New wrestling figures!

King Pitcos

• Paid Members

I reckon demand for these might force Mattel to consider a full release.

If Walmart have already bought these as an exclusive, Mattel can't sell them to other retailers for the duration of that agreement, unless they agree to terminate it.

We have had about 50% of the Walmart exclusive WWE Mattel figures so far end up being sold in Asda over here.

I was thinking more like, if this Walmart exclusive range sold phenomenally well they might think about expanding the idea to further ranges with wider release.

My mate Daryl's done a podcast about all these things revealed at Comic-Con, but he brought up an interesting point - will these Hasbro-esque figures appeal more to classic collectors who want to relive their childhood, or is the idea that they'll bring that style into a new generation?

Personally, I loved collecting the Rumblers because they were small but recognisable versions of modern day Superstars, so these appeal to me for that reason, even though I never had a single Hasbro figure (they were a bit before my time).

Can't imagine they're releasing these with the kids in mind, although obviously there's a "build it and they will come" effect with fans of all ages.

Can't imagine they're releasing these with the kids in mind, although obviously there's a "build it and they will come" effect with fans of all ages.

I disagree. If this was a one shot for collectors only surely they'd have more than two legends in the line? Mattel release Austin and Rock figures every every chance they get - why not here? Surely the collectors would go mad for Austin and Rock 'Hasbros'? I think we'll see a full blown line, which is bittersweet for me as I've got 95% of the original Hasbros and now I'm clearly going to have to buy all these too!!

Also, how many Mattel Warrior figures do we need? With the exception of OWN Warrior (which I'd actually love), what Warrior variants are there to recreate? He must've signed a cracking Legends deals before he died...

• Paid Members

I disagree. If this was a one shot for collectors only surely they'd have more than two legends in the line? Mattel release Austin and Rock figures every every chance they get - why not here? Surely the collectors would go mad for Austin and Rock 'Hasbros'? I think we'll see a full blown line, which is bittersweet for me as I've got 95% of the original Hasbros and now I'm clearly going to have to buy all these too!!

Yes but you are, presumably, a collector and not a kid- which supports Zebs post. He's saying that they're clearly aiming for the nostalgic older market here, and/or collectors. Kids may look at them and think "The fuck is this shit? Only two of their limbs actually move! Why Does Neville's neck stick out like a boner?".

Yes but you are, presumably, a collector and not a kid- which supports Zebs post. He's saying that they're clearly aiming for the nostalgic older market here, and/or collectors. Kids may look at them and think "The fuck is this shit? Only two of their limbs actually move! Why Does Neville's neck stick out like a boner?".

Haha I think it's a bit of both, so they might just be testing the market. I supposed the price point will tell.

Plus I never said anything about it being a one-shot deal. If these sell then there's no reason more Attitude Era stars won't be in the next wave. But if you're a nostalgic older fan who still watches, then there's novelty value in a John Cena 'Hasbro' as well.

• Paid Members

It has to be a case of them realising that there is a secondary market in a toy line that they aren't making money from.

The Hasbro eBay market has been massive for ages. They did a similar LJN style relaunch during the jakks years too.

Some kids collect the typical 6" line, some buy the rumblers and cheaper toy lines. These will appeal to older Hasbro fans, and they will probably be cheaper than the typical lines so will be perfect for auntie Anne to buy for little Karl. They also look more suitable for 5 year olds compared to elites etc.

They are on to a winner with these. I'm biased of course.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Most of the stuff Mattel has tried outside the main basic and elite figure line has died a death so far. The kids-only lines like Flexforce and Rumblers have lasted a couple of years and failed, and it's much the same story for the niche collectors lines. This is their chance to combine those two markets.

• 2 months later...