REM split up

EdgarTheSlouch

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm absolutely gutted. I wouldn't be into music if I'd never gotten into R.E.M. The first gig I ever went to was the Milton Keynes Bowl in '95, and I've seen them another 6 times since and they've been perfect every time. If you never saw R.E.M. live you never saw them in all their glory. I went to their home town of Athens, GA for their 30th anniversary last year, and visited the venues they played in their early days, and went to Wuxtry records where Peter Buck met Michael Stipe. I agree that their recent output has not been their strongest, but they've never released anything anywhere near a bad album, and how many bands with a 30 year, 15 album career can say that. Plus Collapse Into Now was their strongest album since New Adventures and it's a right shame they'll never play a lot of those songs live.

Michael Stipe won't do anything musically I'm sure. He'll stick to his photography and film projects. Peter Buck will play guitar until his fingers fall off or the world ends. He's still in Tuatara and the Baseball Project amongst others so that'll keep him busy. Mike Mills, well, he doesn't seem to do much except party and watch baseball, so he might be the suprise that does something else really exciting.

• Paid Members
The IRS years were faultless, was weary when they signed to Warners but they continued to produce brilliant stuff up to and including New Adventures In HiFi. As Seven said, it is time.

Yeah it's amazing how many people are clueless to most of their best work, they just think of their 90s hits. I've converted many a person of how awesome a band they were and how important they were to a generation of bands, by telling them to listen to Murmur and continue from there. People are genuinely shocked how good that stuff is. As I said, to a generation they're 'stadium/dad rock'.

Still the second best live band I've ever seen.

• Paid Members
Nightswimming is a special tune for me. I don't know what hooked me but i was mesmerised by the video back in the day. I used to watch MTV hoping that Nightswimming would come on. Always takes me back...

My favourite of theirs too, along with the criminally overlooked "At My Most Beautiful". For ages the only version of Nightswimming available on YouTube was a live performance on Jools Holland with just two of them, Stipe singing and Mills on piano. Still sounds absolutely amazing.

• Paid Members

That showed him, eh?

If you think, say, At My Most Beautiful sounds 'the bloody same' as It's The End Of The World As We Know It then Blackson is entirely correct in his judgement of you being a knob or Mutt and Jeff.

Archived