TMZ pick up CM Punk calling a fan a homo and vagina

Psygnosis

• Paid Members

Fair play to Punk for a well judged apology on twitter.

I think there were problems with it, whereas in the past there wouldn't have been. Firstly, it is being promoted on a PG show, and there would be people likely complaining if that happened on any other show marketed at children.

Secondly, it doesn't fit Punk's character right now. His character is the 'honest man', who says what he means. Since he doesn't appear to be homophobic (judging by the fact he was happy about NY legalising gay marriage), it doesn't fit as an amplified version of himself.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But then he did call a fan a homo which I suppose would be like going to see a play and halfway through the guy playing Macbeth called you a cocksucker.

Stand up comedians call hecklers all sorts and the fella in the crowd was clearly getting in Punk's face, so you could take that view on it.

That doesnt really fly here, as the product is geared towards a family audience. It would have been fine in the old ECW though for example (The Dudleys used to say a lot worse!)

At a kids comedy show, there would be an uproar if the comedian turned round and shouted heckling kids 'homo's too - doesnt matter if its done 'in character' or not

In the end though, Punk has apologised for it

'Homo' and 'vagina' are pretty tame versions of slurs like 'faggot' and 'cunt' though, aren't they? I would argue that he's still had his PG head on to an extent when exchanging banter. Shows like Eastenders are also heavily marketed to kids/tweens, but feature storylines like crackhead Phil.

Interesting that he chose to bust out the homophobia while he's tached up like Freddie Mercury, though...

• Paid Members
'Homo' and 'vagina' are pretty tame versions of slurs like 'faggot' and 'cunt' though, aren't they? I would argue that he's still had his PG head on to an extent when exchanging banter. Shows like Eastenders are also heavily marketed to kids/tweens, but feature storylines like crackhead Phil.

Interesting that he chose to bust out the homophobia while he's tached up like Freddie Mercury, though...

True but still unsuitable for a childrens entertainer. If you took your kids to 'Jack & the Beanstalk' in Panto at Christmas & Widow Twanky started calling someone in the audience a 'homo' it'd be bang out of order.

It's a shame that the video came out because nobody would have batted an eyelid. Unfortunately, the whole thing has been blown up. CM Punk was probably forced to apologise, and I can't blame WWE for taking that stance. Once again, they have obligations to sponsors and the likes which are probably more important to them than protecting CM Punk's character. So he says he's sorry and they move on. End of story.

• Paid Members
It's a shame that the video came out because nobody would have batted an eyelid.

No it itsnt. Its a good thing the video came out, because now he knows using cheap heat like calling someone a "homo" isn't a viable form of heat. The reason nobody would have battered an eyelid would be because he'd have gotten away with it and continued to use vile insults like that around the loop. What he said was very, very wrong, and Michael Cole got hammered for it when he used a similar insult on his twitter. In my opinion if it was Jeff Hardy or Eric Bischoff who used the word homo on a house show, the internet and the sheets would have exploded with self-righteous drivel and called for them to be fired. But its easy to defend your favourites, even if they are in the wrong.

I'm not that bothered who says what really. I've always been a fan of "get heat any way you like" but I suppose in WWE that doesn't really work at the moment, and I'd certainly agree that CM Punk should have known better. If that same situation came up on a TV show I've no doubt he'd have acted differently. I suppose that might be the one part that bothers me about it. He did it because he thought he could, rather than anything else, which strikes me as incredibly stupid. If someone wants to take that risk, it's up to them though, and if they're gonna get caught then be ready to take whatever is coming.

Thinking of other instances of offensive cheap heat, do people reckon the JBL goose-stepping incident of a few years ago would have been similarly cracked down upon in today's environment, as opposed to giving him the belt shortly afterwards? I know the dirtsheets and the internet smarks were up in arms about it at the time, but Vince seemed to close ranks in support of JBL. Racism is surely as unacceptable in PG entertainment as homophobia.

Thinking of other instances of offensive cheap heat, do people reckon the JBL goose-stepping incident of a few years ago would have been similarly cracked down upon in today's environment

Yup. It was all over the place and I think they would have had no choice but to act.

• Paid Members

There are ways with dealing with it without actually dealing with it. JBL's a mate of higher ups in WWE, so there's always an understanding they could come up with that would be best for the company. You could publicially fine JBL like Undertaker and Triple H's chairshot at WrestleMania, but not announce how much he was fined. JBL got a massive amount of shit from that off the whole internet. They hated him for it. Maybe the heat he got was part of WWE's decision to put the belt on him. It made Fox News. He was bit of a hate figure at the time.

Before I look through this thread and feel like dashing my brains out, has any twat defend Punk because he's an internet fave and ignored the fact that he's on a show marketed to audiences of all ages and clearly said something he's been a total tool for and said he doesn't deserve the commotion?

Stand up comedians call hecklers all sorts and the fella in the crowd was clearly getting in Punk's face, so you could take that view on it.

Erm.....no? I watch a lot of stand up comedy in clubs and haven't seen someone using slurs of this type to knock down hecklers. They'd be a pretty poor comedian if their response was "You're a homo/poof right"?

I think the divide here is that some people, myself included, tend to think of calling someone a Poof/Homo/Faggot is a similar slur to calling someone a Paki. And yes goose stepping in Germany (presumably with plenty of jewish people in the crowd and out the back - "Hi Colt Cobana") isn't on, neither is calling someone a raghead etc. All cheap heat, all unnecessarily offensive, all unacceptable in my view PG or R rated or otherwise.

And for the person who suggested it was fine for someone to say any of this in a TV drama context - well I certainly haven't seen that happen in many TV dramas except in adult orientated, usually historical or very specific plotted circumstances where the character's make up is consistent with that.

I also can't stand the Cena/Rock anal fixated comedy gay insults - it's a bit dull compared to a genuinely funny or insulting promo - say CM Punk's from Raw last week.

In UFC I was referring Dana "you're a faggot" White and half his roster. I think UFC is where WWF was - it's a subculture where being casually and directly offensive to someone is just fine. God I wish they'd grow up as I love the product.

Archived