Wrestling Myths

JohnnyChimpo

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It seems that Vince really did have his heart broken by Savage, this harking of former friends refusing to talk to each other then the survivor reaching out after the passing of the other. Doesn't that kind of thing happen all over the place?

Nothing surprises me at all, with wrestling. I just dont buy the WCW excuse. Vince took Hogan's betrayal far worse than the Savage one. Savage left with no notice. Vince took Hogan testifying against him badly. They were best mates for years. Gym buds, Harley Ridders, probably gave each other a reach around in the showers. But he took him back. He's taken Luger back in, after he walked out without giving notice. Hall and Nash came back, after they did that curtain call thing and then went to WCW to try and put him out of business. He even brought Bischoff in. He even opened up negotiations in 1996 and 1999 to bring Savage back. Its not like Vince walked in, in a Confessions of a Window Cleaner style as he had her bent over and went "WHAT?!" She might have confessed that something happened to Vince in the last 10 years, and he's been blackballed, because Savage was never banished from their TV and VHS released in the late 90s/early 2000s. There's no such thing as loyalty in the WWF/WWE. They all come back eventually. Even Superstar Graham. Even the Warrior was in negotiations in 2009 for the Hall of Fame. And Sammartino. If WWF hates you, they bury you. They dont blackball you. Savage is an odd case.

Also, with the publicity Savages death got, they couldnt have not done that tribute to him when he died. The stockholders wouldnt have been jumping for joy when that backlash came if they just ignored him.

• Paid Members

Could it just be Savage though?

I mean in the past few years Savage had been talking (in some form at least) to WWE, due to action figures / Games etc, so that along with vince offering him a job in 96/99 it might just of been him not wanting to do business. I mean after WCW, i doubt he needed the money or anything?

Then again would savage fit in around that time? 2001. I'm sure many great matches could of come out of it, but it is weird to think of him around in WWE at that time.

• Paid Members

Savage and WWE have had no contact. Mattel signed Savage, because Jakks wanted him for their figures line they have going with TNA, and Mattel didn't want a popular name to the nostalgia market go to a rival figure distributor. And the Allstars game, might be along the same lines considering they didn't have him in any of their games for years. They even released a DVD of him, with little promotion and nothing but matches and Matt Striker banging on. It seems in recent years they've figured out a way to make money off him without actually having to deal with him.

• Paid Members
Savage and WWE have had no contact. Mattel signed Savage, because Jakks wanted him for their figures line they have going with TNA, and Mattel didn't want a popular name to the nostalgia market go to a rival figure distributor. And the Allstars game, might be along the same lines considering they didn't have him in any of their games for years. They even released a DVD of him, with little promotion and nothing but matches and Matt Striker banging on. It seems in recent years they've figured out a way to make money off him without actually having to deal with him.

Fair shout , i knew the figure thing was more through the toy companys and so on. God only knows then! I dont think the Stephanie thing is true, as many wrestlers have said it is not true.

• Paid Members
Vince took Hogan testifying against him badly.

I strongly doubt it on two counts. 1) Hogan didn't volunteer to give evidence; he was subpoenad. He didn't have any say in the matter, any more than Vince McMahon did himself in appearing in court. 2) Hogan's testimony couldn't have been any better for Vince McMahon:

Defense: Vince McMahon never directed you to take steroids?

Terry B: Never.

Defense: It was your choice and decision?

Terry B: Definitely.

Defense: Other wrestlers take steroids?

Terry B: To my knowledge, yes.

Defense: Ever hear Vince McMahon tell a wrestler he should take steroids?

Terry B: No.

Defense: Do you recall any conversations with Vince McMahon where he implied a wrestler should take steroids?

Terry B: Never.

I know that Vince certainly gave that impression upon his acquittal (telling reporters that he was looking forward at things returning to normal but it's a shame that Hogan lied) and used "You testified against me for the federal government!" as an angle in the build-up to their Wrestlemania match, but so what? Vince had no justification for that other than working. And that's exactly what Hogan wrote in his second book. (I know, it's Hogan ... but it's still far more grounded in reality than "Vince was mad because Hogan was given no choice but to testify for the prosecution and gave excellent testimony that absolved Vince of everything levelled at him.) "It really hurt me that Vince said that about me when I'd done nothing wrong. When I asked him about it he said it was just business because I had signed for WCW." [paraphrasing]

Also, with the publicity Savages death got, they couldnt have not done that tribute to him when he died. The stockholders wouldnt have been jumping for joy when that backlash came if they just ignored him.

But an article, written in glowing terms personally by Vince McMahon, in TIME magazine? The stockholders would have had no such expectation. It seems much more like catharsis for Vince.

I know you can be like a dog with a bone but I've got to get a report finished before going home so probably won't answer anymore for the next few hours. But if you do choose to carry on the discussion will you at least firstly acknowledge that the original rumour that started it all ("Macho Man had his way with Stephanie (she was about 14 then) back in 94/95 and that Vince found out and that was the true ending for Macho Man in WWF.") cannot possibly be true?

• Paid Members

I'm not being like a dog with a bone at all. I'm dont give a fuck either way, to be honest and I certainly dont want to believe that one of my heroes is into shagging young girls. But, I just dont buy that Savage left to go to WCW and he still holds a grudge against him. Especially after he tried to get him back twice when he WCW contract was done. Makes no sense, especially given McMahon's track record of putting personal feelings aside to do business.

The original rumour of "Macho Man had his way with Stephanie (she was about 14 then) back in 94/95 and that Vince found out and that was the true ending for Macho Man in WWF" isnt what I'm talking about anyway. Vince never got rid of Savage. Savage left the WWF because his contract was up. I'm taking about him shagging Stephanie, and Vince finding out years later, thus being backballed completely. The fact Savages own brother believes its probably true, gives me enough reason to think there is something in it.

• Paid Members

I hate writing reports. I'll get on with it later.

I'm not being like a dog with a bone at all. Makes no sense, especially given McMahon's track record of putting personal feelings aside to do business.

Sorry mate, I was trying to be tactful in the way that I wrote but probably didn't do so properly. I didn't mean that you were being like a dog with a bone at that point but that (given it's a quirk of yours, as I'm sure you'd probably attest) I was thinking that my countering your counter to my counter would be met with an immediate counter and escalate.

I shouldn't particularly care about the issue either but, like the "Orton shits in divas' bags" rumour that I debunked earlier, it's one of those things that irritates me, because I remember the bullshit context in which it started.

Anyway, that fucking report's not gonna write itself ... and my missus isn't going to pick herself up from the train station. Need to crack on.

Archived