Summer Festivals 2012

Harvey Dent

i thought Soni 11 was one of the best fests I have ever been to - but this years line-up didn't really do it for me at all - true there were a lot of undercard bands I would have liked to see but couldn't justify forking out for the whole fest.

I will say im surprised it has been cancelled though - I thought a lot of the Queen fanbase would have been snapping up tickets and a lot of old school rockers. Perhaps they didn't want to pay to see two original members with a singer hardly anybody this side of the pond has heard of. Also the late announcements compared with download can't have helped. I wonder if they were trying for other big name bands and a lot of them fell through.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Planning to go to the first 2 days of the Wireless Festival this year.

Just curious though, how long do the support acts perform for in general?

On day one, the only artist I want to see is Childish Gambino, the rest are more dance-dubstep type performers so I'm wondering if it would be worth it if he's only going to be for a little while...

Planning to go to the first 2 days of the Wireless Festival this year.

Just curious though, how long do the support acts perform for in general?

On day one, the only artist I want to see is Childish Gambino, the rest are more dance-dubstep type performers so I'm wondering if it would be worth it if he's only going to be for a little while...

It'll vary from festival to festival and depeding what time of day they are one. Last festival i went to (Download 2010) most acts had around 40min sets early in the day, then early evening goes up, I seem to recall Megadeth had about an hour for their set and they were on around 6:00 (I think).

Download have added Refused! Fuck yes! Not quite sure where on the lineup they'll be, but there's a only a few bands I'd go see over them so hopefully no horrible clash.

Also added are Gallows, Black Spiders, Don Bronco, Lower Than Atlantis, Kobra And The Lotus, Four Year Strong, Edguy, Rival Sons, Fearless Vampire Killers, Porter Robinson, T. Mills and Kids In Glass Houses.

And also announced just now are Lawnmower Deth, No Americana, Silent Descent, Six Hour Sundown, Skindred and The Union

• Paid Members

More bands added to Download -

Andy Copping

Ladies & gentlemen please welcome Lawnmower Deth, No Americana, Silent Descent, Six Hour Sundown, Skindred, The Union to Download 2012

Skindred is an awesome addition, they're confirmed to be 3rd from top on 2nd stage..clashing with Tenacious D. That's awesome for me as I saw Ten D in 2008 & thought they were cack so this is great alternative.

Download bill is looking tremendous this year. When Gallows are on 4th stage you know it's a strong line-up.

• Paid Members

Global Gathering have announced their line-up for this years' festival. Lack of real massive star names, but there is a strong emphasis around the current booming Dubstep scene. Line up includes the following:

Main stage

Chase & Status

Tinie Tempah

Afrojack

Labrinth

Friendly Fires

Maverick & Sabre

DJ Fresh

State of Trance (as it says on the tin)

Armin van Buuren

Markus Schulz

Aly & Fila

Metropolis (Dubstep & a bit of deebee)

Nero

Sub Focus

Benga

Modestep

Flux Pavilion

Shy FX

Doctor P

UKF Bass Culture (more Dubstep, deebee, other heavy bass-orientated genres)

Skrillex

Knife Party

Zane Lowe

Andy C

Rinse (seems to be more Dubstep, but in the more traditional South London grimier sense)

Magnetic Man

Boy Better Know

Skepta

Ms Dynamite

Zinc

Plastician

Godskitchen (trance & tech)

Above & Beyond

Gareth Emery

Ferry Corsten

John O'Callaghan

Cosmic Gate

Simon Patterson

Mark Eteson

Visionquest (fuck knows what this is about)

Visionquest

[seth Troxler

Shaun Reeves

I don't know who any of this lot are, so fuck knows the style of this tent

Electric (bit of jump-up electro shiznit)

Annie Mac

Fake Blood

Jack Beats

Steve Aoki

Hospitality (liquid Drum N Bass, presumably)

Netsky

High Contrast

Danny Byrd

Roni Size

London Elektricity

Global (not sure, a house-come-electro-come-trance hybrid perhaps)

Jamie Jones

Joris Voorn

Nic Fanciulli

Sasha

Toolroom Knights (funky house by the look of the line-up, until you get to SvD...which is a strange addition to this tent)

Mark Knight (of Hed Kandi fame)

Funkagenda

Michael Woods

John Dahlback

Paul Thomas

Sander van Doorn

Looks pretty damn good, especially for someone like me that wouldn't be fussed about a huge marquee name. It looks like they're going with Tinie Tempah as one of their marquee names anyway, wouldn't be fussed about seeing him. A huuuuge Dubstep feel to it this year- you can literally see anyone worth seeing on the Dubstep scene at this festival. Nero, Chase & Status, Skrillex, Sub Focus, Flux Pavillion, Doctor P, Magnetic Man (Skream & Benga)- you have pretty much all the top names from the scene right there.

No Swedes though, which is surprising, especially in the case or Eric Prydz who unlike the Swedish House Mafia is based in England. Overall definitely scaled-down on the house side of things too this year, which is quite surprising as it has a much stronger fanbase than trance over here, but then again you will get a lot of Europeans travel over for this event- and they will be up for the Armin & Gods tents. I would've thought a Swedish House Mafia & David Guetta main stage would've been a massive draw for the event, perhaps they couldn't tempt them away from Ibiza or Miami or wherever the fuck they will be.

Archived