REM split up

EdgarTheSlouch

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I didn't notice Thunderplex was such a good troll/massive retard. Kinda came out of nowhere, that.

Not really. He recently described Freebird as '14 minutes of musical bliss'.

The fool. It's actually 9:06 of musical bliss. Unless he's referring to the popular 'Live at Freedom Hall' version. Which is 12:12 of musical bliss.

:sneaky:

You're no buddy of mine, then!

I wouldn't chalk myself down as a massive REM fan but I do like a lot of their tracks from many of their albums. They haven't been much cop for a while, though. It will be interesting to see what they separately do next.

I think Stipe will work doing appearances on other peoples records for a bit. Anyone else like the track he did with Placebo on their 'Meds' album?

• Paid Members
I didn't notice Thunderplex was such a good troll/massive retard. Kinda came out of nowhere, that.

Not really. He recently described Freebird as '14 minutes of musical bliss'.

The fool. It's actually 9:06 of musical bliss. Unless he's referring to the popular 'Live at Freedom Hall' version. Which is 12:12 of musical bliss.

:sneaky:

They did a version on Whistle test which clocked just over 14 minutes, but thanks for remembering.

Good troll. Didn't realise such a thing existed. Thanks.

I once came across a bootleg live CD of a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert that included a 23 minute version of Free Bird. I'm very annoyed I didn't buy it as I have no way of proving this now, but it does exist.

Chalk me down as meh. Really liked a couple of tracks such as "Man On The Moon" but even in their heyday I thought they were hugely overrated. A poor man's Crowded House.

A poor mans Byrds, surely?

Has anyone heard the REM/Billy Bragg "Bingo Hand Job" stuff? I used to have them on MP3 on my old PC. Now alas not.

sorry thinking of hindu love gods

Hindu Love Gods was R.E.M. without Stipe plus Warren Zevon of Werewolves of London fame. Bingo Hand Job was the fake name they played a secret show under at the Borderline around the time Out of Time came out.

Tired Pony's album is excellent. I'm surpised it didn't get more coverage, seeing as it does sound almost exactly like Snow Patrol.

can you name me another band whose best known song is written in 3/4 time? There are lots of arguments that can be made against R.E.M. but samey is certainly not one of them. In actual fact they pull in so many directions is probably a weakness at some points in their career.

Purely because I know the answer....Iris by Goo Goo Dolls is in 3/4, and 4/4, and 12/8...

Hate to be a pedantic asshole but Everybody Hurts is in 6/8. I'd say that (horrible) Goo Goo Dolls one is in 12/8 apart from the bridge.

I preferred this beauty

I fuckin love that.

• 1 month later...

FYI the REM collection is out on Monday. 40 tracks....

Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982-2011

Disc 1

Gardening At Night

Radio Free Europe

Talk About The Passion

Sitting Still

So. Central Rain

(Don't Go Back To) Rockville

Driver 8

Life And How To Live It

Begin The Begin

Fall On Me

Finest Worksong

It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

The One I Love

Stand

Pop Song 89

Get Up

Orange Crush

Losing My Religion

Country Feedback

Shiny Happy People

Disc 2

The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite

Everybody Hurts

Man On The Moon

Nightswimming

What's The Frequency, Kenneth?

New Test Leper

Electrolite

At My Most Beautiful

The Great Beyond

Imitation Of Life

Bad Day

Leaving New York

Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Supernatural Superserious

I preferred this beauty

I remember that cropping up on the soundtrack to a skateboarding vid my brother had when I was 16 or something and just constantly rewinding it to listen to that song. I've never been an REM fan but that is just really haunting stuff.

*Edit*

I found the link to that old skateboarding vid if anybody wants to see it in that context, I think it's pretty awesome.

Nick Jensen- A Day In The City

Archived