"What!?"

Cobra1000

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I Hated this chant when it started, i hate it more now. Half of the dullards dont even know why they do it.

At least the "this is awesome" does not distract from whats happening, nothing worse than a great promo ruined by morons "what" If the impact crowd did this the fourm would demand the building be set alight.

Never been a fan of "you fucked up" "please go home" ect Worse still "you still suck"

• Moderators
At least the "this is awesome" does not distract from whats happening, nothing worse than a great promo ruined by morons "what" If the impact crowd did this the fourm would demand the building be set alight.

This. "This is awesome" is shit, but it's not as intrusive.

My favourite chant probably goes to "sweep it asshole, sweep it up!" to a poor schulb just trying to clean up ring who hasn't done anything wrong. I like to imagine a single solitary tear rolling down his cheek like Darryl Strawberry in the baseball episode of The Simpsons.

• Paid Members
This. "This is awesome" is shit, but it's not as intrusive.

My favourite chant probably goes to "sweep it asshole, sweep it up!" to a poor schulb just trying to clean up ring who hasn't done anything wrong. I like to imagine a single solitary tear rolling down his cheek like Darryl Strawberry in the baseball episode of The Simpsons.

Darrrrrrrrrrrrryl

tumblr_l57bd0DSD11qc073co1_400.gif

• Paid Members
At least the "this is awesome" does not distract from whats happening

For me it totally does, I'll be watching and totally drawn in completely forgetting it's all fake and then...that chant starts...and all of a sudden I don't care who wins anymore or what the story is. Because that chant just represents the terrible "you are doing a great job performing this fake fight, we really appreciate it!" attitude that so many indy fans have.

• Paid Members
For me it totally does, I'll be watching and totally drawn in completely forgetting it's all fake and then...that chant starts...and all of a sudden I don't care who wins anymore or what the story is. Because that chant just represents the terrible "you are doing a great job performing this fake fight, we really appreciate it!" attitude that so many indy fans have.

To be honest, if there is a "This is awesome" chant, I'm probably not into the match anyway because it's not my sort of shit. It doesn't have to indicate a fake fight though. In theory, you could have "This is awesome" chants during awesome MMA or Boxing matches.

I like to imagine a single solitary tear rolling down his cheek like Darryl Strawberry in the baseball episode of The Simpsons.

Brilliant analogy, even better gif!

Because that chant just represents the terrible "you are doing a great job performing this fake fight, we really appreciate it!" attitude that so many indy fans have.

What other kind of attitude are people supposed to have now that we know that its all pretend?

It doesn't have to indicate a fake fight though. In theory, you could have "This is awesome" chants during awesome MMA or Boxing matches.

This.

There were actually some wrestling chants creeping into the last UFC fight night I watched. Not the

• Paid Members
What other kind of attitude are people supposed to have now that we know that its all pretend?

When the average person see a movie and hate the villian they don't say/think when watching "that Gary Oldman is doing a hell of a performance as the bad guy, great show"...they think that afterwards. During the movie they think "I hate that guy, I hope he gets what's coming to him!" and wrestling should be the same.

The worst chant in wrestling ever however for me was the nauseating "please dont stop" at the wrestlers in the Dragon Gate 6 man at Supercard of Honor.

Roughly translated, "we are all marking out for really fast MOVEZ and don't actually give a shit about who wins. You have failed to make us care about winners or losers, we just want to see a 630 Moonbomb."

OK, OK.... avalanche-style, wristclutch 630 Moonbomb.

'91.

Great post. I've always hated chants like these, but couldn't quite nail down the exact reason they pissed me off without just going all anti-smark and abusive. This is spot on.

Do you know what's really terrible? When people chant 'this is awesome' about two minutes into a match. Seriously, fuck off.

Although havign said that I'm not a big fan of 'holy shit' chants. I think they kinda ruin the moment. That's more than likely just me though. I think it shows how watered down every shocking moment has become. Sure, if you see something shocking you might very well proclaim "holy shit" but you don't then chant it like you're in a cult. But of course for other people it'll probably be the exact opposite. I realise I'm on my own with that really. And its better than when people used to chant 'E-C-W' at anything they thought hardcore. When the Dudleys used to put people through tables people didn't chant 'N-W-A' because that's where they got the inspiration from. Hypocritical bastards.

Brilliant analogy, even better gif!

This.

There were actually some wrestling chants creeping into the last UFC fight night I watched. Not the

"SUPER-DRAGON"

or the classical

"YOU FUCKED UP"

There's plenty of chants that are over used. If you don't like the what chant switch over to njpw instead cos like it or not that what?! Chant is here to stay.

Archived