness, but it's still pretty fucking festive. Die Hard is on a lot of people's "every Christmas" watch-list, so this spins me right out.

And Die Hard II came out at the beginning of July.

Rest of the Top 5 is really hard to call. I'd expect the UKFF to put Anchorman in there (which I didn't vote for, but do love), and struggle to imagine a Top 3 without 12 Angry Men (which I did). Reservoir Dogs surely has to be putting in an appearance too, unless it already did and I forgot, ditto Spinal Tap.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
Something ive noticed about that Die Hard poster, it came out in fucking July?!?!?!? Whats that all about?

I know it's hardly It's a Wonderful Life or Scrooged for wild festiveness, but it's still pretty fucking festive. Die Hard is on a lot of people's "every Christmas" watch-list, so this spins me right out.

That does seem a bit mental, but I guess the answer is simply that summer has always been big blockbuster season so it would have pulled bigger numbers in than a winter release?

• Moderators

That does seem a bit mental, but I guess the answer is simply that summer has always been big blockbuster season so it would have pulled bigger numbers in than a winter release?

Yeah, that's the logical answer, but we've all been labouring under the idea that the Christmassy Die Hards actually came out at Christmas, I guess because the majority of us didn't see them until they hit VHS or TV. It's like finding out your sister is actually your mum or something.

Of course the best Die Hard thing is that the guy in the middle of this shot:

Diehard.jpg

is this guy:

commandmelord.jpg

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

With the Die Hard thing, wouldn't they have only become available for purchase/rental about 5-6 months later in those days? Meaning it would be in cinemas in blockbuster summer season and then first available at Crimbo. Which seems wise enough. I have a feeling Home Alone 2 wasnt released in theatres at Christmas either.

Astro, Glad said Pulp Fiction is the only Tarantino work to make the cut so Reservoir Dogs wont be there.

• Paid Members

According to Wikipedia (I know), Home Alone 2 was released in November 1992. (Twenty years ago?!?!?)

Jona Lewie's Christmas song "Stop the Cavalry" was released in August. That also blows the mind.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
According to Wikipedia (I know), Home Alone 2 was released in November 1992. (Twenty years ago?!?!?)

November to me seems like a good time to release a Christmas film, the commercial Christmas season truly starts as soon as November 5th is out the way.

• Paid Members

November to me seems like a good time to release a Christmas film, the commercial Christmas season truly starts as soon as November 5th is out the way.

Maybe in the UK it does, but over in the USA there's a giant Thanksgiving blockade in the way.

• Paid Members
With the Die Hard thing, wouldn't they have only become available for purchase/rental about 5-6 months later in those days? Meaning it would be in cinemas in blockbuster summer season and then first available at Crimbo.

Die Hard was back in the days when it took bloody ages to get a rental release, and then longer still for a retail releas'm'e.

I'm still shocked over how much love there is for Anchorman.