Greatest Ever Worked Shoot?

IronSheik

• Paid Members
Nothing will ever compare to the late Brian Pillman actually managing to get Eric Bischoff to legitimately fire him from WCW as 'part of the angle', to enable him to move to the WWF for more money. Genius.

The night he showed up at the ECW Arena, clearly off his marbles. Absolute magic.

Having watched the original One Night Stand recently for the first time in absolutely ages, Heyman's worked shoot promo towards the Raw & SmackDown invaders doesn't hold up very well. In fact, it's aged horribly. The majority of Internet fans at the time summed up in an eight minute segment.

RVD's promo on the same show is still a belter though.

• Awards Moderator
The Matt Hardy one from 2005 started off really well, but went down hill really quickly once they let Matt talk...

That's the one I was going to mention - for a little while when he first turned up on RAW, I wondered if it was all for real. Then it clearly wasn't. But it worked, for a bit.

The Matt Hardy one from 2005 started off really well, but went down hill really quickly once they let Matt talk...

The Matt Hardy angle is everything that's wrong with worked shoots. It was never going to work. It couldn't. Simple as.

The Matt Hardy angle is everything that's wrong with worked shoots. It was never going to work. It couldn't. Simple as.

Absolutely not. The Kane involvement hampered it further.

Overall, I think fans are either way too smart - or not smart enough - for worked-shoot angles in the modern day. The smart fans will roll their eyes and the not-so-smart ones will be left scratching their heads. It doesn't work anymore. Thank the Internet.

Heyman's on Smackdown was absolutely brilliant because it had a greater purpose, and actually could have been perfectly placed at the start of the Invasion, rather than at the very end. Backward Invasion booking though innit? The One Night Stand one was just shameless pandering, but to be honest, that was all it needed to be. There was no higher purpose to it, so for that reason, I think you can give it a bit of a free pass.

CM Punk's earlier this year has to be up there for immediate impact. The shockwaves the next day were like nothing anyone had experienced in years. However, I feel it will age horribly based on the follow up angles and many of his lesser performances following it.

Add me to the list of Pillman fans, I absolutely love that whole run.

• Paid Members

The initial nWo storyline for sure. Those first two months when Hall and Nash would show up and all the heels and babyfaces would just stop their business and stand side by side was so fresh and inventive. It was compelling as fuck. Just excellent.

The worst was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS8ksd5jFNI

"Bill Goldberg believes in his own little mind, that if this world was REAL, he could kick everybody's ass"

Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea?

Absolutely not. The Kane involvement hampered it further.

Don't be silly. It worked because people thought Matt genuinely was jealous enough to beat Edge to a pulp, as soon as he actually appeared in the WWE that was gone. There was nothing they could have done. The whole intrigue relied on fans knowing that Matt had been screwed over by anyone, but when he came back it was obvious that wasn't the case anymore and everything was fine. There was literally bugger all they could have done in terms of getting a buyrate or a rating out of it.

Archived