SUPER Smackdown 30/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

Match Results

John Cena def. Wade Barrett by pin following the Attitude Adjustment.

Sin Cara def. Daniel Bryan by pin following the Senton & Lionsault.

Divas of Doom (Natalya & Beth Phoenix) def. Kelly Kelly & Alicia Fox by Beth Phoenix pinning Alicia Fox with the Glam Slam.

Sheamus def. The Great Khali by DQ after Jinder Mahal interferes.

World Heavyweight Championship: Steel Cage Match: Randy Orton

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the pointless squashing of Wonderful Wade, that was a cracking show. Seriously, why couldn't they have had Cena squash DiBiase, Ryder or Slater? Winning the match didn't elevate Cena, so why not have him beat someone to whom losses don't matter?

The HHH/Punk segment was fab, thankfully. They were in danger of losing it after the disappointment of their RAW stuff. Nash looked like a beast booting Punk in the noggin and shoving Mr.H down.

Yeah, that was an absolute beast of a segment. Awesome.

Punk was back to being great again, without fauxmiting, and Triple H was at his absolute best. I'm not historically a man of faith, but for the forseeable future I'll be praying that this feud is not being rushed out the backdoor.

A good Smackdown after a crap Raw. Cena was decent and not overly annoying, the squash match kept me entertained and might have done something positive to the ratings. The Punk/HHH signing was good, though the crowd were embarrassingly quiet for Punk which is such a shame. The Cage Match was brilliant, and is hopefully the end to a good feud, Mark Henry looked great at the end as well. I wish Sheamus would take that massive grin off his face though, he's pulling an Ezekiel Jackson it seems.

Didn't like SmackDown, too predictable.

Care to elaborate? What was predictable and why did it make it bad?

I mean... just because something is predictable doesn't mean its bad. After all did you ever watch the Russo era of WCW? THAT was unpredictable and also some of the worst TV of all time!

• Paid Members

It was a pretty good show, mainly because it didn't feel like a proper Smackdown. The crowd were fucking AWFUL, though, they popped for almost nothing. Now I can see why they pipe noise in during the taped versions

The opening segment was pretty crap and Barrett can now look forward to a long stint on Superstars. "He's a cheeky 50s throwback!"

Sin Cara v Daniel Bryan was shite, and considering the matches that Bryan has had recently, you can pretty much put that down to Cara. I don't care if he was Mistico or Hunico - he's shit and I don't care about him and I wish he'd fuck off and I don't care about his lame heel turn.

Sheamus is bloody great and long may it continue, but I hope this isn't the start of a feud with Khali, he deserves better than that.

I didn't see Orton v Christian because I've seen that match 5 times already, but the HHH-Punk segment was fantastic. The reason it worked was because Punk packed in the jokes, went back to being serious, and remembered why his exchanges with Cena were so great - because both sides are totally convinced they are right and both sides actually make very reasonable points. HHH was amazing - whoever said yesterday that he's crap on the mic is a tit. The ending with Nash was cracking, too - this storyline has got loads of twists left in it yet, but now I want Punk to stop talking and start actually trying to hurt people or he just looks a whining bastard.

• Paid Members

That Slam on the steps last week was awesome but wasted when Sheamus is back wrestling Monday and Tuesday. They should have at least kept him off TV until the PPV to sell Henry as being dangerous. IMO, anyway. Little details like that add up.

Sin Cara turning heel? Can't see the point in that unless it's to establish a fake Sin Cara vs. real Sin Cara feud. Even that isn't particularly interesting.

I was disappointed with Raw, even with both rosters merged, it felt lackluster. This doesn't read any better.

Sin Cara v Daniel Bryan was shite, and considering the matches that Bryan has had recently, you can pretty much put that down to Cara. I don't care if he was Mistico or Hunico - he's shit and I don't care about him and I wish he'd fuck off and I don't care about his lame heel turn.

I thought it was a decent enough match. It was certainly miles better than the Daniel Bryan vs. Christian match from last week. I suppose I just enjoyed seeing Daniel Bryan stretch the shit out of Sin Cara for a bit. I did think Sin Cara looked decent as well. I agree about not caring about his heel turn and given the reaction it got, I don't imagine anyone really cared either.

Triple H and CM Punk were brilliant in the contract signings. I'm happy to see contract signings on every show if they continue to be as good as they have been! HHH and Punk seemed to take turns in playing the nice guy while trying to make the other out to be the bad guy. I think HHH probably got the better of that. Kevin Nash is over as hell right now as well. Isn't hard to see why. He's a big nasty looking bastard that has gotten involved in a huge fued, and is established enough. He's added a whole new dimension to this thing and it's great to watch.

I can watch Christian/Orton over and over again. They have brilliant chemistry and their matches click. Unfortunately, they are just too predictable most of the time. I even knew the finish of this match before the thing even started and that isn't a good thing, but the ride to the finish was good enough.

Oh, special mention to John Cena's "if I wanted to beat up a fat ring announcer, I'd beat up Tony Chimel" joke and the following facial expressions from poor Chimel.

• Paid Members

I assume it's leading to a real vs fake Sin Cara. If they're worried about losing his merchandising cash a heel turn would be a tad odd. Sin Cara's pretty much a lost cause for me regardless, if he can't talk there's only so far they can take the character.

Archived