Summer Festivals 2012

Harvey Dent

• Paid Members

Looks like Sonisphere will announce it's being cancelled tomorrow. Some reports are saying that they've only sold approx 5k tickets, others claiming the Olympics have stopped them getting enough toilets & other facilities. I doubt it could be the latter as this wouldn't have come as a surprise to them & they would've had plenty of time to provide for the impact of the Olympics.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Sonisphere will announce it's being cancelled tomorrow. Some reports are saying that they've only sold approx 5k tickets, others claiming the Olympics have stopped them getting enough toilets & other facilities. I doubt it could be the latter as this wouldn't have come as a surprise to them & they would've had plenty of time to provide for the impact of the Olympics.

if thats happening, Download need to book Andrew W.K. instead. im seeing him in April anyways, but surely there is still space on the Download card to fit him in somewhere

• Paid Members

I thought exactly the same thing about Cypress Hill & Hundred Reasons! Unfortunately I doubt there are many more (decent) slots left for Download to fill? The bill looks pretty much complete.

I'd take Hundred Reasons, wouldnt be fussed about Cypress Hill though. Theres a few others I'd take too, but obviously space is restricted like you said as slots are pretty much full.

If it is due to only selling around 5,000 tickets, then that is ultra dissapointing for something thats boasting KISS and Queen in headline slots. Saying that, if you look at the rest of the line-up, it is a bit ropey. The only other acts that stick out as seeing to me are Faith No More, Mastodon, Andrew W.K. and Refused, everyone else I can take or leave. Download definately has won the line-up contest this year

Yeah I was just talking with a mate about it. I know it's a matter of taste but I can't see how it's any less popular than other festival lineups purely from that standpoint. They did take a while to get it together though with Download steaming ahead in the meantime. Must be a combination of a few things.

• Paid Members

It's definitely off, poor ticket sales have put it under. This will cost Killive shitloads in cancellation fees alone! I didn't the lineup was too bad but certainly not worth the cost involved of a full festival weekend, as proven by the fact they reportedly had only sold a tiny amount of tickets.

AEG (the backers for soni) pulled out two weeks ago, they've tried to carry on but without backing, and when they couldn't pay the deposit for kiss, they were fucked.

They still owe 50% on the cancellation fee's for the headliners as well, killi are proper, proper fucked.

• Paid Members

think there's several reasons why it happened, but the main one i guess is just the sheer competition from other festivals, there's around 6-7 major festivals now, the ticket prices are huge, then you add in all the little budget festivals which are springing up everywhere, and people are just turning away.

Glad i got Download tickets now, cause i was close to picking Sonisphere.

Archived