"What!?"

Cobra1000

So I was thinking about posting this topic for a while, one of the most infuriating parts of wrestling is when people chant "what". I was reading stuff in the Comments... thread and thought there could be some discussion.

Introduced by Stone Cold Steve Austin, almost about 10 years ago now. It can ruin a good promo, or make a bad promo even worse.

Its become slightly more entertaining recently as R-Truth has decided to interact with it saying "Don't What Me" and "Don't Start The Whats" but usually most heel s just ignore them, thus making it worse.

So thoughts? Do you hate it as much as I do, or do you like the chants even?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I was thinking about posting this topic for a while, one of the most infuriating parts of wrestling is when people chant "what". I was reading stuff in the Comments... thread and thought there could be some discussion.

Introduced by Stonce Cold Steve Austin, almost about 1 years ago now. It can ruin a good promo, or make a bad promo even worse.

Its become slightly more entertaining recently as R-Truth has decided to interact with it saying "Don't What Me" and "Don't Start The Whats" but usually most heel s just ignore them, thus making it worse.

So thoughts? Do you hate it as much as I do, or do you like the chants even?

What?

• Paid Members

"What" is fucking terrible. Just piss off. "Twooooooooo!" annoys me too, but I think there is only a handful of backwards towns that still do that.

The worst chant in wrestling ever however for me was the nauseating "please dont stop" at the wrestlers in the Dragon Gate 6 man at Supercard of Honor.

Roughly translated, "we are all marking out for really fast MOVEZ and don't actually give a shit about who wins. You have failed to make us care about winners or losers, we just want to see a 630 Moonbomb."

OK, OK.... avalanche-style, wristclutch 630 Moonbomb.

'91.

With Nash and Truth Raw right now is simultaneously showing how effective and how skin scrapingly shit the chant can be. The danger with Truth encouraging the chant - entertaining though it is - is that it plants the word firmly on the tongues of a lot of the fans for the rest of the card.

The rebuttal award surely goes to 'Taker for "say what if you sleep with your sister!".

• Paid Members

"What?" can be annoying, but its far from the worst chant ever. Sometimes its a good thing. Remember when Kane was in the impossible position of trying to explain who Katie Vick was? The "What?" chants make uncomfortable television quite amusing there. Stuff like when the Impact Zone lot chanted "EV-ERY-BOD-Y *CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP* EV-ER-BOD-Y" during a four-way-dance at Slammiversary was quite sickening.

• Paid Members

"This is awesome!" is definitely the worst of the most widely used modern chants. "What?" does piss me off alot, especially when it's just this half-arsed muttering because the fans just feel like they should do something but can't think of any other way to react.

Back in the Attitude days when a heel talked the fans would all chant "Asssssshoooollleeeee!" which was fucking awesome.

Archived