SUPER Smackdown 30/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

• Moderators

From the observer

In the segment-by-segment, Randy Orton vs. Dolph Ziggler lost 276,000 viewers. That continues the steak of people tuning out after the first segment, and missing a great match, but it did much better than last week

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
That's not great reading if you're a Punk fan. Punk is going to get blamed for that 10pm fall.

It was The Miz's promo that killed it, obviously.

It's an odd rating. Apparently Punk's segments are doing fine (according to Meltzers latest show) but this is a disaster. Sad to say it, but people may not be liking Punk at all. In my head I've resolved it as The Miz tanking in the ratings again.

• Paid Members
which is a shame because unlike other ratings killers like Orton and Jericho I felt he had a decent chance.

I know you dislike Orton and everything, but you getting realy blinkered now. Orton isn't a ratings killer. Judging by what Butch posted, Punk is every bit a ratings killer.

Really outisde of Punk and Cena at the merchadise stand, he is the only guy he has a serious effect of ratings and buyrates these days and he is a part timer.

Punk doesn't belong in the same sentence with those two when it comes to merchandise shifting. His latest t-shirt is selling well, but its a drop in the ocean compared to Cena.

WWE top acts like Punk, Cena, HHH and Nash all draw acceptable ratings in their slots

Except Punk doesn't.

Anyway, I agree with all the guys posting in this thread and the Raw one about how awesome Randy Orton is. Orton just gets it. He doesn't pander the the fans, he doesn't have a dozen shirts on sale, he barely speaks, but he just walks out to the ring, nails and RKO and the crowd keep going bat shit mental for him.

I also love how when Punk cuts and awesome promo, its all his work. He is finally being given a free reign on the mic and he is just brilliant. When he does a shit promo, like Monday night, its bad booking and the writers are fucking it up again. I think Punk has been given a certain free reign in terms of what he can say, but I just think that Punk thinks making constant references to Triple H's wife is somehow edgy. Punk isn't THAT over. I mean, he is over, but he aint John Cena, Triple H or even Randy Orton over. And right now, he is coming across as a bit of a prick, which I don't think is the desired reaction. People are starting to want to see Triple H smash his head in, which aint good.

Personally, I hope Triple H squashes him so bad that the Hell in a Cell fight that Punk had with Taker looks competitive in comparison.

• Paid Members
I don't really understand how those segment ratings work. I just find it insane that so many people can watch a TV show and flicker back and forth between channels all the time.

I think that's an effect of having an ad break every 55 seconds.

The only draw in this whole thing is Nash. I know the likes of Butch have been a bit jokey about it, but fucked if it isn't true. Nash has become something that people want to watch when it comes to Punk, and if he ain't there, then who's interested? Well... nobody.

I'd say Punk was the hottest thing in wrestling until two weeks ago. Now I barely care.

• Moderators
And right now, he is coming across as a bit of a prick, which I don't think is the desired reaction.

There was a bit about that on the most recent observer radio. Basically Punk's coming out and saying that WWE sucks and it needs to be better in places like Wichita. The crowds don't like being told what they see is shit. Especially the kids who've got nothing to compare it to. Shit, I don't like being told what I'm watching is crap. They were saying in the Northeast it might get a reaction, but otherwise it's just stupid and a turnoff. I can't get behind him at all at the moment, which I did a few months back. I'm seeing him more now as a total whinging tosser. Say you saw him in a pub whinging about everything and having a go about someone's wife as the husband is acting with total dignity, you'd want to see that person get stepped on. I'm not sure if that's what they are going for or what, but I don't like it. For people saying he's like a new Austin, I don't remember Austin saying his company is the shits, and having digs about people's wives ALL THE TIME. It's really starting to get on my nerves. Which is a shame, because I was on the Punk fun bus a few months back.

I know you dislike Orton and everything, but you getting realy blinkered now. Orton isn't a ratings killer. Judging by what Butch posted, Punk is every bit a ratings killer.

Punk doesn't belong in the same sentence with those two when it comes to merchandise shifting. His latest t-shirt is selling well, but its a drop in the ocean compared to Cena.

Except Punk doesn't.

Anyway, I agree with all the guys posting in this thread and the Raw one about how awesome Randy Orton is. Orton just gets it. He doesn't pander the the fans, he doesn't have a dozen shirts on sale, he barely speaks, but he just walks out to the ring, nails and RKO and the crowd keep going bat shit mental for him.

I also love how when Punk cuts and awesome promo, its all his work. He is finally being given a free reign on the mic and he is just brilliant. When he does a shit promo, like Monday night, its bad booking and the writers are fucking it up again. I think Punk has been given a certain free reign in terms of what he can say, but I just think that Punk thinks making constant references to Triple H's wife is somehow edgy. Punk isn't THAT over. I mean, he is over, but he aint John Cena, Triple H or even Randy Orton over. And right now, he is coming across as a bit of a prick, which I don't think is the desired reaction. People are starting to want to see Triple H smash his head in, which aint good.

Personally, I hope Triple H squashes him so bad that the Hell in a Cell fight that Punk had with Taker looks competitive in comparison.

Well I cant defend the rating Punk pulled this week and the drop of in his segment.

However I should point out that I have read Punk's new T Shirt is the hottest selling in years. I wouldnt go far as to say he is the merchandise machine that Cena is, but right now he is shifting a lot of merchandise.

Punk wasnt over this week to a massive level and I expect that drop off to be a permenent thing, however for a good 2 months or so his name has been chanted very loudly on Raw pretty much every week, more so than anyone else other than maybe Cena.

Orton has had a negative effect on ratings, look when he won the belt last year, i remember the company considered taking it of him straight away because the dip in ratings was that bad. Yes I am not a Orton fan, but I am also a big fan of both Punk and Jericho who both I will conceed are not performers who pull in great ratings and on recent evidence have a negative effect on them.

I dont think Orton is that over to be honest, Christian got cheered against him on most PPV matches I saw them have. He is fine worker most of the time I wont take that away from him, but I just dont find him entertaining as a character as I find him dull and boring, his mic skills are medicore as well.

• Moderators
I dont think Orton is that over to be honest

They went MENTAL for him at raw. I know that Hulk Hogan in 2002 taught us that crowd reactions don't equal PPVs bought and TVs tuned to that channel, but you can't say he's not over. He gets huge reactions when his music hits.

They went MENTAL for him at raw. I know that Hulk Hogan in 2002 taught us that crowd reactions don't equal PPVs bought and TVs tuned to that channel, but you can't say he's not over. He gets huge reactions when his music hits.

I dont watch Smackdown so he may be over on there, but bar that post match reaction at Money In The Bank, I think the rections to him of PPV have been fairly tepid, Capital Punishment and Summerslam spring to mind.

I will take you're word he was over on Raw.

• Paid Members
I dont watch Smackdown so he may be over on there, but bar that post match reaction at Money In The Bank, I think the rections to him of PPV have been fairly tepid, Capital Punishment and Summerslam spring to mind.

I will take you're word he was over on Raw.

Money in the Bank wasn't exactly a great crowd reaction, but he was in front of a load of those mongrel smart fans who feel the need to cheer Christian, or any heel deemed cool enough to meet their approval. Plus, he had them won over by his losing the plot and subsequent Faceache via Bushwhacker via Goldberg face.

Ziggler is somebody who gets a decent reaction for a heel and has his fans, but at Raw, Orton was the clear favourite by a mile, and that crowd went shitballs for him.

• Paid Members

It's no real surprise Orton gets those reactions though. Obviously he has a ton of ability, but WWE treat him like he's the hardest man in the company. That's why the Henry beat down worked for me, you rarely see Orton so defenceless.

Maybe Punk is turning heel again (explains why the dynamic has changed the past couple of weeks) to get him ready for Austin or 'Taker at 'Mania? People may shit on it but Punks momentum has taken a massive hit, now Nash isn't wrestling. Similar to when The Rock became the Corporate Champion at Survivor Series, he just turned babyface and the people loved him, then he joined forces with the McMahons. No doubt people shat on that at the time too.

• Paid Members

Nobody shat on The Rock turning heel. It was amazing television and his heel turn was perfect. He was popular, but he was Austin popular. The Rock's turn made so much sense and it was done in such a brilliant way, its still fondly remember for how good it was. And it was planned the moment he left the Nation and became a face for him to turn heel at the Survivor Series. The CM Punk situation is completely different. If they turn him heel after using so much television time on him as a face the last two months, it'll be a massive faliure both artistically and business wise. If they do turn Punk heel, that might be the kiss of death. Would McMahon want to waste Austin's return match or the Undertaker's 20th win at WrestleMania on someone who drew 20,000 more people than an R-Truth main event PPV against the top star in the promotion after giving him such a monster push and unpresidented freedom on the mic leading into it?

It reminds me more of the Lex Express with better promos, than the Rock turning heel.

• Paid Members
Nobody shat on The Rock turning heel. It was amazing television and his heel turn was perfect. He was popular, but he was Austin popular. The Rock's turn made so much sense and it was done in such a brilliant way, its still fondly remember for how good it was. And it was planned the moment he left the Nation and became a face for him to turn heel at the Survivor Series. The CM Punk situation is completely different. If they turn him heel after using so much television time on him as a face the last two months, it'll be a massive faliure both artistically and business wise. If they do turn Punk heel, that might be the kiss of death. Would McMahon want to waste Austin's return match or the Undertaker's 20th win at WrestleMania on someone who drew 20,000 more people than an R-Truth main event PPV against the top star in the promotion after giving him such a monster push and unpresidented freedom on the mic leading into it?

It reminds me more of the Lex Express with better promos, than the Rock turning heel.

Everybody was more over in 98, as was the product. As Meltzer said, Punk is/was a semi-hot wrestler in a cold/stale product.

Also your using The Rock example to literally. My point was, The Rock turned heel again (which pissed off the fans more) even though he was really hot ("Austin popular") as a babyface. Something like that may work. You can't just say it will kill Punk off, going by reactions of the past couple of weeks fans are starting to turn on him already.

Austin's opponent is Austin's shout.

Archived