GTAV

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
I don't mean to freak out those of us who played San Andreas, but here's a couple of words from GTA 5 to put the shits right up you.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

FLIGHT SCHOOL

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I thought for one horrible moment you were going to say:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Follow the train

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Vipes

• Paid Members

Speaking of which, I was looking at the map and thinking "Yeah, they've reshaped it a bit, but there's a lot of places and neighbourhoods carried over from San Andreas, like Grove Street is still a few blocks from the docks and...

...OH JESUS NO, I JUST REMEMBERED THE FORK LIFT TRUCK MISSION."

• Paid Members

The missions in this are such an improvement over GTA4 it's ridiculous. I can barely remember more than a few of GTA4's missions but in this one each mission is unique and memorable. I'm loving the shit out of this. Great setting. Great gameplay. Great characters.

• Moderators
The missions in this are such an improvement over GTA4 it's ridiculous. I can barely remember more than a few of GTA4's missions but in this one each mission is unique and memorable. I'm loving the shit out of this. Great setting. Great gameplay. Great characters.

Absolutely. The writing on this is just on another level. Every fool know I love the GTA games, but I've always treated the cut-scenes like the bits you have to sit through to get to the missions. I never really got into them, or cared too much about the story or characters, because it was usually one long stream of "main character has quick, wacky chat with crime boss about crime they want him to do." Here though, I don't know if it's the breathing space you get with the triple protagonists, or just that it's all so much better -- I suspect both -- but I'm not zoning out during the cut-scenes, I'm actually really enjoying them, and consequently, connecting with the characters. The way it's all seemlessly blending, from free-roam bleeding straight in and out of missions, to protagonists' stories intercrossing as they meet, feels like the hugest leap in videogame storytelling ever.

One review made the point that, rather than feel like a movie, GTA 5 feels like episodic television, and they're exactly right. Another favourite new thing that adds so much is the dynamic score. When this kicks in as you're going on a free-roam massacre, hoo baby, so good.

Woy, do you actually notice the score? Until you mentioned it, I'd not even really noticed there WAS a score. It feel like a kind of old-fashioned concept in a game this advanced and complicated.

• Moderators
Woy, do you actually notice the score? Until you mentioned it, I'd not even really noticed there WAS a score. It feel like a kind of old-fashioned concept in a game this advanced and complicated.

I definitely notice it. Maybe it's because I've spent so many hours rampaging or multiplayering on GTA, so it instantly stands out as something that wasn't there before; no car radio, no music, that's what I'm used to. But it's so atmospheric, and I agree, an old concept, but it works beautifully in missions, heists, or just when you're standing on a crane at the docks, sniping down police helicopters and the music says "Shit's going down, yo."