The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I've seen folk batch cooking breakfast burritos/ sandwiches but no idea how nice they'd be after defrosting and eaten cold. 

Cold would be pretty bleak, but could be worth investing in a sandwich/panini press to heat them up on, as the batch cooked breakfast burrito/muffins are a good option.

Something like this:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4237776?clickPR=plp:1:14

You could even carry it to work like a briefcase.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Always say that my home kitchen is my happiest, safest space. 

Rough few weeks so mates suggested I get back in the kitchen. 

Russled up this homemade cottage pie tonight, mixed with minted peas and new potatoes, garlic green beans and Balsamic glazed roasted broccoli. 

I'll never be world class but just feeling happy with how this turned out made my day. 

IMG_20240905_193848.jpg

• Paid Members

Apologies for being a double post wanker but made Sunday Roast for the house and best friends today. 

The crackling on the Pork did taste better than it looks. Need to remember to remove it from the meat and give it some extra time next time. 

That being said, I've gone back to making portion sizes for Braun Strowman again. 

Really happy with how my braised red cabbage and homemade stuffing came out too. Last time both were unbearably dry so progress being made in "Operation Turn Me Into Cinderella" my friends are undertaking. First time not wasting the veg the meat sat on and making a gravy from it after but that could do with a better attempt next time. 

IMG_20240908_182539.jpg

IMG_20240908_173210.jpg

• Paid Members

My wife has gotten into pickling lately and made some fantastic gherkins and beetroot. I used the opportunity to make a tomato chutney. All turned out great.

IMG_9748.jpeg

IMG_9743.jpeg

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Looks amazing! My rosemary is also growing out of control faster than i know what to do with it..

You can definitely add a fair whack to this. I feel absolutely knackered after eating it. I probably got through the best part of 1500 calories in that portion alone.

• Members

Be gentle with me. Ex got sent two Gousto boxes so I got one and attempted Crispy Nduja and Gremolata with fresh orecchiette.

Firstly the sauce wasn't thick enough, and it's gone a bit soupy but the important thing is I tried. 

Absolute faff though, no way that takes 20 minutes Gousto. And I learnt what a gremolata is.

20240915_184639.thumb.jpg.f4f56d0b2c20d14a96f0211680d85d47.jpg

20240915_190256.thumb.jpg.d437e2cb4c4416b4cd11b149cd46ba0d.jpg

It's not a million miles away is it?

Anyway there is chicken in the box, so RIP me.

That's a good effort. I used Gousto a few times on the cheap deals and they aren't bad, but found some of the recipes pretty poor and didn't come out anywhere near what they were meant to.

@FLips where is the best place/value to get pickling vinegar from? 

Edited by Tim Healys Chutney Spoon