Scott Steiner SAVED his career in TNA

LWOLeN

• Paid Members
Steiner still recieved great reactions after his disaster of a macth with Triple H (who was the absolute drizzling shits during that period, as rightly pointed out), so it's not like the fans didn't still see him as a beast.

Really? I seem to recall at the time that Steiner was boo'd to shit by the end of the match. Every time he would throw a belly-to-belly, which was a LOT during that match, the crowd got on his back.

I wasn't watching much WWE at the time, but from what I recall he still had fanfare.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Had one of the best build ups to a feud in years with HHH

Really!?

Yep. People forget how great an angle that was because of the stinker of a match they had. The pose down, the arm wrestle, It was a proper old school buildup and felt like something out of the 80s (in a good way).

I watched that match recently, and HHH gave him nothing... NOTHING! Scotty obviously wasn't in shape for a 20 minute match, but they clearly could have planned something out, but basically, HHH just let Scotty throw him around until he wore himself out.

I think the rematch was better though.

It's a tough question to answer. Although he has been much more entertaining in TNA than he generally was during his WWE run, he has been very much in the mid-card. Had he not have had his WWE run, might he have been much more of a main event? It's hard to say, but when you consider his age and injuries, I think he's been used very well in TNA, irrespective of how he came out of WWE.

I guess the answer then, is yes. Although he's not turned his career around, a decent spell in TNA has meant that he didn't finish on the WWE low and it is now fading from memory.

The thing that always saddens me a little about Scott Steiner is that his big singles run came so late in his career. I remember being very excited when he went subtle heel and won the WCW TV title from Ricky Steamboat back in 1992. Had the Steiners not jumped to the WWF within weeks of that, what could Scott Steiner have become?

• Paid Members
Had the Steiners not jumped to the WWF within weeks of that, what could Scott Steiner have become?

A casualty of WCW's rotten business at the time? WCW wasn't in the position to be creating stars in 1993. They were on their arse and business was at an all time low. His Big Poppa Pump character was perfect for the era, and if WCW wasnt such a shambles at the time, he'd have been 10 times bigger than what he was. Goldberg and Steiners feud should be been seen by millions. They had so much chemistry and it always looked real.

I dont think TNA saved his career. He made big money in WWE, so financially was set for life, and did enough in his previous years to warrent his legendary status. Did WCW ruin Bret Hart's career? No. Did WWE ruin DDP's career? No. This pair are synonymous with a certain time, so its easy to forget their shit runs. WWE was in a bad period at the time, and Steiner didnt appear on to many PPV's, so his run wasnt memorable to many. I think the WWE completely missed the boat on Steiner though. They set him up for the fall big time. Your supposed to protect you big money signings (especially after being accepted like he was on his debut).

'... to establish himself as a monster & to get the Steiner recliner over as a killer finisher, as opposed to just a reverse chinlock.'

I always found it amazing how little reaction the recliner got in WWE. It was the same with moves like the Diamond Cutter aswell. There were still plenty of adult viewers who went to Raw who had watched WCW so it just seemed bizarre.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed his WWE stint bar his matches with Triple H. That said, the actual build up to the first match was great and I really wanted Steiner to win the title from Hunter. The second leg of the feud was a bit shit, but his first match with Triple H had taken the wind out of the sails of the feud somewhat.

I agree with Mr Showtime when it comes to his storyline with Test, that was brilliant and the RAW highlight of that summer for me also. The matches between the two were pretty good too, seriously underrated actually.

I love Scott Steiner, he was a really good athelete back in the early 90s and could do some amazing stuff with his speed, agility and power. I think him turning to steroids and bluking helped him from a career point as he won singles titles and main evented wcw but he slowed down alot. TNA is perfect forhim due to the road schedule means he has more time away from the ring which if he was in wwe hed probaubly take to pain killers to get through everynight.

hes still entertaining and can still wrestle anyone. doubt he will be a world champion again though. but deffinetley a future hall of famer alongside rick as the steiner brothers

• Paid Members
I love Scott Steiner, he was a really good athelete back in the early 90s and could do some amazing stuff with his speed, agility and power. I think him turning to steroids and bluking helped him from a career point as he won singles titles and main evented wcw but he slowed down alot. TNA is perfect forhim due to the road schedule means he has more time away from the ring which if he was in wwe hed probaubly take to pain killers to get through everynight.

hes still entertaining and can still wrestle anyone. doubt he will be a world champion again though. but definetley a future hall of famer alongside rick as the steiner brothers

People tend to forget that he was already huge when he was tagging with his brother

07.jpg

His arms were massive there. Obviously he did start to look freaky but it wasn't like he was tiny before the image change.

Also am i imagining it or when he turned heel to rejoin up with Test did he give Stacey a Belly to Belly. Im sure i remember it happening

Steiner has slowed down a lot now. It's to be expected, he's what, 45, now? I turned on TNA for one of the first times in ages the other night and it was Bully Ray vs Steiner. Big Bubba was actually creating movement around Steiner to give the illusion of a fast pace, and when Steiner managed a quickened half-step, Tenay called it as "a running clothesline!" So it doesn't look like Scotty's in good ring shape anymore, despite still looking awesome. He should probably call it a day soon, one more prominent program would be nice though.

As far as the topic question, it would depend on how many Steiner fans watch TNA and are aware he's there. On a personal level for Steiner, the work he's doing in TNA is miles ahead of his WWE work, but if a tree falls in the woods, is anyone there to hear it? If old WCW and WWE fans think he just disappeared off the radar, then their last memories of Big Poppa Pump would be those abominable matches with HHH and falling off the apron. Personally though, I enjoyed the Test feud overall, Steiner had shaken away the ring rust and was delivering passable matches. He also had a good showing in the Survivor Series match. So I'm not as sour on Steiner's WWE run as some people are.

Steiner's TNA mike work is must watch TV.

When Steiner comes on the screen, I keep watching until he's gone. He's still an attention grabbing Superstar and I hope he sticks around.

I think they are missing an opportunity by not featuring him nearer the top of the card. They should also not turn him Heel again. The people love Steiner's mental character and TNA should embrace that. He was the most over guy on the roster on some of their non-Impact Zone shows.

Steiner has slowed down a lot now. It's to be expected, he's what, 45, now? I turned on TNA for one of the first times in ages the other night and it was Bully Ray vs Steiner. Big Bubba was actually creating movement around Steiner to give the illusion of a fast pace, and when Steiner managed a quickened half-step, Tenay called it as "a running clothesline!" So it doesn't look like Scotty's in good ring shape anymore, despite still looking awesome. He should probably call it a day soon, one more prominent program would be nice though.

Scott Steiner is 48 years old. Of course, he has slowed down. He has had injuries that has troubled him for well over a decade(?). By slowing down his style, he has been able to lengthen his career.

• Paid Members

I posted something a while back regarding Steiner. I always seem to forget that the Steiner now is the same guy that teamed with his bro back in the day. Id also got it into my head somewhere along the line that he sucked so i was pleasently surprised to see him looking so good in tna recently. Oh, i also think Steiner's crazy man gimmick is one of the most effective and realistic ever, he always that unhinged danger about him, awesome.

Archived