The Thing Mafia Game

Chris B

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vote: Teedy Kay

Because he is a dirty little rat.

Also I am new to this so not sure why I am being lynched?

:confused:

RVS. That's Random Vote Stage. At the start of the game, people throw out pointless votes, usually for trivial or funny reasons (often to make a point about someone killing them in a previous game or because they're "always scummy" or other completely stupid reasons. It's just a fun way of getting everybody posting. Usually at some stage, someone will say something that triggers a real reaction and the game proper gets underway. Having said that, some players are able to get good reads from RVS, and often there's some basic information you can glean from it, especially later in the game if you notice a pattern to someone's votes.

• Paid Members
UnfitFinlay - got all your scum reads yet? Give us a hint. ;)

Some of us are scum. How's that? :)

On a serious note: Does anybody have any idea about how many scum we might actually be looking for? Two or three would seem to fit with this number of people. I've not seen the film so I dunno how much an impact the theme might have?

The film starts with basically one, but it then infects others pretty quickly. I can't remember how many are actually confirmed as Things by the end though. I'm inclined to think that if it's based solidly on the film, it might be a case of one scum with recruiting powers, but that's very probably reading way too much into the flavour. Who knows?

I'm of the same opinion of Kenny. If we're sticking to the theme of the game, one solitary scum with recruiting powers. But would the recruiting count as a town kill, or would there still be town kills but infecting people to become things too?

• Paid Members

I've never seen The Thing, so i'll have to just take people's word on what the film is about. However, I don't think the "one scum" idea is a good one to take on board right now. It gives everyone else a free pass. For example, a few people accuse me of being scum, then if people buy into that theory, none of the actual scum will get targetted.

You've all seen how some people who play this get set on one idea and run with it, ignoring all others. I think it's dangerous play to assume there's one scum right now.

Some of 'us' as opposed to some of 'you'?

as for the flavour with that being the case we may well be looking at a cult, perhaps the flavour of the scream was infact someone being recruited. Though that's reading into this more than we likely should in day 1.

Yeah, for the time being we just need to look for people being scummy. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out someone who looks like "confirmed town" on day one or two suddenly turning out to be scum by day three.

TripleA - why would we suspect you of being scum?

Chris Stone - what's your scumhunting strategy at this early stage?

• Paid Members

Some of 'us' as opposed to some of 'you'?

as for the flavour with that being the case we may well be looking at a cult, perhaps the flavour of the scream was infact someone being recruited. Though that's reading into this more than we likely should in day 1.

Yup.

It's a small thing but I've never been a fan of saying "I'm not scum" like that. Feels too much like telling people not to suspect me. *I* know I'm town but, until I either flip or am confirmed by a Cop, then I absolutely should be a suspect, same as everybody else.

I agree with Triple A about the "one scum" thing. It might fit the flavour but Chris has obviously put a lot of effort into this game and I'm not sure that he'd set up in way where it could potentially end by lynching correctly on day one.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen much of The Thing beyond the trailer, but as I understand it, it is indeed people being "taken over" one by one. Seeing as that appears to be the main thrust of the horror and paranoia element of the movie, it's logical to assume that this would be the mechanism of the game - otherwise, how else could the game be based on "The Thing"?

I agree with TripleA's assertion that we shouldn't get too focused on one idea and run with it exclusively, but by the same token, I'd say it's got to be the strongest likelihood. Also, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the fact that it's called "The Thing", and not "The Things" or "Things", implies a solitary being, no? Surely, then, this means, if we do have in essence a Cult Scum party which recruits along the lines of an alien creature arriving and taking over everybody, it's very likely that the game has started with one Scum recruiter?

I know it's a lot of meta relying on origin material and flavour, but these strike me as the likeliest eventualities.

Archived