Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Incorporates the red white and blue and a lone star, great work all round

Also incorporates the Cowboy theme. I like it. A lot.

Actually don't mind this year's logo. I suppose in years to come seeing the play button will remind us all that it was the first Mania on the network.

The Mountain Goats announce Beat the Champ, a new album inspired by pro-wrestling
ON JANUARY 21, 2015, 3:49PM

screen-shot-2015-01-21-at-9-38-36-am.png

In 2014, John Darnielle published his first novel, Wolf in White Van. A story involving time travel, a post-apocalyptic America, and text-based RPG games, the book opened to critical and commercial acclaim, earning a spot on the New York Times Bestsellers list and a nomination for the National Book Award. His next project is equally ambitious: a new Mountain Goats concept album about pro wrestling. Entitled Beat the Champ, the follow-up to 2012’s Transcendental Youth will be released by Merge Records on April 7th.

As Darnielle explains, professional wrestling “was an avenue of escape for me when I was a kid. Wrestling was low-budget working class entertainment back then, strictly UHF material. It was cheap theater. You had to bring your imagination to the proceedings and you got paid back double. I wrote these songs to re-immerse myself in the blood and fire of the visions that spoke to me as a child, and to see what more there might be in them now that I’m grown.”

In a subsequent posting on his website, Darnielle adds that not every song is specifically about wrestling, but rather it’s a template for themes of “death and difficult-to-navigate interior spaces.”

• Awards Moderator

I'm not sure how much bullshit is being spun here but interesting nonetheless: Bleacher Report article covering Daniel Bryan's storyline from SummerSlam to WrestleMania XXX.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2283701-inside-wwe-an-exclusive-look-at-how-a-pro-wrestling-story-comes-to-life

Lots of interesting stuff here, but I know recently someone was discussing Cena's creative control:

""We're tweaking that thing until it's out the door," Triple H said. "It's not done until it's live. And even then, it's living and changing. [John] Cena can go out for segment one, come back and say, 'I'm not feeling this for later.' And he's right."

Edited by Onyx2

"The hardcore fans cringe when we say this. But the reality of it is, the story is the magic...and the truth is, though all of our storylines have to end up back in the ring and the wrestling part has to deliver to the point fans say, 'That was awesome, what a payoff,' we're not boxing. ... It's about characters and their relationship. That's a storyline. We are more like the Rocky movie than we are like a sport. The storylines are what's important."

This is pretty much the same thing Vince said on the Austin podcast, but the TV product on the whole doesn't reflect it at all.

• Paid Members

Watching a repeat of Cleverdicks on Challenge. 

The question was "the following are all professionals in which sport?", she got as far as "Actress Stacy Kiebler" before time run out. 

Quite surprised to see Professional Wrestling as an answer on a high brow quiz. I thought they looked down their noses at wrestling fans?