Anti climatic celebrity encounters

John Matrix

I've met Jimmy Carr - top bloke, was very thankful for me asking for an autograph.

I've also seen a couple of darts players about in my time. Dennis Smith and Ronnie Baxter, ok granted they're no Phil Taylor, but were both a good laugh when I chatted to them.

My "Family Uncle".

Y'know, the Uncle that's really just your Dad's mate.

Ah, Blackburn...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I met Ade Edmondson after a Bad Shepherds gig, and he was really nice. Had all the time in the world and thanked everyone for coming. So I wouldn't say he's a stand up prick at all.

I'm seeing them tomorrow at a beer festival and race day. Are they any good?

Got there two albums, I really enjoy them. It depends what you like, 70s punk songs set to thrash mandolin is right up my street. Even if you don't like Ade Edmondson vocals the rest of the group are impressive musicians with different instruments.

• Paid Members
I met Ade Edmondson after a Bad Shepherds gig, and he was really nice. Had all the time in the world and thanked everyone for coming. So I wouldn't say he's a stand up prick at all.

I'm seeing them tomorrow at a beer festival and race day. Are they any good?

Got there two albums, I really enjoy them. It depends what you like, 70s punk songs set to thrash mandolin is right up my street. Even if you don't like Ade Edmondson vocals the rest of the group are impressive musicians with different instruments.

Sounds interesting, not what I would have expected but interesting. If I can enjoy the ping pong bitches I can enjoy anything I say.

I'll probably have had a few by then any way, everything sounds better half cut.

Just because I'm a nob end I'll give my thoughts over the weekend If I remember.

Had a few run in's that have ended in me feeling a tad subdued by my supposed heroes! Back when I was at school we went on a night out to a big venue near Liverpool called Pleasure Island that had roller disco, massive indoor adventure play ground thing complete with huge slides, cargo nets etc and bowling. I was bowling with my group when somebody caught my attention in the shop. They were shouting over to a couple of blokes who were playing air hockey, one of whom was a massive fucker. It didn't take me long to twig that it was Neil Ruddock. The guy he was playing with was Don Hutchinson and the guy who was waving a Strawberry Mivi from the shop area was a bob haircutted Jamie Redknapp. Being a masisve LFC fan I shot over as did a few other kids and I pulled out my timetable (the only think I had in my pocket that could be signed) and asked Hutchinson if he'd sign it. "Fuck off!" Nice guy! That was his response. Ok, I admit they were chilling and he probably didn;t appreciate my eager fapper shit but I was an impressionable 14 year old who had just seen 3 gods amongst men in my opinion! Ruddock then took over and said " Come on mate, don't be a dick" or something of that ilk and he squiggled on the back of my timetable. Redknapp who had come back from the shop duly followed and shook me hand. The same hand that would go on to frig off Louise! (his not mine, obviously!) and Hutchinson also signed. Looking back part of me wished I told him to fuck off after the other two had signed but I didn't.

The second instance was at a Mick Foley signing at Waterstones in the Trafford Centre. Granted, he had to plough through a few hundred people who wanted his latest book signed but he made no attempt to engage in conversation and even when a pic was taken he looked less than fucked to be there! I was more than a tad underwhelmed!

On a plus side, I went to Thorpe Park early this year and whilst queueing up for a ride I clocked Matt Le Tissier stood with a pram. I tried to take an inconspicuous pic that was so blatant it was a joke! After the ride he was still there so I popped over and shook his hand. He was apparently very happy to be recognised and turned the handshake into a manhug! It was me who awkwardley pulled away surely leaving Le Tiss feeling as if our meeting was a tad anti-climactic !

Mick Foley was a cunt at a TNA signing I went to as well. I was pleased though because I can't fucking stand the fat smelly shit these days. Him being lovely would have fucked that.

When I was a kid, we played Arsenal in the Cup at Roker Park on a weekday evening - some may remember Bergkamp's gorgeous goal in the Fulwell end. Well I was at the front of the Roker End, so for 45 minutes I got to watch David Seaman (still an absolute hero to me for his Euro 96 heroics) piss about pulling funny faces and whatnot to entertain me and the other youngun's in the crowd. At the end of the match, we stood outside the front entrance/exit (the only way out for the players), and he had to stop for ages signing things and taking pictures. Probably good 20 minutes, and it's gotten pretty late by now. Nigel Winterburn angrily popped his head out of the bus and yelled "Fuckin' hell mate, come on."

Parents certainly had a mixed night as far as role model footballers went.

• Paid Members
Batista's a notoriously miserable cunt who made no effort to talk to anyone and didn't even look up when he was signing stuff for people. But i can fogive him for that because he's Batista.

I read a brilliant anecdote years ago showing Batista capable of being a class act. A serviceman was dining (in uniform) with his partner in a restaurant. A big bottle of champagne was delivered to his table "compliments of the gentleman at the bar". The chap looked up to see a suited Batista, who nodded at him. He didn't have a clue who he was so headed over to him to query the situation/thank him. Batista introduced himself and said "Thank you for all you do for our country", then paid his bill.

Nigel Winterburn angrily popped his head out of the bus and yelled "Fuckin' hell mate, come on."

Ah, he's a bit of a nob, yep. I suppose he's the Gavrilo Princip of the Premier League (the man who shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand and set off a chain of events that led to WWI). Brian McClair missed a penalty against Arsenal once in a cup match and Winterburn had a word in his ear about it straight after. McClair got him back in a later match, giving the downed Winterburn a kick after he had fouled Dennis Irwin, sparking a mass brawl which saw both clubs fined and deducted points. Thus were sown the seeds for the rivalry which would emanate with the Battles of Old Trafford in 2003 and 2004. All because of Nigel Winterburn being an unsporting twat.

I think that I've only ever met one celebrity, but it was a good one, so not particularly relevant to this thread; I had a beer with the Iron Sheik. It was really easy too; people were queuing for an autograph, so I just sauntered to the front from the other side and asked him "Cup o' cold beer, bubba?" Easy as that. After the signing was done, he sat down with me and we had a couple of drinks. I'm something of an aficianado of YouTube-era Sheik, so we sat down for ages going over stories. He didn't bother trying to play his character, so it was really good, interspersing talk about Eric Simms and Rob Feinstein (Sheik had heard stories but didn't understand them) with anecdotes about his grandchildren. ("Dey call me 'Papi Sheik'.") Nice man.

• Paid Members
Ah, he's a bit of a nob, yep. I suppose he's the Gavrilo Princip of the Premier League (the man who shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand and set off a chain of events that led to WWI). Brian McClair missed a penalty against Arsenal once in a cup match and Winterburn had a word in his ear about it straight after. McClair got him back in a later match, giving the downed Winterburn a kick after he had fouled Dennis Irwin, sparking a mass brawl which saw both clubs fined and deducted points. Thus were sown the seeds for the rivalry which would emanate with the Battles of Old Trafford in 2003 and 2004. All because of Nigel Winterburn being an unsporting twat.

I was at that match, stood in the Stretford End. It was a terrible match, actually, and it really livened it up. Winterburn was largely a cowardly cunt, as was proved when Choccy was stood towering over him and as was proved a few years later when Di Canio threatened to deck him after the referee push.

• Paid Members
When I was a kid, we played Arsenal in the Cup at Roker Park on a weekday evening - some may remember Bergkamp's gorgeous goal in the Fulwell end. Well I was at the front of the Roker End, so for 45 minutes I got to watch David Seaman (still an absolute hero to me for his Euro 96 heroics) piss about pulling funny faces and whatnot to entertain me and the other youngun's in the crowd. At the end of the match, we stood outside the front entrance/exit (the only way out for the players), and he had to stop for ages signing things and taking pictures. Probably good 20 minutes, and it's gotten pretty late by now. Nigel Winterburn angrily popped his head out of the bus and yelled "Fuckin' hell mate, come on."

Even though he's England/Arsenal scum, you get the feeling Seaman is probably the nicest bloke in the world. I've heard a couple of stories about him being a proper gent with fans.

Speaking of classy footballers, a mate once went to visit family in Turin a few years back. He went for something to eat one day with his nephew and he spots the mighty Del Piero with a few mates having some lunch and a blether. My mate and his nephew then go over to Ale for an autograph. ADP gets chatting away with them and asks them if they'd like to join him, Del Piero then spent the rest of their meal talking to my mate and his nephew. He payed for their bill too. I was well fuming when he told me, as he's been my favourite footballer for ages.

My celebrity encounters are weak. I met John Collins when I was a child, he was a bit of a knob. I saw Robin Ince walking while talking on his phone down my local high street, I didn't really care. I saw Alex Sammond outside a pub in Edinburgh, again wasn't too arsed to go up and say anything.

Looking back, I think Bret Hart was the only downside. For obvious reasons.

Thankfully I've had mostly pleasant encounters with Simon Callow being one of my personal favourites for how laid back and nice he was to talk to, and Aaron Douglas from Battlestar Galactica; it wasn't a direct encounter, but he was kind (and drunk) enough to leave Mrs SourceWrestling (not her real name ;)) a voicemail (here it is) demanding she come to DragonCon as she was gutted we missed out.

Why? When I met him he was great.
Yeah me too. Met him at two of his book signings the other year, and he couldn't have been more pleasant and appreciative. One of my favourite experiences ever, meeting the Hitman.

• Paid Members

Bret Hart was nice if a bit quiet.Rik Mayall is by far one of the most hyperactive people I've ever met, he must be 'on' most of the day.My worst celeb encounter wasn't the celeb but more MY treatment of them. I saw Gareth Barry in a club in Manchester, we were at the urinals and a pissed up Chilli_Dog bellowed "Hey Gaz lad, why can't you kick the ball forward ya shit cunt"... I'm still unsure where the insult 'shit cunt' comes from, Barry responded brilliantly "Well I go to the sides and do a great passback and they seem to pay me alright for that" leading me to give him a "touche" and an apology for being such a shit cunt.

Why? When I met him he was great.

Yeah me too. Met him at two of his book signings the other year, and he couldn't have been more pleasant and appreciative. One of my favourite experiences ever, meeting the Hitman.

Bret Hart was nice if a bit quiet.

Really? Thats surprising. Almost everyone I know (offline, anyway) seemed to have caught him on a bad day.That said - I've been told the same about some celebrities that have been nothing but cheery (as well as overly inviting at times)

• Paid Members

When I met him he was in a foul mood and downright rude to people around him.

Arent you a promoter or involved in a promotion? You are pretty much scum to people like Bret Hart. You give up your marking privileges at the door when you get into bed with the inner workings of setting rings up.My meeting with him was class I thought. He was supposed to leave at 1.30, and we got told he could only see the first 200. We met him at 2.30. He was great. Signed DVDs, t-shirts and all kinds of shite they were told you couldnt bring. Yes, he was quiet, but thats him. I wasn't expecting party hats and Diana Hart with her mot out.

Archived