Summer Festivals 2012

Harvey Dent

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The worst clash at Hevy Fest is Converge, Hundred Reasons (playing 'Ideas') and Descendents. Shitty situation

:confused: that's fucking harsh.

Hundred Reasons all the way. I remember seeing them supporting muse 10 years ago in Newport Center. What a gig.

• Paid Members
The worst clash at Hevy Fest is Converge, Hundred Reasons (playing 'Ideas') and Descendents. Shitty situation

:confused: that's fucking harsh.

Hundred Reasons all the way. I remember seeing them supporting muse 10 years ago in Newport Center. What a gig.

Ahh i missed that one, but i did see Hundred Reasons play second fiddle to a few hardcore bands at TJ's back in the day.

That sign you can see on the screens is telling us that the Slam Tent had to be shut because it was sinking. Well, that notice didn't say that, but that was what was going on. The Cabaret tent was in the same area and had to be shut.

Anyways, was it all bad? Fuck no. First off, the between band stuff in the King Tuts tent was a total joy. It was a total party atmosphere. Secondly, the weather. It appears we got off lightly where we were camping and didn't get much flooding. The bottom of our tent got a bit wet but it was easy to put up with.

Highlights:

Olly Murs

Florence and the Machine

Enter Shikari

The Maccabees

Amy MacDonald

McFly

The Wanted

Frank Turner

The Enemy

Elbow

Kasabian

The Maccabees are a band who I don't pay much attention to, but they were on before Amy MacDonald so I gave them a shot, and it was fun. Olly Murs was a clear highlight of the Friday. So much fun. The Wanted could have been brilliant if I gave them more time, but I went to see Frank Turner some way through and he did a rare thing in that he played a new song and it was the highlight of the set.

Didn't enjoy Stone Roses much because I was fucking knackered by that point, but all in all it was a good weekend.

I'm delighted I gave T a miss this year. For my personal tastes, it was the worst line-up the festival has ever had. The weather situation would have just made the whole thing completely dismal for me: I'm not a big Stone Roses fan so I wasn't fussed about them at all. Actually, the only act I was remotely interested in seeing was Little Roy doing his 'Battle for Seattle' album, who I believe was on during the middle of the day on the Transmissions stage.

I've been to T five times and I've had a brilliant time every year (though in saying that I must be one of the luckiest in terms of weather for TITP, out of the five times I've been it's rained twice for about an hour), but I don't think I'll be back. It's getting ridiculously expensive, the acts are bland, repetitive or mostly uninteresting and the festival seems to give people an idea that it's a license to behave like a cunt. A couple of my friends have said that the Sunday was notably quieter than Friday/Saturday this year because of the weather. Also, what the hell is the deal with the gap between the stage and the crowd on the Main Stage? I know they added the circle in a few years back, but from the photos I have seen there is an outrageous amount of space between the act and the fans.

Unless Geoff Ellis gets his finger out and does something pretty remarkable for next year's 20th anniversary, I don't envision myself going again. I get the impression that quite a lot of others are beginning to suss it out too.

Archived