REM split up

EdgarTheSlouch

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I admit that I have not heard a majority of the records, as I am not into gay music, but the ones I have been unfortunate enough to have experienced are very samey indeed.

can you name me another band whose best known song is written in 3/4 time? There are lots of arguments that can be made against R.E.M. but samey is certainly not one of them. In actual fact they pull in so many directions is probably a weakness at some points in their career.

can you name me another band whose best known song is written in 3/4 time? There are lots of arguments that can be made against R.E.M. but samey is certainly not one of them. In actual fact they pull in so many directions is probably a weakness at some points in their career.

Purely because I know the answer....Iris by Goo Goo Dolls is in 3/4, and 4/4, and 12/8...

OT, I can understand why they would choose now to finish. They've been around a long time (in the music world), have a back catalogue which will continue to inspire, and I guess, they have realised it's better to go now, then to pump out another 4 or 5 albums which diminish what they have achieved.

• Paid Members
I admit that I have not heard a majority of the records, as I am not into gay music,

I know where you're coming from mate, I myself can only listen to bisexual music.

That's just greedy.

• Paid Members

I didn't notice Thunderplex was such a good troll/massive retard. Kinda came out of nowhere, that.

The only REM songs you could really make a case for sounding the same are "It's The End of The World As We Know It" and "Bad Day", but that's because Bad Day was an early sort of prototype for it that got re-recorded and re-released on one of their best of albums.

I had no idea so many people collaberated on the last album "Collapse Into Now". Eddie Vedder and Patti Smith being two of them. "Collapse Into Now" is a fantastic album to finish on though, and is probably up there as one of my favourites after AFTP and Green.

To further disprove the "they sound the same" shit that Thunderplex is chucking about;

REM - The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite

• Paid Members
I didn't notice Thunderplex was such a good troll/massive retard. Kinda came out of nowhere, that.

Not really. He recently described Freebird as '14 minutes of musical bliss'.

The fool. It's actually 9:06 of musical bliss. Unless he's referring to the popular 'Live at Freedom Hall' version. Which is 12:12 of musical bliss.

:sneaky:

Chalk me down as meh. Really liked a couple of tracks such as "Man On The Moon" but even in their heyday I thought they were hugely overrated. A poor man's Crowded House.

• Paid Members

Not really. He recently described Freebird as '14 minutes of musical bliss'.

The fool. It's actually 9:06 of musical bliss. Unless he's referring to the popular 'Live at Freedom Hall' version. Which is 12:12 of musical bliss.

:sneaky:

You're no buddy of mine, then!

I wouldn't chalk myself down as a massive REM fan but I do like a lot of their tracks from many of their albums. They haven't been much cop for a while, though. It will be interesting to see what they separately do next.

Archived