Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

They will start doing international WrestleManias eventually. It's one of the only things left that they can do to grow the brand, after filling a 100,000 seater stadium. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's in London either. The UK is their largest international market. They'd have to make a decision about start times of course but it isn't insurmountable. I imagine they'd just show it in the US on a short delay, without really acknowledging that it isn't live. Losing 100k domestic buys/subs for one year would be worth it if it grew the international markets and meant they could push Mania as a global phenomenon forever after. 

This was just an off the cuff remark by Boris but hopefully it means he's at least aware of the possibility and the mini-tourism boost it brings for a week either side.

Edited by Pinc

This is HHH's fault for posting that pic of himself on Olympic Way just before NXT Takeover.

Pinc- you made a point about the start times, and that's the key factor into why I don't think they'll do it.

Take last years Wrestlemania for example. Being out on the West coast meant the show was starting at 4pm local time. If they were to hold the event at Wembly, on a Sunday, you'd have to be starting at 6pmGMT for a 10pm finish, or 7pm for an 11pm finish at the absolute latest to then empty 80,000 from a stadium on a Sunday night and near early hours of Monday morning. If you go with the 6pmGMT start time, that means a start in the US at 1pm on the East coast, which is a 10am start on the West.

That brings up the possibility of showing on tape delay, by which time the results of the show are all over the internet for people to see and decide whether or not they're going to bother watching.

Going out of their main market would be too much of a risk for them to take.

As you say, it was just something posed to Boris on twitter so it's not like it holds any water, but to think he is aware of anything other than the nonsense in his head is an insult to the rabbit in his head that operates the controls

Edited by WyattSheepMask

This is HHH's fault for posting that pic of himself on Olympic Way just before NXT Takeover.

Pinc- you made a point about the start times, and that's the key factor into why I don't think they'll do it.

Take last years Wrestlemania for example. Being out on the West coast meant the show was starting at 4pm local time. If they were to hold the event at Wembly, on a Sunday, you'd have to be starting at 6pmGMT for a 10pm finish, or 7pm for an 11pm finish at the absolute latest to then empty 80,000 from a stadium on a Sunday night and near early hours of Monday morning. If you go with the 6pmGMT start time, that means a start in the US at 1pm on the East coast, which is a 10am start on the West.

That brings up the possibility of showing on tape delay, by which time the results of the show are all over the internet for people to see and decide whether or not they're going to bother watching.

Going out of their main market would be too much of a risk for them to take.

As you say, it was just something posed to Boris on twitter so it's not like it holds any water, but to think he is aware of anything other than the nonsense in his head is an insult to the rabbit in his head that operates the controls

That's the Boris Johnson who read ancient literature and classical philosophy at Oxford University, served two terms as Mayor of the most populous city in Europe, and still found time to complete a well-received biography of Winston Churchill. Right?

Yeah I'm sure Roman Reigns vs. Undertaker on an hour's delay is a mindbender for him.

They will start doing international WrestleManias eventually. It's one of the only things left that they can do to grow the brand, after filling a 100,000 seater stadium. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's in London either. The UK is their largest international market. They'd have to make a decision about start times of course but it isn't insurmountable. I imagine they'd just show it in the US on a short delay, without really acknowledging that it isn't live. Losing 100k domestic buys/subs for one year would be worth it if it grew the international markets and meant they could push Mania as a global phenomenon forever after.

It's already a global phenomenon. The network and decline of PPV have taken away some of the negatives of WrestleMania in foreign countries, but there still don't seem to be enough (any?) reasons to make it worthwhile.

There's more chance of WrestleMania or even Summerslam for that matter being held in the UK these days because of the Network  For those that subscribe WWE already have their money for the PPVs anyway. The days when WWE had a strict rule about airing PPVs at 8E/5P for $50 a pop are gone. They can broadcast PPVs on their own terms without upsetting the satellite and cable providers anymore.

They could also Hold it slightly earlier in March and take advantage of the Clocks going forward in the US 2 weeks before ours do so a 6PM UK start is 2 PM EST and 11am PST 

Not a Major difference but gets it on slightly later in the day in the US if that was a major Issue

I don't see why having a show airing mid afternoon on a Sunday would be such a bad thing anyway

Don't think we wil see a Wrestlemania over here in at least the next decade or so but the Network has definately made it more Likely then it ever has that in the future we could see it over here

I agree a Summerslam is more likely before a Mania is tried though 

Purely wishful thinking but I'd like to see a new annual international supershow (doesn't have to be SS or WM). Hold it in a different country each year and try and theme the event around the country it's held in. Ideally put some effort in so it's the number 3 show of the year and not  just a C-level show. As has been mentioned in here, it's very unlikely that we'll see Wrestlemania held in Europe.

On a similar note, I wonder whether they could make Smackdown more of an international brand? Have it taped in a different city outside North America each week - logistically it'd make sense to hold it in a nearby city/country from one week to the next, gradually moving around the world. Hold it in around 50 different cities so they can recycle the circuit each year.

I'm going off on a tangent here but couldn't the Smackdown idea be something TNA could do?

With Wrestlemania being the only strong name show they have, I can see them doing a second show also billed Wrestlemania halfway through the year. That way they get two monster shows and everybody's happy. That could easily work.

Then, of course, after a few years they'll do it 14 times in one year and it'll be back to square one.

Making Summerslsm 4hours last year could be them trying to make it another massive show, but even then they were filling the undercard with utter bumph like the Ziggler/Rusev feud ("Nothing was solved here, and I love it Maggle!")

It just depends on whether or not they put the effort in

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I think it will happen, I think we will get a network special either at the back end of this year or early next and then see where it goes from there.

I don't understand why they haven't held a big stage ppv from over here yet as the money they will make will be silly.

I think there is the time difference but they held a special from japan so it is getting closer i think.

I would quite like a wrestlemania or a royal rumble as those 2 ppv's will always hold a place in my heart

I think it will happen, I think we will get a network special either at the back end of this year or early next and then see where it goes from there.

We are getting a network special in September, arent we? plus Takeover has been done from the UK.

in all honesty, I see it as this: WWE don't need to do any of that. They make enough with regular WM's every year in the US. Whilst i would love it to happen, i'd also be happy if it never did. To me, flying to the US to watch WM is more of a big deal that watching in the o2 in london.

Purely wishful thinking but I'd like to see a new annual international supershow (doesn't have to be SS or WM). Hold it in a different country each year and try and theme the event around the country it's held in. Ideally put some effort in so it's the number 3 show of the year and not just a C-level show. As has been mentioned in here, it's very unlikely that we'll see Wrestlemania held in Europe.

On a similar note, I wonder whether they could make Smackdown more of an international brand? Have it taped in a different city outside North America each week - logistically it'd make sense to hold it in a nearby city/country from one week to the next, gradually moving around the world. Hold it in around 50 different cities so they can recycle the circuit each year.

I'm going off on a tangent here but couldn't the Smackdown idea be something TNA could do?

No. It would be stupidly expensive. And mental for WWE. They'd have to be flying all of the talent and ring crew back and forth internationally every few days, or asking them to be on the road for months on end without going home.

TNA can't even afford the handler for Victoria's spider so it's out of the question for them, although they tape many shows in a night so it wouldn't be as ludicrous.