RIOT!

big mickey

I know you said that in your previous post - it was stupid then, and its stupid now. If you think that fiddling a few expenses is equal to completely destroying the homes, businesses and livelyhoods of innocent people then we may as well give up.

They weren't honest either - they originally hid behind the facade of a political protest over the shooting of that bloke. And the very fact that I can't even remember his name, probably sums up that very point.

EDIT: Mark Duggan! But it took me a good 35 seconds.

Well, if you add up all the false expense claimed I'm sure you'll get a decent total - and that's only between a relatively small number of people. If you divide the cost of the damage of the riots between the number of people rioting, I'd hedge a bet it's a similar cost. Politician's fiddling expenses is still stealing, made worse by the fact they're the very people who will be the first to condemn theft. Whether you get yourself a TV through false expenses or steal it from a shop - the end result is still the same.

Also, although maybe some in London 'hid behind the facade', I'm sure a lot of them didn't. Neither did the ones in the other cities.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you said that in your previous post - it was stupid then, and its stupid now. If you think that fiddling a few expenses is equal to completely destroying the homes, businesses and livelyhoods of innocent people then we may as well give up.

They weren't honest either - they originally hid behind the facade of a political protest over the shooting of that bloke. And the very fact that I can't even remember his name, probably sums up that very point.

You're making the same mistake as alot do, to describe the rioters as one entity. The more complicated fact is some would genuinely have a real gripe with the police, some were determined only to turn over large companies and ignore small business's, the vast majority were not destroying homes, and some were opportunist criminals who joined in later, some were young stupid kids who had no idea about anything but went along with it for the fun.

Do I think kids turning up, seeing JDsports had had the windows smashed in and went in to grab some stuff for themselves too is comparable to mp's fiddling expenses? Undoubtedly, morally it's the same thing, an opportunity to steal presents itself so you take advantage. In fact, you could make a very good case that there's more reason for it, they're poor in the first place (and yes I know some rich kids did it as well, but the majority were poor kids from poor neighbourhoods) and do without a hell of alot more than politicians do.

Also, although maybe some in London 'hid behind the facade', I'm sure a lot of them didn't. Neither did the ones in the other cities.

I suppose that's ok then. Good old rioters, the salt of the earth; full of honesty, values and transparency.

Also, does that make the Manchester/Birmingham/Liverpool rioters a better class of rioter than the London ones then?

I suppose that's ok then. Good old rioters, the salt of the earth; full of honesty, values and transparency.

Also, does that make the Manchester/Birmingham/Liverpool rioters a better class of rioter than the London ones then?

Why are you putting words in my mouth?

Don't be retarded, he's in no way trying to justify the rioters, he's simply pointing out the broader social context it's happening in. And willfully misunderstanding every time he does so to accuse him of saying the rioting is justified is so amazingly counter productive it beggars belief.

Why are you putting words in my mouth?

It was actually Smeg who made the analogy that at least the looters were honest. Apologies. EDIT: Although you did allude to the fact that not hiding behind the initial shooting somehow gives the impression that we should empathise with them.

In fact, you could make a very good case that there's more reason for it,

Although that line isn't too great by Kiffy.

Edited by Max Power

It was actually Smeg who made the analogy that at least the looters were honest. Apologies.

Although that line isn't too great.

Ok, well I didn't say that line either. But I agree with it, you could definitely make that case. MP's who are on

Edited by Whiskey1

It was actually Smeg who made the analogy that at least the looters were honest. Apologies. EDIT: Although you did allude to the fact that not hiding behind the initial shooting somehow gives the impression that we should empathise with them.

Although that line isn't too great by Kiffy.

I said there's more justification for theft by the poor than by the rich, cos, you know, they have very little. Not that it's ok, just less unreasonable than the rich stealing even more.

Just seen the incredible statement by Tariq Jahan. I hope I could be so classy and considerate under the same circumstances. What a man.

Yeah top man!

Real shame what happened & he could easily have inflamed the situation, but he stood up & took charge of the situation, well played sir!

Yeah top man!

Real shame what happened & he could easily have inflamed the situation, but he stood up & took charge of the situation, well played sir!

Pretty much the exact opposite approach to the EDL, so yeah he did rather well.

Because he's the fucking Prime Minister and needs 24/7 protection of the highest level you retard.

But if the streets are safe enough for us to walk them safely without any danger what's he got to worry about as obviously Police are not needed because there is no crime about.

I never said it was equal I said they are still both thieves and most of them didn't hide behind Mark Duggan most admitted they were just there to nick stuff yes they looters were worse but they were honest when asked that they are nothing more than thieves.

• Paid Members
But if the streets are safe enough for us to walk them safely without any danger what's he got to worry about as obviously Police are not needed because there is no crime about.

I get the point you are trying to make, but the examples you have used are completely ridiculous.