Anti climatic celebrity encounters

John Matrix

• Paid Members
Had Vic Reeves in all the time as he lives round here. Miserable bastard. His wife's nice as anything though, really friendly.

Which you would think would be the other way around, wouldnt you? I've heard Vic's a big twat as well. Which is a shame. Ade Edmonsons supposedly a bit of a stuck up prick, which breaks my heart. Heard nothing but good things of Rik Mayall though. Heard he's actually to nice to his faces. Reports of his big sweaty frame hugging all over his supporters after his shows. You wouldnt mind with Rik though. He's such a hyperactive personality, its hard to believe its an act.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've met Jimmy Carr - top bloke, was very thankful for me asking for an autograph.

I've also seen a couple of darts players about in my time. Dennis Smith and Ronnie Baxter, ok granted they're no Phil Taylor, but were both a good laugh when I chatted to them.

I met Eric Bristow once, top bloke, he offered me some of his chips

Edit: Rik mayall told my brother to fuck off during the premiere of Maybe Baby. To this day my Brother claims its one of the greatest moments of his life

• Paid Members
You don't want to meet Phil Taylor by all accounts, he's apparently a top knob.

Ted "BO Baracus" Hankey fucking hums. That's my main memory of meeting him.

I remember a thread here a while ago where I said Ted Hankey looks like he reeks of a cocktail of shit, piss, vomit and sweat and I was glad you confirmed it with the BO Baracus name. He's a dirty looking bastard.

Is he as much a twat as he seems on TV? For some reason I picture him wearing that fucking vampire get-up all day, even round Asda or whatever.

We had Paul Merson at our Sportsman's Dinner a few years ago. He accused us of ripping him off because we had the nerve to pay his agent in advance instead of giving him the cash on the night. He kept disappearing off and coming back looking a tad happier and rubbing his nose a lot but was generally a miserable, unsociable prick. We had Lee Sharpe the year after and he was an absolute diamond.

I read that as Paul Merton at first. Made a lot more sense after a second read.

I've met Frank Skinner, he was a top bloke, although I had a shaved head at the time and he repeated his old 'is that fashion...or leukemia' joke I'd heard before. Could have came up with some new material.

• Paid Members
Ted "BO Baracus" Hankey fucking hums. That's my main memory of meeting him.

Butch, you're never better than when discussing celebrities who absolutely honk :thumbsup:

"Open the windows, it's Paul Heyman!"

• Awards Moderator
When i met David Prowse (Darth Vader) at some sci-fi convention, he was a right miserable git. Made it clear that he generally hated people and was just there to make some easy money lol

I've met Prowse before and had the polar opposite experience, he was absolutely great to me and my mate. Chatted to him for a good while. He was polite and friendly throughout, and told some cracking stories too. Didn't get the impression he hated people at all, again the total opposite. Mind, I had read up on him beforehand and knew what not to mention (James Earl Jones, Episode III).

I somehow managed to blag an impromptu interview for the student paper afterwards, which I then had to cut down from 15 minutes to less than 300 words because the editor the Film section had at the time said Star Wars had "too much of a niche audience". I'm still fucking fuming about that. Twat.

I've met Jimmy Carr - top bloke, was very thankful for me asking for an autograph.

I've also seen a couple of darts players about in my time. Dennis Smith and Ronnie Baxter, ok granted they're no Phil Taylor, but were both a good laugh when I chatted to them.

I met Eric Bristow once, top bloke, he offered me some of his chips

Played darts with Bristow then had a night on the drink with him. He beat me at darts pretty soundly then drank me under the table to boot. Came across as a nice bloke though.

I met Ade Edmondson after a Bad Shepherds gig, and he was really nice. Had all the time in the world and thanked everyone for coming. So I wouldn't say he's a stand up prick at all.

The oddest thing was going for a drink in the pub by the Old Vic and Kevin Spacey came in. He was very nice, some people immediately got there camera phones out and he very politely just said, 'oh do you mind not? Thank you'. The oddest thing was my dad drinks there regularly so they exchanged pleasantries, Spacey is very camp. He does hand gestures while talking and just seems quite camp, in a nice way.

Met Lee Evans after a gig at the Royal & Derngate Theatre in Northampton. Fortunately he was a lot more fan friendly than Steven Segal. Chatted to him for about 5 minutes, he signed my programme and that was it.

Also met Richard Dreyfus in a bar in New York. Really nice bloke and had a drink with him and his mates for the rest of the evening. He bought all my drinks too. Top bloke.

Met Gail Porter when she was doing The Big Breakfast. Was on TV briefly, then I got a kiss on the cheek when I left.

Not one bad experience there.

Also, as there's a lot of Stewart Lee fans here, I can say that he is one of the friendliest and most approachable chaps I've had the pleasure to meet. More than happy to stop and chat with people, even ran after a mate of mine to let him know of some upcoming dates before they'd properly been announced.

Met Lee Evans after a gig at the Royal & Derngate Theatre in Northampton. Fortunately he was a lot more fan friendly than Steven Segal. Chatted to him for about 5 minutes, he signed my programme and that was it.

Also met Richard Dreyfus in a bar in New York. Really nice bloke and had a drink with him and his mates for the rest of the evening. He bought all my drinks too. Top bloke.

Met Gail Porter when she was doing The Big Breakfast. Was on TV briefly, then I got a kiss on the cheek when I left.

Not one bad experience there.

So why are they in a thread about anti-climatic encounters?

Had Vic Reeves in all the time as he lives round here. Miserable bastard. His wife's nice as anything though, really friendly.

Which you would think would be the other way around, wouldnt you? I've heard Vic's a big twat as well. Which is a shame. Ade Edmonsons supposedly a bit of a stuck up prick, which breaks my heart. Heard nothing but good things of Rik Mayall though. Heard he's actually to nice to his faces. Reports of his big sweaty frame hugging all over his supporters after his shows. You wouldnt mind with Rik though. He's such a hyperactive personality, its hard to believe its an act.

Rik Mayall starred in the New Statesman here in Hull several years ago and a lass at work got her boobs signed by him after the show. She said he, at her request, grabbed them and went 'Phwoarr, jugs!' in full on Richie mode.

Apparently he was a quality bloke, really took time to chat and interact with people.

• Paid Members
I met Ade Edmondson after a Bad Shepherds gig, and he was really nice. Had all the time in the world and thanked everyone for coming. So I wouldn't say he's a stand up prick at all.

I'm seeing them tomorrow at a beer festival and race day. Are they any good?

Archived