It Begins - Vignette

KingOfMetal

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd mark. I used to love Savio Vega!

I bet No Way Out 98 was like Christmas coming early for you!

Without looking at wikipedia I already knew what you were referring to. Michaels can't compete in the 8 man tag so the entire ppv is built around "who will be his replacement."

At two hours of build, the fans react with roaring indifference when THE MAN Savio Vega comes put. I remember Lawler saying "DX might not be aware but they have a hell of a partner there" and he was right! This is the man who beat Goldust for the IC title (we'll ignore the fact that the decision was nullified two seconds after), beat Austin in a strap match, sent the Million Dollar Man packing from the WWE, won the first ever WWE triple threat match and took on the combined might of fake Diesel and fake Razor.

Damn right it was like Christmas coming early!

It's Jericho - it's got bits of his tron through it the same way the 'save_us' vignettes did. Very clever.

Please elaborate

There's a vid kicking around where the 'save_us' vignettes were put through super slow-mo and when you watch it frames from the tron are through the vignette and the guy has done the same thing this time around.

The bit you can 'see' in the latest installment is round about the bit with the puddle and swings...the city and people at the traffic lights crossing the road is in it and that's in jericho's tron.

Cue laughter and abuse no doubt :)

• Paid Members

(wakes up)

Huh? What?

This is the man who beat Goldust for the IC title (we'll ignore the fact that the decision was nullified two seconds after), beat Austin in a strap match, sent the Million Dollar Man packing from the WWE, won the first ever WWE triple threat match and took on the combined might of fake Diesel and fake Razor.

Sorry, fact fans, but this one's a little off the mark. Shawn, Bret and Sid were knocking out Triple Threat matches on the house shows early in 1997 well before the "Ground Zero" match I believe "the ref" is thinking of, although bizarrely a quick check tells me that on the same show as those three first rumbled for the title, there was also one pitting our old mate Ahmed against Farooq and Mankind.

I know what you're thinking, house shows don't count. If I didn't happen on TV, it didn't happen, right?

The first televised Triple Threat match in WWF history was Owen Hart defending the Intercontinental title against Hunter and Goldust on a June '97 Raw.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It's Lesnar and Sable I think. The timing's is too coincidental, Lesnar retiring from MMA a couple of days before, I think he had a good idea he would lose to Overeem, and had a verbal agreement to do Wrestlemania with WWE if he lost. If he won his fight and stayed in MMA, the vigenettes could easily be explained as Undertaker, and Lesnar could return down the road for a one shot deal.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

(wakes up)

Huh? What?

This is the man who beat Goldust for the IC title (we'll ignore the fact that the decision was nullified two seconds after), beat Austin in a strap match, sent the Million Dollar Man packing from the WWE, won the first ever WWE triple threat match and took on the combined might of fake Diesel and fake Razor.

Sorry, fact fans, but this one's a little off the mark. Shawn, Bret and Sid were knocking out Triple Threat matches on the house shows early in 1997 well before the "Ground Zero" match I believe "the ref" is thinking of, although bizarrely a quick check tells me that on the same show as those three first rumbled for the title, there was also one pitting our old mate Ahmed against Farooq and Mankind.

I know what you're thinking, house shows don't count. If I didn't happen on TV, it didn't happen, right?

The first televised Triple Threat match in WWF history was Owen Hart defending the Intercontinental title against Hunter and Goldust on a June '97 Raw.

I will gladly old my hands up and admit I could be wrong. I just really vividly remember Savio winning the first televised triple threat match.

He's still the fucking man though. :D

• Paid Members

It's Lesnar and Sable I think. The timing's is too coincidental, Lesnar retiring from MMA a couple of days before, I think he had a good idea he would lose to Overeem, and had a verbal agreement to do Wrestlemania with WWE if he lost. If he won his fight and stayed in MMA, the vigenettes could easily be explained as Undertaker, and Lesnar could return down the road for a one shot deal.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

You must be joking. No big name fighter on the planet makes a contingency plan for what they'll do if they lose and much less has "a good idea" they're going to lose! No one signs for a fight they think they're going to lose, that basically guarantees they will, and in Ultimate that risks both injury AND humiliation. Might as well sit down and say "this is what I'm doing WHEN I lose" and I think Lesnar has far too much self-respect for that.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

From the moment the YouTube link appeared during Punk/Ziggler right up to today, I've believed it will be Jericho. The actual content of the vignette(s) was completely secondary, a viral vignette is just such a Jericho thing to do, I refuse to entertain the thought of it being anyone else. I would stake my reputation on it, if only I had one.

I will gladly old my hands up and admit I could be wrong. I just really vividly remember Savio winning the first televised triple threat match.

It was the first on PPV Triple Threat match. To be honest I thought it was really weird booking because I thought Los Boricuas were the least over of the three factions. The Nation were fairly over brutal ass-kickers and DOA seemed to have a few fans, the Boricuas were just.... there. Maybe they HAD to win the big matches, like SummerSlam against DOA and that Triple Threat match, to make it seem like they mattered. Of course, the "faction warfare" as Todd described it never really had much of a blow off, so in a way none of it mattered.

I wonder how much better it would have been if Ahmed had stayed fit. Hear me out. No, big Tone was not a super-worker. But he was intense as hell and looked the part, and I thought when Farooq recruited him, it seemed a real big deal. AJ looked an absolute boss stood ringside in the aforementioned SummerSlam eight man, his reaction to Chainz hitting him was priceless, and he responded by KILLING DAT NIGGA DEAD. Of course ultimately "the big Johnson" (as JR referred to him) was replaced in the NoD by young Rocky Maivia. I don't really remember how that worked out.

Honestly, I think Savio was dealt a rough hand. He could go. When the original Nation splintered, he was the one I'd most want to sit down and watch wrestle out of the three, and yet he received the poorest faction to lead. Farooq had his big brown boys that all looked like they could handle themselves, Crush's boys all looked monsters in a "slightly familiar" feel, even if you didnt quite remember the Blu Brothers and didn't recognize Chainz as fake Undertaker, and Savio got saddled with Pasty, Hairy and The Other One. He was fucked then, really.

Alright, the best original Nation member apart from chunky D'Lo. The way he allowed Ahmed to annihilate him with that Pearl River hiptoss through the table at Royal Rumble was incredible, and I still piss myself to this day remembering some letter to Power Slam that declared "D'Lo Brown is a tub of guts in a silly hat."

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

What a fucking bell end you are, you could of at least said it spoiled last nights UFC before hand then I wouldnt of opened it

• Paid Members
SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

What a fucking bell end you are, you could of at least said it spoiled last nights UFC before hand then I wouldnt of opened it

What a fucking bell end you are. You think "could of" means anything. It's "could HAVE" you spastic.

HAS someone spoiled the UFC show?

Someone HAS spoiled the UFC show.

Could they HAVE used spoiler tags?

Yes, they COULD HAVE. Oh wait, actually they did, but apparently "SPOILER" isn't enough for some.

its gonna be undertaker.

but i had this though this afternoon maybe its EDGE. wwe get him to tell us its all over and he's retiring but really he's only injured badly and out for a year. they bring him back at a random event like summerslam and then everyone forgets about him till monday. i would mark out if it was him.

95% its the undertaker

5% its edge

Archived