UKFF Skyrim Thread

Kata Ha Jime

• Paid Members
Crashing consoles in this day and age gets right on my nerves. The 360 is a dick for it, just randomly freezing for no reason. It's done it on every Xbox I've played, mine or otherwise.

It's not just a matter of loose pins like the NES or blowing the cartridge like the Megadrive either. It's a technical issue that should be solved on this sort of equipment.

You make it sound like it should be incredibly simple but don't forget though that everything is much more complex than in the days of the NES, etc. A game the size of Skyrim is going to have a staggering amount of code and all it needs is one line to have one tiny mistake and it could cause problems with something in the game. Finding the part that's causing the problem would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack so it's going to take a lot of time to try and find it and test it, hence why there are more crashes these days especially as there are so many variables in games like this.

This is why for console releases it's always been doubly important to check the code as up until the last couple of years it was impossible to update the software for them. It's only because of live online gaming companies have been able to do patches for consoles, and so far we've been very fortunate to have few games that need patches post-release. Let's hope it doesn't become habitual to have less stringent debugging prior to release because of this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Finally started playing this the other day, borrowed from a friend seeing as my wife overlooked this on top of my Christmas AND birthday wishlist :-(

I went with a Nord. Even though I hated melee in Fallout and relied heavily on VATS, I find myself want to hack away at suckers with a big sword. It must be the setting. Haven't learnt any magic yet.

Bleak Falls Barrow is a right cunt to find first time. I've orbited the mountain range trying to find it.

Very good game so far. In theory it's probably the perfect game for me as my favourite games are Fallout and Zelda, plus I love watching Game of Thrones. Mix them all in a pot and you'd probably end up with Skyrim.

Ha, I did the same with that mountain shit! I kept annoying the giants by mistake and getting mullered by them. In the end I just started jumping around the mountain and eventually got to where I needed to go.

• Paid Members

Yeah...I tried fighting the giants, that was a waste of time. Even my plan of having my follower (who is really shit and always turns up late for a fight) distract them as a fire arrows at them didn't work!

• 3 weeks later...

I've only just recently bought Skyrim and have mainly just been wandering thus far. I've fought my first dragon outside Whiterun, and learned my shout. I saved and only returned to it today to find I can no longer "wait" (back on Xbox)Is it knackered? Upon Googling it, is my only option to go back the most recent save that allows me to wait?

• 1 month later...

I worried about not being able to upgrade my character much in Dawnguard because I was already level 51 when I started - I thought with there being eleven new upgrades I'd need to level up to 62 to unlock everything. But the new perks are unlocked by using the powers you get after choosing which side you're going to play on, which I thought was a good move. I've been trying to find one of the new legendary dragons with no success though, and then I read online that they don't appear until you hit level 70. Seventy!!

• Paid Members

Still playing the main game, though only started it a month or so ago. Level 36 Nord I think at the moment. The big problem with this game...is that I think it's far better than anything else I've ever played.

I have no interest in any Zelda games at the moment, don't care about any pending Rockstar games or playing any previous one, I don't even think I could play Fallout right now- even though the gamepley is the same. I just want to play Skyrim and nothing else. When I finish, I'll download Dawnguard. After that I really don't know what will become of me.

Astonishingly, I haven't played Oblivion. Is it worthwhile playing it after I am done with Skyrim, or is Skyrim that much better it will be too hard to get into it? I know it's the same generation, but I get the impression Skyrim is a lot more advanced.

Still playing the main game, though only started it a month or so ago. Level 36 Nord I think at the moment. The big problem with this game...is that I think it's far better than anything else I've ever played.

I have no interest in any Zelda games at the moment, don't care about any pending Rockstar games or playing any previous one, I don't even think I could play Fallout right now- even though the gamepley is the same. I just want to play Skyrim and nothing else. When I finish, I'll download Dawnguard. After that I really don't know what will become of me.

Astonishingly, I haven't played Oblivion. Is it worthwhile playing it after I am done with Skyrim, or is Skyrim that much better it will be too hard to get into it? I know it's the same generation, but I get the impression Skyrim is a lot more advanced.

Oblivion is awesome, playing it after Skyrim will probably feel like a step backwards but its pretty much the same with a few tweaks. The setting is pretty different too. I cant see you not loving it if you love Skyrim...

I really need to finish up everything before i get the Dawnguard DLC!

I find I'm somewhat the opposite with Skyrim. I was quite addicted with the game at one stage, got a bit bored, got a bit busy and didn't play it for a few months and now I can't muster up the effort to start playing again. Just the mere thought of it makes me bored. Maybe it's the character I'm playing with, Nord Knight (with a bit of archery thrown into the mix) but I'm playing everything else instead of Skyrim.

• Paid Members

Oblivion is awesome, playing it after Skyrim will probably feel like a step backwards but its pretty much the same with a few tweaks. The setting is pretty different too. I cant see you not loving it if you love Skyrim...

I really need to finish up everything before i get the Dawnguard DLC!

I'd agree with that, you'd miss things like the shouts for sure, and the dragons too, but definitely worth giving it a go still though, one thing it does have over Skyrim in my opinion is it's just a much nicer setting. Less evil snowy mountains and lots more gorgeous green woodlands. Actually, two things, it has a cast that includes Sean Bean, Patrick Stewart and Terence Stamp. Actually, three things, the music is the best in a videogame since the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

Archived