Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Yeah. I'm a little surprised to read that Taker was penciled in to win, not that I'm saying that Smackdown didn't matter * (or indeed doesn't matter to this day **) but given what had happened at No Mercy, I recall every bugger on whichever forum I frequented at the time (original TWCF if it was still going, here if it wasn't) staunchly predicted a Triple H win. That pop was amazing, the whole moment was amazing. The fact Cena didn't take the title at 'Mania meant fuck all in the big scheme and didn't "cheapen" winning the Rumble as some plebs either mentioned at the time or in the interim, although I do think it was bizarre that they brought that one on one match forward to No Way Out. Given the injury to Cena and the drama of his comeback, Orton v Cena one on one at Mania 24 would have been huge, and Cena taking the title back would have been classic wrestling storytelling. Trips should have found something else to do.

* although it didn't

** although it doesn't

• Paid Members

That was it. If push came to shove, they could have always put Batista in with them if they wanted another body in their to freshen up the Orton and Triple H series. A three way between those three would have been pretty good at the time. Strange to think it wouldn't have been much trouble if Cena wasn't able to make Mania. It would have done some damage at the merch table, but it wouldnt have been the end of the world. The roster at the time was stacked. Batista had to make do with a nothing match with Umaga. Jeff Hardy wasn't even on the show and he was a big deal at the time. Mr Kennedy wasn't on it either was he? I can't even remember if Kennedy was actually worth missing at the time. I'd imagine he was still well liked.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
That was it. If push came to shove, they could have always put Batista in with them if they wanted another body in their to freshen up the Orton and Triple H series. A three way between those three would have been pretty good at the time. Strange to think it wouldn't have been much trouble if Cena wasn't able to make Mania. It would have done some damage at the merch table, but it wouldnt have been the end of the world. The roster at the time was stacked. Batista had to make do with a nothing match with Umaga. Jeff Hardy wasn't even on the show and he was a big deal at the time. Mr Kennedy wasn't on it either was he? I can't even remember if Kennedy was actually worth missing at the time. I'd imagine he was still well liked.

Kennedy was in MITB, I think Jeff missed it because he failed wellness.

Paul Heyman, who is gaining more creative influence within WWE, recently proposed a faction consisting of WWE Champion CM Punk, Brock Lesnar and Antonio Cesaro.

Well Cesaro came from ROH which is the ECW of this generation, so he fits the Heyman mold.

This could be OK I guess.

Edited by pol_pot_rick

• Paid Members
Did WWE fuck up with Kennedy? Not saying he's been brilliant in TNA, but he's been uninjured and worked some decent main events.

Even if he'd stayed fit, he wouldn't have amounted to much on account of being a complete bellend and finding a way of fucking it up himself. Yes, it was planned for him to relieve Undertaker when Taker got injured, but due to the aforementioned bellendery it would have been the apex for him and his run would have looked back in similar terms to the way Swaggers is now.

• Paid Members
Paul Heyman, who is gaining more creative influence within WWE, recently proposed a faction consisting of WWE Champion CM Punk, Brock Lesnar and Antonio Cesaro.

Well Cesaro came from ROH which is the ECW of this generation, so he fits the Heyman mold.

Source?

• Paid Members

I've never seen any of Antonio until he came to WWE but that guy is a star isn't he? He's got the look, he's doing well with a gimmick not many people would, his entrance music is class, and he's not put on a bad match I've seen yet. His uppercut and neutralizer are fantastic too.

Source?

SuperLuchas.net... Seriously.

• Paid Members
Was it all over the news sites?

No. PunkStep has either confused the Cena return with the Edge one (which WAS heavily speculated and surprised nobody) or he's lying.

I definitely didn't know about Edge, but I was hardly watching wrestling back then so never checked news sites. I must've made a long-shot guess at Cena then, because he was ruled out of Mania wasn't he?

News we've all been waiting for...

According to The Wrestling Observer, Mark Henry is expected to be returning to WWE TV very soon, and has been cleared to do so for quite sometime now.

Henry has reportedly dropped a significant amount of weight since he last appeared on WWE TV.