Summer Festivals 2012

Harvey Dent

• Paid Members

the thing with Festival's these days is there's so many of them. When Reading/Leeds were selling out in hours there was no other rock festivals about other than the odd 1 off thing. These days you got various big ones, then the smaller rock festivals like Bloodstock, Hevy, Slam Dunk which all cater for the same audience but at a much cheaper price.

I honestly think Sonisphere just got priced out of the market this year, the lineup was good but it was simply a case of too much to choose from. Download does ok because it's established. Many people that goto Download every year regardless of the price because they are happy the festival. Sonisphere is always playing catchup because they essentially offer the same thing for the same price.

The headline slot is a weird one these days, pretty much every headline band possible has been at the top of a Download/Sonisphere/Reading bill already so it's tough. I think Download will always do alright though due to the name value of the whole thing, lots of people will go no matter who's headlining.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm seriously contemplating going to the Hevy festival in August. I just need to get a new tent, my old one has a rip in it. Any recommendaions for tents, I'm looking to get a blackout one if possible.

fancying Hevy myself, the lineup this year is fucking excellent, i won't be going but it's a seriously good looking lineup. I might try it next year.

the thing with Festival's these days is there's so many of them. When Reading/Leeds were selling out in hours there was no other rock festivals about other than the odd 1 off thing

I take your point, but when Reading first expanded to Leeds in 99 - you could get weekend tickets on the door. It only really started to be a guaranteed sell-out in the mid 00s. And there were a hell of a lot less festivals in the late 90s. Same with Glasto - in the 90s you could get tickets easily, now its impossible to get them. I blame it on the surge of all the internet ticket selling sites who snap them all up straight away. Or in Ticketmasters case - hand them to their sister sites and charge extra on top. But even these sites are starting to realize now people won't fork out well over the odds when there are so many other fests about.

I'm going as well. Not been in years so the repetitive nature of the lineup doesn't fuss me. Quite like the idea of seeing many of the bands on there. Seen Keane and want more. Seen Frank Turner and want more. Then you have bands like Stone Roses, Kasabian, Amy MacDonald, Florence and the Machine, New Order that I haven't seen.

Frank Turner should be fun. Missed him due to idiocy at Leeds a couple of years back. New Order could be OK, except that I don't really believe them to be New Order any more. The rest of those don't interest me at all. I wish I could find a full line-up somewhere though. I can deal with them not publishing stage times in advance (it's shit, but it's not an insurmountable problem) but not actually announcing all the bands that are there is really annoying, especially since at T In The Park there are probably a handful of local bands that I know of and might actually want to support.

New Order could be OK, except that I don't really believe them to be New Order any more.

They're supposed to be really good right now live. It's the best I can do as I've never seen them before, and the other headliners that night really don't interest me.

• 2 weeks later...

Main three stages for the three days at T...

Main Stage: Snow Patrol, Florence and the Machine, Example, Kaiser Chiefs, The Darkness

NME Stage: Tinie Tempah, Professor Green, Olly Murs, The Temper Trap, Feeder, Hilltop Hoods

King Tuts: New Order, The Cribs, Miike Snow, Labrinth, Cher Lloyd, Dot Rotten

=====================================================================

Main Stage: The Stone Roses, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Jessie J, The Vaccines, Simple Minds, Emeli Sande, The Wailers, Shed Seven, The View

NME Stage : David Guetta, Two Door Cinema Club, The Courteeners, Enter Shikari, Rizzle Kicks, Dappy, Devlin, Stooshe, Cover Drive

King Tuts: Calvin Harris, Amy MacDonald, The Maccabees, Ben Howard, J Cole, Alabama Shakes, Childish Gambino, Flux Pavilion, Blood Red Shoes, Alt-J

=======================================================================

Main Stage: Kasabian, Elbow, Chase and Status, Keane, Bombay Bicycle Club, James Morrison, Twin Atlantic, McFly, Nicola Benedetti

NME Stage: Swedish House Mafia, Nicki Minaj, Happy Mondays, Frank Turner, Maverick Sabre, Rita Ora, The Subways, The Brilliant Things

King Tuts: Skrillex, Nero, The Enemy, Miles Kane, The Wanted, Christina Perri, Fun, The Coronas, The Original Rudeboys

The lineup can be found at the website apparently, but it's down for me. I got it from the Facebook.

That's my ticket to Hevy booked, though I am a bit annoyed that 2 of the bands I want to see namely The Bots and Mixtapes are playing Friday afternoon. Hopefully I'll be able to get there early enough to see them considering I've got like a 5 hour drive to ge there.

• Paid Members
That's my ticket to Hevy booked, though I am a bit annoyed that 2 of the bands I want to see namely The Bots and Mixtapes are playing Friday afternoon. Hopefully I'll be able to get there early enough to see them considering I've got like a 5 hour drive to ge there.

make sure you go and see Will Haven.

• Paid Members

img-lineup-home-2012.jpg

2nd annual Merthyr Rock, lineup's looking decent again...they've definitly gone for the young Kerrang! style lineup for most of it (there's more bands announced than on the poster), but the conveniance of it all means im going regardless of who's playing (10 miles from the house), had the luxury of coming home and going to bed last year before going again the next day :)

ive also got this one which is about 3 miles down the road...

lineup-page-4.jpg

i fucking love it.

make sure you go and see Will Haven.

I've seen them before, plus I thonk they clash with Madball, so they're getting missed.

Archived