Summer Festivals 2012

Harvey Dent

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
On my way back from Hard Rock Calling. Soundgarden were immense and the sound at Hyde Park was actually half decent for once. Really impressed at all the bark they'd put down to prevent it becoming a mudbath.

Glad to hear the bark is working, as I'll be there tomorrow. Tom Morello, Gary Clark Jr, John Fogerty and Bruce Springsteen will suit me nicely, and the lack of any major mudbath is pleasing news too.

Heard there was plenty of SERIOUSLY pissed off people at Hard Rock Calling tonight.

Sound was apparently shite and then at the end Bruce brings out Sir Paul McCartney to do a tribute to Clarence Clemons and some muppet decides that as it's past curfew they'll pull the sound entirely. Even though Bruce and the ESB ALWAYS break curfew and ALWAYS pay their fines straight away.

I doubt many big names will be back after hearing the way those 2 were shafted tonight.

Also heard Soundgarden's sound was terrible on Friday night too.

Heard there was plenty of SERIOUSLY pissed off people at Hard Rock Calling tonight.

Sound was apparently shite and then at the end Bruce brings out Sir Paul McCartney to do a tribute to Clarence Clemons and some muppet decides that as it's past curfew they'll pull the sound entirely. Even though Bruce and the ESB ALWAYS break curfew and ALWAYS pay their fines straight away.

I doubt many big names will be back after hearing the way those 2 were shafted tonight.

Also heard Soundgarden's sound was terrible on Friday night too.

Hyde Park is really strict for curfews due to its location. That's really fucking shitty to cut off Springsteen and McCartney though, even more so after people have been standing in the rain all day. How is a couple extra minutes disturbing anyone? Yet shutting off half the motorway lanes for Olympics not? I know that's not a particularly relavant comparison, but in the context I don't think a few more minutes, at least to finish the fucking song, really isn't going to cause a mass uproar.

Like I said in my previous post, the sound was actually decent for once where I was for Soundgarden on friday, it's usually pretty crap there though. I really don't like gigs at Hyde Park in general.

• Awards Moderator

I was there last night and I can testify that there were a lot of very annoyed people, both in the crowd and onstage (check Steven Van Zandt's Twitter for details).

Tom Morello's set was good, John Fogerty was absolutely excellent (Bruce watched him from the side of the stage and joined him for a Status Quo song at the end, of all things) and Springsteen was, as usual, absolutely magnificent. Kicked off with a version of Thunder Road with just him and the piano, brought Morello and Fogerty back on for guest spots, played Born In The USA (which I've never heard live before), and then brings McCartney on which was a massive and amazing surprise! They played I Saw Her Standing There and Twist And Shout, and you could tell Bruce was a bit in awe himself ("I've been waiting 50 years for this", I think were his words).

Then they cut the sound.

Absolute madness. I don't think the band could tell at first, Bruce tried to keep going and had to be told by his tech that nobody could hear him. The band (and McCartney and Morello) were all hanging about ready for 10th Avenue Freezeout, but it never happened. Very disappointing for everyone concerned.

I hope heads are going to roll at HRC for it, because there's justifiably hell on about it. Of all the things to pull the plug on... It shouldn't take away from the fact the rest of the show was great, because it was, but it really put a dampener on things.

On the plus side, it wasn't too muddy - though the combo of woodchip and mud has created a rather unique aroma on my backpack.

• Paid Members
John Fogerty was absolutely excellent (Bruce watched him from the side of the stage and joined him for a Status Quo song at the end, of all things)

:laugh:

Rockin' All Over The World was written by John Fogerty.

• Awards Moderator
John Fogerty was absolutely excellent (Bruce watched him from the side of the stage and joined him for a Status Quo song at the end, of all things)

I had no idea!! How embarrassing. At least I knew 'Proud Mary' was one of his, unlike most of the people around me...

I had no idea!! How embarrassing. At least I knew 'Proud Mary' was one of his, unlike most of the people around me...

Don't feel too bad, a mate of mine said he wasn't bothered about seeing him as the only song he knew was "Slow Ride". Which is actually by Fog Hat.

Much better than Quo!

• 2 months later...
Vodafone just leaked the final headliner for next year......Pearl Jam, they'll join Iron Maiden & Rammstein. I bought an early bird ticket so well happy with this.

Yeah I'm fucking chuffed to bits with that. I'll grab a ticket for sure.

Very happy with that. I heard it was a two horse race between Pearl Jam and Green Day, so I'm glad its Pearl Jam.

So thats Pearl Jam on the Friday, Iron Maiden on Saturda, and Rammstein on the sunday the perfect way to end the weekend

Archived