Anti climatic celebrity encounters

John Matrix

Arent you a promoter or involved in a promotion? You are pretty much scum to people like Bret Hart. You give up your marking privileges at the door when you get into bed with the inner workings of setting rings up.

I've edited to avoid an argument or offending anyone :)I met him years before I got involved (not as a promoter, merry helper :)) but even being involved doesn't change the day. It was an odd contrast as the first former WWE wrestler I met (Tatanka) was overly friendly, not in a bad way, just really eager to talk, chat and much like your experience with Bret Hart, didn't follow his time limits.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so much anti-climactic but Stuart from Mogwai is a difficult enough interview. Perfectly nice guy and doesn't do it to be a prick, but he takes forever to answer a question, usually takes a big long pause before going "I dunno really", and he looks demented. But he's fucking awesome so it's ok.

• Paid Members

No personal experiences of my own but I have yet to hear a good thing about the lead singer of Lost Prophets.

I heard positive stuff about him. That being he was a positive cunt and my random and in some way unfair hatred of him was totally justifiable

No personal experiences of my own but I have yet to hear a good thing about the lead singer of Lost Prophets.

I've met him twice, the first time was in the middle of Queen's Arcade and he was perfectly fine. The second time wasn't the best because it was in the middle of a gig in Blackwood (can't remember the band for the life of me). I dunno, maybe he was sick of people talking to him, but he just seemed a bit of a knob.

More a non-encounter really, but I used to work with the wife of one of Russell Brand's PAs while he was on tour. As a result we got free tickets for one of his gigs a few years back, including entry to the VIP bar and backstage passes.After the show, the three of us headed back to Brand's dressing room, while the hairy cornflake momentarily headed out to the theatre bar for his customary 'auditioning' of girls from the audience to wine & dine/hump in the toilets. Although I am at best ambivalent to Brand as a person, I was more than willing to become his best mate for the night in the hope of hoovering up one of his cast-offs. Alas, after about twenty minutes, the PA received a phonecall informing him that the Dickensian scarecrow wouldn't be gracing us with his presence that night, as he was at that moment on some sort of wild goose chase tearing round the city centre in a taxi looking for a Polish chambermaid from his hotel that he'd taken a fancy to. I avenged the slight by drinking the warm bottles of Stella that had been left in the dressing room for him. Shortly afterwards, I discovered that the scruffy retro-goth was actually teetotal, which robbed me of even that tiny victory.

Re Bret hart. I hung around Oustide of an arena after one of those WWA shows years ago to get to chat to him. Everyone was asking him the standard questions so myself & my mate,both avid fans of wrestle mania the album decide to rendition him with his track "never been a right time to say goodbye" - he laughed along chatted for a few mins. We went to leave and he called us back over to discuss the song ask our names and general chit chat for a few mins. Class act.

Off on a tangent, I just found out that a girl that drinks in my local is the daughter of one of Echo and the Bunnymen. Probably won't ever meet him, but would be interesting to see how he'd react to me telling him that they're one of the dullest bands I can think of. If it happens I'll let you all know how it goes.

I know footballers shouldn't really classify as 'celebs' because you meet them a lot more often than you do seem to genuine celebrity folk, but I got completley had off by Andy Carroll.After a Sunday on the piss after beating United 3-1 which was the day Carroll made his debut, my mate spotted him in the passenger seat of a car outside some stingy takeaway place at 2am.I ran over, pretty smashed hoping to give the big fella a handshake.Cue the most expensive English signing of all time to nonchalantly roll his window up as I get near.Still love the big guy though!

• Paid Members

I met Nicholas Parsons, or rather, he met me - I was standing in a queue at the Edinburgh Fringe, chatting with my friend about something we'd seen and he butted in to our conversation (he was standing nearby, presumably after or before his own show) telling us the show in question (Showstopper the improvised musical) was fantastic. He was really, really nice. He was also wearing heavy make up (for his show I assume), which was a bit strange to see.The only negative experience I know of was from my (much) younger brother. He met Richard Hammond a few years ago - my brother was around ten at the time - and whatever happened my brother was so upset he didn't want to talk about it. I think he refused an autograph in a rude way or something, but I'm not completely sure. I've since heard Hammond doesn't have the best of reputations when it comes to the public.

I'd love to meet Nicholas Parsons, and also Paul Merton for that matter. More so Merton because I've been a fan of him for longer but Parsons always seems like a wonderful chap on the radio. I remember one night when Jamie Oliver got in my way at a bar, I didn't bother sayign hi to him I just wanted a drink. Wasn'st so fond of that. Later in the night when I went for a psis I had Noel Gallagher open the door for me and politely thanked him which seemed to confuse him. I think he was expecting a little more love. Then I found out I was pissing next to Stevie Gerrard. That's was kind of anti-climatic in the sense that a few years ago, when I was actually a big football fan that would have made my year but I'm not into it at all now so it just didn't seem like that big a deal.

I attended a book signing by Mick Foley in 2003, the line was massive but he signed for everyone, posed for pictures and someone brought their mobile phone up asking if Mick would have a quick word with their friend which he did. Mick Foley was really nice to me and it was great to meet one of my favourite wrestlers.I've met Stuart McCall (former Bradford City and Rangers player) two times, the second time I spent an hour with him as he visited my school. A class act.Lucikly both weren't anti climatic as the thread title asks.

Archived