RIOT!

big mickey

Its amazing that people think that you can just "find the money". We had the money. We spent it stupidly. Now we're trying our level best to tighten our belts to get back on our feet. Yes its wank, and its meant that a lot of people have ended up jobless, but there was no other feasable solution. And yes, plenty of politicians are dishonest, but the last time I checked they weren't breaking into Curries for a new flatscreen.

Edited by Max Power

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its amazing that people think that you can just "find the money". We had the money. We spent it stupidly. Now we're trying our level best to tighten our belts to get back on our feet. Yes its wank, and its meant that a lot of people have ended up jobless, but there was no other feasable solution. And yes, plenty of politicians are dishonest, but the last time I checked they weren't breaking into Curries for a new flatscreen.

No they were just putting it on expenses when they weren't allowed, same principle, same morality, just an assumption they'd never get in any shit for it. As the letter a few pages back so accurately stated, cameron himself went around messing up small business's back in his teenage years, he just paid for the damage afterwards. Again it's pretty much the same morality, just from someone who's rich enough that spending the money doesn't matter.

As far as finding the money goes, well you don't have to cut the deficit in five years, we weren't close and aren't close to losing our credit rating, they've found the money to vodafone off the best part of

The Politicians could always take a pay cut and cut down their expenses claims that should make enough money to keep some Police on the streets.

:rolleyes:

Bloody populist.

Besides the fact that Ministers have had their pay reduced, I fail to see how reducing an MP's basic salary from

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

As the King of Swing pointed out though, they don't seem to have a problem finding money when it suits them. How many millions have we wasted bombing Libya for the last several months? And for what result - our foreign secretary doing the diplomatic equivalent of standing with his fingers in his ears going 'not listening, nananananna' to Gaddafi and Cameron getting to play at being a statesman for a few weeks.

I bet that money could have paid a few policemen's salaries.

• Paid Members
What is the alternative to the cuts? Spending money we haven't got for another 5 years, and making the cuts then?

The current government plans to spend "money we haven't got" for the next three years.

Never thought I'd fell sorry for Baroness Warsi, but it's got to suck to be introduced on TV as Minister for Social Cohesion right now.

She deserves everything she gets, vile woman. I was enjoying seeing her thrashed by Diane Abbott on Newsnight, one of the few politicians (along with Red Ken) who actually went out on the streets during the riots to try and calm things down. Warsi is a political lightweight promoted above her skill level.

As the King of Swing pointed out though, they don't seem to have a problem finding money when it suits them. How many millions have we wasted bombing Libya for the last several months? And for what result - our foreign secretary doing the diplomatic equivalent of standing with his fingers in his ears going 'not listening, nananananna' to Gaddafi and Cameron getting to play at being a statesman for a few weeks.

I bet that money could have paid a few policemen's salaries.

Indeed the argument that they have to make the cuts on here is absurd. People should feel safe in their community and as i said before right now (well before the riots) walking around Tottenham one of the roughest areas in the country you would hardly ever see a bobby on the beat. Stop and search is there for a reason but it also causes problems, having more police walking the streets should hopefully push the crime under ground where crime (which will always exist) should be. I don't profess to know where they find the money from but it's quite obvious that they do need to find it.

I'd also like to see the police look at themselves and try and make themselves a more attractive career option for people. If we can get more policeman who come from places like Tottenham i think relations would improve.

The current government plans to spend "money we haven't got" for the next three years.

I think also that the government is guilty of scaremongering about the budget like as if we go remain in debt the country will implode or something. I'd rather see more money spent on a long-term investment into the future of the country than budget cuts now taking us back years in terms of public spending.

Also, remember that shrinking the state/public services has been the ideology of the Tories since Thatcher. Even if we do need to desperately cut the budget deficit, why take it from the public purse? HSBC made a

Indeed the argument that they have to make the cuts on here is absurd. People should feel safe in their community and as i said before right now (well before the riots) walking around Tottenham one of the roughest areas in the country you would hardly ever see a bobby on the beat. Stop and search is there for a reason but it also causes problems, having more police walking the streets should hopefully push the crime under ground where crime (which will always exist) should be. I don't profess to know where they find the money from but it's quite obvious that they do need to find it.

I'd also like to see the police look at themselves and try and make themselves a more attractive career option for people. If we can get more policeman who come from places like Tottenham i think relations would improve.

See, this is where people like us can agree and could come to a compromise. You suggest more funding for police, which I would agree with, however I'd also add a lot more funding for deprived areas to provide those who do need them with sufficient services.

Also, as far as your police point of taking on from different areas, I agree. And also, I think there's a LOT more to be done in the police in terms of race relations as I think that institutional racism still runs rife throughout the police, especially the Met. A youth worker from Tottenham was quoted in the Guardian as saying that he's heard police call 18 year olds "niggers and bitches" - and sadly, that wouldn't surprise me. I'm not saying thats the majority, but even a minority like that should not be tolerated.

See, this is where people like us can agree and could come to a compromise. You suggest more funding for police, which I would agree with, however I'd also add a lot more funding for deprived areas to provide those who do need them with sufficient services.

Also, as far as your police point of taking on from different areas, I agree. And also, I think there's a LOT more to be done in the police in terms of race relations as I think that institutional racism still runs rife throughout the police, especially the Met. A youth worker from Tottenham was quoted in the Guardian as saying that he's heard police call 18 year olds "niggers and bitches" - and sadly, that wouldn't surprise me. I'm not saying thats the majority, but even a minority like that should not be tolerated.

I will always advocate more funding for poor areas, always but first and foremost i want to make them safe to live in which before the riots were even dreamed of Tottenham wasn't.

I think getting more police from different communities should improve race relations between the police and the public.

But where are they supposed to find the money? Labour left the country in a financial mess. I find it hard to get annoyed about any of the cuts because I think it's clear cuts are needed. It's terrible that we're in this position, but that's where we're at. People can bring up the expenses stuff, but again, that was under the previous government. This lot are faced with an impossible task that which ever way they handle things there will be a group of people upset by it.

Yes that was under Labour but if you think the Tories aren't up to the same thing your a bit deluded

As I said in a previous post only diffidence is at least the looters were honest about the fact they are nothing but thieves they both took stuff what they had no rights to have officially if may be called an expenses scandal but lets be honest in reality it was just stealing.

:rolleyes:

Bloody populist.

Besides the fact that Ministers have had their pay reduced, I fail to see how reducing an MP's basic salary from

• Paid Members
If Cameron wants less Police on the street what about getting rid of them who stand in front and behind his front door 24/7 after all if the streets are safe enough why does he need them to protect him and his house.

Because he's the fucking Prime Minister and needs 24/7 protection of the highest level you retard.

As I said in a previous post only diffidence is at least the looters were honest about the fact they are nothing but thieves they both took stuff what they had no rights to have officially if may be called an expenses scandal but lets be honest in reality it was just stealing.

I know you said that in your previous post - it was stupid then, and its stupid now. If you think that fiddling a few expenses is equal to completely destroying the homes, businesses and livelyhoods of innocent people then we may as well give up.

They weren't honest either - they originally hid behind the facade of a political protest over the shooting of that bloke. And the very fact that I can't even remember his name, probably sums up that very point.

EDIT: Mark Duggan! But it took me a good 35 seconds.

Edited by Max Power