Wrestling Myths

JohnnyChimpo

Someone said earlier Glen Jacobs wrestled at Survivor Series 93. I still think this is true, he was Red Knight along with Barry Horowitz and Greg Valentine.

Can anyone confirm the story that Andre the Giant fell asleep during a match? I heard it was late in his career and just fell asleep while waiting for a tag or in a headlock. Think it was the headlock, the tag was Dennis Rodman.

I thought it was Jeff Gaylord, not Glen Jacobs.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I didn't know that, I thought Jacobs was doing Unabomb or Christmas Monster or some gimmick in SMW at the time so it made sense to me.

I have a tape with Jeff Gaylord on it. My brother never let me hear the end of it.

• Paid Members

One small that kind of bugs me, largely because almost everybody cites it as fact, even wrestlers, is WWE's no compete clause.

Paul Bearer posted the exact wording of the clause when he got released a few years back: They don't have a no compete clause. What they have is a clause allowing them to terminate people as long as they give them 90 days notice. It serves the same purpose, because people obviously can't work for TNA etc while they are still under contract to WWE but it still isn't the same thing (particularly in legal terms since a no compete clause probably wouldn't hold up in court).

• Moderators

I think that was another of the things Scott Keith said in one of his reviews, and because some people actually put some stock in everything he says for some reason, it become accepted as truth, yes. Everything else I've seen says otherwise.

You could probably do the whole thread with things scooter has said. Here's another great one from the scooter:-

Jimmy Valiant is Bobby Heenan's brother.

Accurate depiction of what it's like to read one of his things.

• Paid Members

Survivor Series 1993 - The Knights

Aye, Jeff Gaylord.

The one "flexing his guns" on the way to ring was definately Gaylord (in a matter of speaking). He used to do that all the time on the way to the ring.

Another one (which fooled me quite a bit at the time) was Regal "shooting" with Goldberg on that Nitro match. 100% work.

Here's the match!

The unmasked Kane isn't the original Kane is still a rumour that runs rampant among the casual fan. In fact when I mentioned the Kane promos that have been doing the rounds to my 37 year old Cousin, he told me there was two Kanes.

My wife's best friend was round with her new boyfriend for the first time a month or so ago. A few drinks and we're yapping about UFC and WWE, he then tells me that "The Undertaker isn't the original one, there's been 2 or 3 people since he first debuted". I was surprised that in this day and age that rumour still persists.

The Undertake one I can sympathise with, because they DID have another Undertaker. Most people just assume the one that came back to face Brian Lee wasn't the original Undertaker and a completely new one. Making the number of Takers to three.

There's probably people who think the returning Taker was the original, but the American Badass version was someone totally knew.

Another one (which fooled me quite a bit at the time) was Regal "shooting" with Goldberg on that Nitro match. 100% work.

Here's the match!

It was definately not "shooting" by Regal but we could discuss if it was 100% work. Goldberg was too green and too clueless to make it work :laugh: If there was anyone shooting in that match, it was Goldberg who tried to "shoot-counter" some basic pro-wrestling holds.

One small that kind of bugs me, largely because almost everybody cites it as fact, even wrestlers, is WWE's no compete clause.

Paul Bearer posted the exact wording of the clause when he got released a few years back: They don't have a no compete clause. What they have is a clause allowing them to terminate people as long as they give them 90 days notice. It serves the same purpose, because people obviously can't work for TNA etc while they are still under contract to WWE but it still isn't the same thing (particularly in legal terms since a no compete clause probably wouldn't hold up in court).

They can work untelevised or recorded for DVD independent shows during this period too can they not? Or is that a privilege only granted by special permission?

Brian Danielson was back in EVOLVE and Chikara very quickly after the tie-gate incident.

I think that was another of the things Scott Keith said in one of his reviews, and because some people actually put some stock in everything he says for some reason, it become accepted as truth, yes. Everything else I've seen says otherwise.

You could probably do the whole thread with things scooter has said. Here's another great one from the scooter:-

Jimmy Valiant is Bobby Heenan's brother.

Accurate depiction of what it's like to read one of his things.

Thought that was Craig from X Factor's debut single for a minute there....

Archived