Bad/substandard films that you like regardless

Vice

I know we have a lot of film discussion on here, but it's pretty much always fruitful since we're a bunch of a nerds. So, what films do you know are kind of bad but you like regardless?

Spy Hard is probably at the top of my list. Yes, some of the jokes are really weak, but there's still some good laughs in there. Anything with Leslie Nielsen in it is instantly watchable for me, and Spy Hard is just a really easy, amusing-enough, cuise-control-mode watch.

40 Days and 40 Nights is a shit film with a stupid major plot point. Yet I find myself watching it, most times, if it's on. Shannyn Sossamon and some purile, mindless entertainment does me just fine.

For ironic appreciation, nothing tops The Pit. It's an utter shambles of a film, in which a sociopath boy wreaks havoc on locals because a bunch of little scruffy monsters called Tralalogs, who live in a pit, tell him too. It's so inconceivably bad that the entertainment value is through the roof.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
For ironic appreciation, nothing tops The Pit. It's an utter shambles of a film, in which a sociopath boy wreaks havoc on locals because a bunch of little scruffy monsters called Tralalogs, who live in a pit, tell him too. It's so inconceivably bad that the entertainment value is through the roof.

Is The Pit the one where there's a demon type thing in the house, it falls forward and when it hits the ground it splits into lots of little imps that run off?

I love most American college flicks from the 97-06ish period, no matter how shit they are. You know, everything from American Pie/10 Things.. downwards. And it's all pretty downwards from there. Can't get enough of them. Pretty much the same film each time, but I think that's what I like about them. Bring It On is included too, that is stupidly watchable.

Death Wish 3 is one of my favourite films ever, and it's undeniably terrible. So many unintentionally hilarious moments - Paul Kersey going for a midnight stroll on a rough estate, twirling an expensive camera around while eating an ice cream, all in order to bait a mugger who he proceeds to shoot in the back with an elephant gun; Kersey greeting the inevitable death of his latest girlfriend at the hands of street trash with a resigned sigh, before never mentioning it again; Kersey and the police chief 'cleaning up' the housing estate by leaving it and its street scum inhabitants blown to smithereens, before strolling off into the sunset. A work of utter, accidental genius.

Two films that immediately spring to mind have already been mentioned: Street Fighter and Bring It On

I nominate The Core. A film packed to the brim with utterly hokey science, but a mindless and enjoyable sci-fi doomsday flick.

I think I saw that recently, was it on the Horror Channel? Me and the wife had a good chuckle at that if it's the same one. I seem to remember Emily Booth getting her knockers out and a policeman who said "Bollocks" a lot.

I

Archived