The Thing Mafia Game

Chris B

Stop leaking your work schedule to people in these games! It's scummy as it encouages inactivity! ;)

By the way Kenny *IS* scum, discuss.

No I'm not. And you smell of poo.

Chris Stone doesn't respond to questions posed of him a page ago. This requires no discussion. It's a fact.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually had missed your post, i'll have to have a quick reread of that page to make sure i didn't miss anything else however here's the answer you so desperately desire ;)

Chris Stone - what's your scumhunting strategy at this early stage?

In all honesty, I don't have a strategy and if I did I wouldn't make it redundant by outting it right now. I guess it's up to you to look at my posts and work out what you can :)

Yeah, you only know I'm scum when he confirms it. Or when you talk to me in QT. ;)

OK - balls to RVS. Let's hear some serious thoughts. First of all, a question for everyone: What do you make of the game set-up? Do you think the flavour posts so far have just been to keep us thinking or do you think they have some meaning? If so, what?

Yeah, you only know I'm scum when he confirms it. Or when you talk to me in QT. ;)

OK - balls to RVS. Let's hear some serious thoughts. First of all, a question for everyone: What do you make of the game set-up? Do you think the flavour posts so far have just been to keep us thinking or do you think they have some meaning? If so, what?

Don't under estimate me, I will lynch you ;)

'Balls to RVS, lets switch to what amounts to RQS' - Don't paint it as serious thoughts.

But to answer your question although i've already spoken of it:

I think we may well be in a cult game, the flavour fits it. I believe if we are that the game DID start with only 1 cultist and he can recruit in the DAY - The scream we heard was somebody being recruited so there are now 2 cult members. It's balanced since it starts the numbers low and i believe the general stats on mislynches on day 1 is around 80% (over on ms.net - pretty sure i read that in a post today actually) by the second night phase, we'd be looking at 3 cultists.

The reason I don't want to start down this line of enquiry is pretty simple, it leads to the question: 'Who would you recruit?' and we'd end up with 2 - 3 players named and some would automatically assume that one of those must be a cultist now, which could be wrong for a number of reasons, not least that we may not actually have a cult at all.

• Paid Members

Kenny, stop flirting with Chris. He's mine and he knows it, the hussy.

I think we may well be in a cult game, the flavour fits it. I believe if we are that the game DID start with only 1 cultist and he can recruit in the DAY - The scream we heard was somebody being recruited so there are now 2 cult members. It's balanced since it starts the numbers low and i believe the general stats on mislynches on day 1 is around 80% (over on ms.net - pretty sure i read that in a post today actually) by the second night phase, we'd be looking at 3 cultists.

I agree with your assessment of the set-up (as it's pretty much what I said earlier), but your assertion concerning what the flavour text means seems a little too sure for my liking. You state it like it's a fact, which is a little...

The reason I don't want to start down this line of enquiry is pretty simple, it leads to the question: 'Who would you recruit?' and we'd end up with 2 - 3 players named and some would automatically assume that one of those must be a cultist now, which could be wrong for a number of reasons, not least that we may not actually have a cult at all.

Agh, I'm not sure whether or not I concur with this; on the one hand, it's right that we don't get bogged down in focusing on certain players, but by the same token (and without trying to go too far into WIFOM), the likelihood is there that whoever is recruiting will go for the better players.

In this case, Chris, I'm sorry to say it means you're gonna be under a pretty heavy spotlight, I think, as will swiftstrike, Kenny, TripleA, and, if I flatter myself, I.

EBWOP: Oh, and finlay too.

• Paid Members

UNVOTE

Vote Kenny MC Bride

The only thing to do when told someone is scum, anyway Chris How did you come to this conclusion.

Also I don't think there is a cult, it would be two much in a small game like this to have a cult and keep the balance, much more likely that there is just a scum team, likely of 2 members to keep balance in the game. So really don't think we should be going out hunting a cult that may not exist.

Kenny, stop flirting with Chris. He's mine and he knows it, the hussy.

I agree with your assessment of the set-up (as it's pretty much what I said earlier), but your assertion concerning what the flavour text means seems a little too sure for my liking. You state it like it's a fact, which is a little...

Agh, I'm not sure whether or not I concur with this; on the one hand, it's right that we don't get bogged down in focusing on certain players, but by the same token (and without trying to go too far into WIFOM), the likelihood is there that whoever is recruiting will go for the better players.

In this case, Chris, I'm sorry to say it means you're gonna be under a pretty heavy spotlight, I think, as will swiftstrike, Kenny, TripleA, and, if I flatter myself, I.

EBWOP: Oh, and finlay too.

I was simply writing with the assumption in mind that if it is a cult game it's my opinion that the scream would have been a recruitment, i also ran some worst case scenario's and it makes sense that such a cult would indeed have day recruits. It means you can start with 1 cultist (this is an 11 player game, so it would be most likely) but you'd also need a second in night 1 due to it being a 1/11 chance to simply end the game in one night.

With the assumption of a cult, starting with 1 player and recruting in the first day worst case scenario for town is:

10 town - 1 cultist

Day 1

Cult recruit town - Mislynch

8 town - 2 cultists

Day 2

Cult recruits - mislynch

6 town 3 cultists

Day 3

Cult recruits - Mislynch

4 town, 4 cultists

Cult wins

3 mislynches in a row = town loss, which seems pretty balanced, although that doesn't take into account any other roles.

As i say though, avoiding this line of enquiry is best.

The only thing to do when told someone is scum, anyway Chris How did you come to this conclusion.

It's so blatently obvious.

It has been a while since I saw this film, but I plan on watching it again over the next few days, just to see if I can pick up anything that might lead us to any clues as to the actual game set up.

With the screams, you might be onto something, meaning the cult has it's first member or the flavor is just to indicate that we now have a cult member among us.

So we need to make sure that we get this right from the start, don't rush things, but make sure any actions the town power roles have are used correctly.

I have a feeling this game could end quickly if we mislynch too early or make mistakes protecting, tracking or using other roles against the wrong players.

I am not totally against a no lynch on day 1 if we can not get enough evidence for a strong case on someone, but would prefer that we try and work out a valid case, instead of some crap like Kenny is scum or vote off a strong player just in case.

• Paid Members

Votecount

Chris Stone (1) - Dazz

Swiftstrike (2) - unfitfinlay, Chris Stone

SMS (2)- Triple A, Carbomb

Denzel Maggiore (2) - Kenny McBride, Teedy Kay

Teedy Kay (2)- Lou Cyfer, Denzel Maggiore

Keny McBride (1) - Swiftstrike

Not Voting: SMS

With 11 players alive, it takes 6 to lynch.

Archived