Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Does Abdullah have that kind of money? If not he probably won't get it, not sure how things work in Canada. Suppose if Abby saved his money and invested well (restaurants etc) he could have that much.

Right now on Radio 4 there's a programme about a Welsh wrestler called Gareth. One of the UK Pitbulls was just on I think

Fucking hell. I find stuff like this interesting. I remember being on a site a few years ago where people were posting pictures of their memorabilia of notorious killers. I wouldn't be comfortable having anything like that in my family home, but seeing it in the form of a picture is interesting.

Per Mike Johnson at PWInsider:

WWE's talent relations department issued letters this week to former contracted talents and referees offering them financial planning assistance in a number of ways never before offered by the company.

WWE's letter noted that they are now offering, free of charge, financial planning and debt assistance services through a financial firm for anyone who was ever under contract. The assistance would include help with financial management and for talents who are in debt, help with debt consolidation.

WWE is also offering a $5,000 per semester scholarship to any former talents who wish to further their college education. The letter noted that those interested need to enroll by 8/1 in order to be eligible for the Fall 2014 semester's scholarship and also provide proof of enrollment to WWE.

The letters were sent out earlier this week and former talents are just starting to receive them. Obviously, this is a huge positive for anyone who chooses to take WWE up on the offers.

Pretty sound of WWE to offer this,another good PR weapon for them when another former talent croaks too I suppose.

• Paid Members
WWE's letter noted that they are now offering, free of charge, financial planning and debt assistance services through a financial firm for anyone who was ever under contract. The assistance would include help with financial management and for talents who are in debt, help with debt consolidation.

Ric Flair and Mike Tyson like this.

• Paid Members

Zeb Colter has just changed the law! ... but not for illegal immigrants.

WBIR) On Thursday, the Tennessee House of Representatives overwhelming approved a bill that calls for stricter rules for repeat drug and alcohol offenders.

House Bill 1759, also known as "Amelia's Law," would allow judges to order offenders and parolees to wear a "transdermal monitoring device," if alcohol or drugs were contributing factors in their crime. It's basically a device that can track alcohol or drug levels through a person's skin.

The legislation is named after Amelia Keown, who died in a head-on collision, while on her way home to pick up pom poms for after school dance practice. She was 16 years old.

Records show the man who crashed into her, John C. Perkins, was out on parole and had a criminal record dating back to at least 1998. His sheet included misdemeanor speeding charges, but also charges for aggravated robbery, drugs, and fleeing and evading police. He also died in the crash.

The House unanimously passed the proposal, 92-0.

Uncle Zeb was her grandfather.

(apologies for the redneckistani advert.)

Doesn't this weaken the argument that the wrestlers were contractors rather than employees?

Possibly, but this is a tremendous gesture from WWE. Like the Rehab scheme they have going on its something they don't have to do for people but do anyway. Yes its a publicity winner but lets not sour kind deeds when they do genuinely help people.