Summer Festivals 2012

Harvey Dent

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were some mighty fine titties on display during The Steel Panther set, the ones the band actually pointed out were as good a set of tits that your ever likely to see.

This is why Steel Panther are one of my favourite live bands. Despite the obvious irony of the grotesquely misogynist lyrics, girls turn into total sluts when sexy Michael Starr does his thing. :D

I was chatting to one of my mates who went to Download last night and he said That Steel Panther was about the only time the sun came out all weekend. Where he camped was on a hill and there were bunch of tents near he bottom of the hill that were completely flooded, but he still had a goos time. When it came to Steel Panther his girlfriend was whinging about all the girls getting their tits out, but she did say if her tits looked like the girls at the end of this video she would show them off. NSFW Steel Panther Party all day at download 2012. http://youtu.be/Jfd2Z1KkjdI

According to the Download twitter feed, one of next years headliners is already booked but not going to be announced until the end of the year. Early bird tickets go on sale Friday at 9:00am, and they are introducing a new deposit scheme for 2013 tickets.

Not sure on who the booked headliner could be. I'm going to take a punt on Tool, who to my recollection haven't been over here since the arena tour in 2006 and will have put out a new album by next June

In such a precarious time for festivals, Tool would be a massive risk as a headliner.

I bloody love Tool but they aren't relevant per se, won't inspire the younger market to part with their cash (they haven't really transferred as an essential act for younger people to check out, like Metallica or Prodigy have for example) and don't promise a festival/party atmosphere to get the casual fans going.

A somber, sober (hey? ...see what I did there?) and cerebral experience isn't really suited to a festival main stage.

I saw Tool in 2001 at Ozzfest in Donnington and they were just sort of weird. The big part of that is they dopn't write memorable anthemic songs, so as far as being on a main stage it was just them doing their usual meandaring pseudo-intelectual wanking in front of a fairly bored crowd.

• Paid Members
In such a precarious time for festivals, Tool would be a massive risk as a headliner.

I bloody love Tool but they aren't relevant per se, won't inspire the younger market to part with their cash (they haven't really transferred as an essential act for younger people to check out, like Metallica or Prodigy have for example) and don't promise a festival/party atmosphere to get the casual fans going.

A somber, sober (hey? ...see what I did there?) and cerebral experience isn't really suited to a festival main stage.

Tool have already headlined the main stage at Download back in 2006.

That's why I said 'in such a precarious time for festivals'.

Since 2008, but especially since 2010, festivals have been on a hiding to nothing. The experience doesn't sell like it use to, in 2005/2006 Reading would sell out within seconds. Same with Download or whatever. These days you need to resort to your bankable stars who are going to tickle the bellies of the teenage audience, appeal to the casuals who just want to sing and have a laugh and appeal to muso's by being in some way relevant.

Sonisphere learnt this the hard way. They want for bands who, on paper, are big enough to headline a festival.

But, for a festival audience they were terrible picks. Queen aren't a band that have carried to a young, teenage rock audience; the Adam Lambert association meant that the casual fans would take it or leave it and meant that they weren't particularly relevant either. Kiss have similar problems, with the only people who give a shit about them being the people within their circle of fans who don't give a shit just how many times they've sold their soul.

• Paid Members

Exactly this. It was always widely considered that if you were an 'arena band' or a big reformation (ala Faith No More) then you could be considered a festival headliner. After Faith No More, Kiss & Queen failed to shift hardly any tickets this year & even R&L haven't sold out (depsite introducing their own payment plan scheme, which btw Download are doing next year too) it's apparent people are being much more selective over line-ups than they were a few years ago.

Personally I reckon Iron Maiden are a shoe in for Download next year. It'll be 6 years since they last played so are due a return, plus they're a band that always shift a good number of tickets.

Personally I reckon Iron Maiden are a shoe in for Download next year. It'll be 6 years since they last played so are due a return, plus they're a band that always shift a good number of tickets.

Nicko said in an interview recently that Iron Maiden will not play Download again because "its changed too much since the Monsters Of Rock days".

There's the annual Van Halen rumour, also seen as the year ends with an odd number it could be Def Leppard again

• Paid Members

After VH pulled this year & Andy Copping said something about them 'acting like dickheads' (or words to that effect) I can't see it being them. I also doubt Van Halen's drawing power outside the USA. Didn't an Australian festival they were meant to headline end up cancelling through lousy ticket sales?

It was indeed it was the Soundwave Festival but the promoters blamed the face they couldn't get a second headliner which was meant to be Aerosmith so who knows maybe Aerosmith for Download seeing as they have a new CD that is meant to be out soon

Archived