Bad/substandard films that you like regardless

Vice

Three of my favourite films ever are Existenz, The Life of David Gayle and The Cell.

Existenz was a critical success, granted, but most real people seem to hate it. Also, I don't quite accept that any of these are, in fact poor; I just accept that people are idiots.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Does BMX Bandits count?

Terrible premis/plot, crap dialogue, woeful acting. Utterly dire. But I love it. I had a couple of the tracks from the soundtrack on my ipod for a bit too.

• Paid Members
Does BMX Bandits count?

Been trying to get a decent UK copy of that film for YEARS. It's an Aussie film, isn't it? Nicole Kidman is in there IIRC.

Every copy I have managed to procure has been totally unwatchable because it looks like somebody has smeared a big handful of Vaseline over the lens. Very weird. Just looking for a clean print.

• Paid Members
All the Hugh Grant films as well, I know film buffs don't like them very much but I find them entirely enjoyable regardless. 'About A Boy' and 'Love Actually' especially.

Hugh Grant has never made a bad or substandard film. He's awesome.

Forgot this! As if.

tumblr_lhnv3sp3DJ1qazkdco1_500.gif

I love The Room. I have a picture of a spoon on the wall of my kitchen in tribute to this film.

• Paid Members
Three of my favourite films ever are Existenz, The Life of David Gayle and The Cell.

Existenz was a critical success, granted, but most real people seem to hate it. Also, I don't quite accept that any of these are, in fact poor; I just accept that people are idiots.

The Cell is shit. Amazing film to look at but completely and utterly boring.

• Paid Members

need to get on The Cell, never seen it.

I saw Existenz back in the day with a group of friends, it kind of went down the 'what the fuck' route, but i went back to it years later when i was going through my David Cronenberg-phase, loved it.

I'm due another Davind Cronenberg phase.

The Great Outdoors. John Candy, Dan Ackroyd. Awesome comedy.

Oh and Uncle Buck. Superb.

Again, in what way are these bad or substandard films? THEY'RE NOT.

The Great Outdoors was a massive box office faliure, so probrably gets the "Bad" tag from that. I loved it though.

This.

• Paid Members
The Great Outdoors. John Candy, Dan Ackroyd. Awesome comedy.

Oh and Uncle Buck. Superb.

Again, in what way are these bad or substandard films? THEY'RE NOT.

The Great Outdoors was a massive box office faliure, so probrably gets the "Bad" tag from that. I loved it though.

This.

Did you not pay attention to what chokeout wrote or are you just being deliberately ignorant? The Great Outdoors made $40 million+ in US box office alone, double its initial budget. So, in other words, not 'This'.

Outside the back-to-back awfulness of Crash, M Butterfly and Naked Lunch, no. He went through a phase of boring adaptations but shook himself out of it.

Ah, Crash, yes. I actually liked Naked Lunch, but that's probably down to adoring the book, and it had Robocop in. M Butterfly was kind of a noble failure. Jeremy Irons specialized in those for a bit.

Archived