Wrestling Myths

JohnnyChimpo

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most people get the "Two takers" thing from just how he looked. When he first came in he was ugly and ginger. Then 5/6 years later, he'd put on some size dyed his hair black and looked more "The part". Most casual fans just thought it was a different bloke.

To be honest it tricked me aswell. I watched WWF up until about 93 where his gimmick was pretty much unchanged, I then abandonned ship and went to WCW until 98/99 when he was doing the ministry thing with the slick black hair and huge shoulder pad thing and I genuinely thought it was a different fella. I only realised that it had been Mark Callaway all along when he started doing the American Badass thing and I finally twigged.

• Paid Members
One small that kind of bugs me, largely because almost everybody cites it as fact, even wrestlers, is WWE's no compete clause.

Paul Bearer posted the exact wording of the clause when he got released a few years back: They don't have a no compete clause. What they have is a clause allowing them to terminate people as long as they give them 90 days notice. It serves the same purpose, because people obviously can't work for TNA etc while they are still under contract to WWE but it still isn't the same thing (particularly in legal terms since a no compete clause probably wouldn't hold up in court).

They can work untelevised or recorded for DVD independent shows during this period too can they not? Or is that a privilege only granted by special permission?

Brian Danielson was back in EVOLVE and Chikara very quickly after the tie-gate incident.

I think so, yes. Danielson was allowed to work for Evolve and DGUSA but not appear on the actual Pay Per View broadcasts wasn't he?

Didn't Angle forfeit his pay from WWE and skip the 90 days so he could join TNA as a surprise?

No. I'm pretty sure Angle either didn't have the 90 day release clause in his contract (which as a main eventer isn't a surprise) or WWE didn't enforce it because they were genuinely worried about the possibility of him dying while under contract. Though I'm sure Angle's told a few different stories about it. I'm sure they gave Lashley a release straight away as well, supposedly in exchange for him not talking about any racial comments etc, that had been made.

I'm sure it was Raven who forfeited the 90 days pay to turn up as a surprise on one of those weekly PPVs they were doing.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the 93,173! To be honest a thread like this is just going to turn into another 'Sleaze List' thread. Best just to go through that and then say what's real and what's fake.

Last time that happened, more of it was confirmed true than a lot of people make out. Whenever it's brought up its always in a "90% of them are no doubt made up" kind of way. I think the guy who archived it even says something similar when there's actually quite a few that have been confirmed by various sources and/or taken place on TV.

That said, the most famous one to come from it (Savage/Steph) is clearly false in the way it was written there.

Given the way everyone else has reacted over the years, I think whatever went down between Savage and Vince is something nobody knows except Vince himself.

I though the Eddie one was true, he was going to turn on Batista as his obvious pretend face turn was leading there and take the belt back. However this match was scheduled for Manchester or Birmingham I believe so I am both skeptical Eddie would have taken it and sad that we missed out on a possible world title change in the UK.

It was the combined taping in Minneapolis. The UK tour was the next week. Eddie's heel turn did take place in Birmingham that April though, so it would have been a nice nod to that if his proper turn on Batista had taken place there.

Sid crapping his tights vs Taker at WM13

IIRC that comes from an interview with Taker where he told that story about Sid but never mentioned what event (presumably a House Show). Only he and Sid know the truth there. The WM 13 part is a myth.

That New Jack was going to be the one stabbed John Cena in the nightclub in that storyline with Carlito.

Ahhhh I remember that he was apparently gonna debut at the Royal Rumble.

Shame that one wasn't true. A year before that I'd have never bought New Jack coming to WWE but he was well toned down his NWA:TNA run just before that and I think WWE New Jack could have been a laugh while it lasted.

One of my favourites whether true or not, was the Undertaker taking a dump in Jerry Lawlers crown at his first Royal Rumble appearance. 1995 i think.

'93. It was King's first PPV and the story is that someone decided to get revenge for the measly Memphis pay-offs. The Kliq wasn't around back then, although I suppose you could speculate Michaels and Razor were involved. Paul Bearer claimed it was Steve Keirn, but I've also heard the incident 'credited' Hennig and Undertaker. IIRC the rest of the story is always that Vince supposedly put a stop to it after Lawler left the crown on his desk because he didn't want to damage the relationship with USWA.

Lawler confirmed that someone/people did take a dump in his crown and that's not the kind of thing you'd think someone would like to put in their book about themselves so I don't think that one's a myth.

I'm sure some story was in the "Sleeze" thread that had Shawn michaels pulling 3 or 4 birds, and once down to the action he just stood up an pissed on all 4 of them. Again could be a myth, but doesnt really suprise me from old school michaels.

But other than the fact that has Michaels in it, it has nothing to do with wrestling. Wrestling sleaze can fuck right off as far as this thread is concerned. Lets keep it to things that are about wrestling, and not

• Paid Members
Kerry Von Erich playing Ivan Drago in Rocky 4

He did get into the top three choices for the part, according to Meltzer. I wonder who the other guy was.

Another Kerry Von Erich one (that's even repeated on the WCCW DVD), was that he was going to the Olympics (either 1980 or 1984) until some wrestler "injured" his discus throwing hand.

Kerry Von Erich playing Ivan Drago in Rocky 4

He did get into the top three choices for the part, according to Meltzer. I wonder who the other guy was.

Another Kerry Von Erich one (that's even repeated on the WCCW DVD), was that he was going to the Olympics (either 1980 or 1984) until some wrestler "injured" his discus throwing hand.

I believe he was hoping to represent the US in the 1980 Olympics in Discus, but the US boycotted the Games that year, due to the fact they were in Moscow, and they opposed the Afgan war. Kerry stuck with wrestling after that.

Going from various wrestlers books, some guys get the lawyers on the case to wave this 90 day things. In certain states (some are a "right to work" state) the 90 thing just doesnt hold up in court at all.

Going from various wrestlers' books, some guys get the lawyers on the case to waive this 90 day things.

Thank you.

Shouldn't that be thing and not things at the end? Or this should be these?

• Paid Members
Going from various wrestlers books, some guys get the lawyers on the case to wave this 90 day things. In certain states (some are a "right to work" state) the 90 thing just doesnt hold up in court at all.

Going from various wrestlers' books, some guys get the lawyers on the case to waive this 90 day things.

Thank you.

Shouldn't that be thing and not things at the end? Or this should be these?

One or the other, definitely.

Somebody swat that cunt.

Archived