Is Davey Richards the next Dynamite Kid/Chris Benoit?

The Great Muta

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To avoid making it an essay, will do it like this (though keep in mind, I'm not an expert on Strong Style, best to ask $tew):

- "stoic" endurance and "fire" are important aspects

- emphasis on "fighting spirit" and fighting back through pain

See, to my untutored eyes, those would seem to be exactly the same thing. Fighting back through pain = enduring pain, "fire" = "fighting spirit". So really, the difference is in the endings ;)

• Paid Members
To avoid making it an essay, will do it like this (though keep in mind, I'm not an expert on Strong Style, best to ask $tew):

- "stoic" endurance and "fire" are important aspects

- emphasis on "fighting spirit" and fighting back through pain

See, to my untutored eyes, those would seem to be exactly the same thing. Fighting back through pain = enduring pain, "fire" = "fighting spirit". So really, the difference is in the endings ;)

Pretty much what I was about to add. I'm not getting what the difference is.

As long as you don't claim, like a lot of stereotypical fappers do, that what's practiced on the indies is "Strong Style" and is thus the basis for being employed by NOAH, and, more importantly, that you're somehow some yardstick of what qualifies as good wrestling (as many RoHbots are wont to do), I have no problem. Some dick tried to do that a month ago in his defence of Super Dragon, and he just came across as the worst kind of Workrate Pervert.

I missed that thread, or the posts within it... Super Dragon is out-and-out 'Kings Road', as much as you'd hate to hear it!

Although he would have probably been better suited to strong-style had that style existed outside of Japan.

:)

All this talk of Davey Richards makes me miss Super Dragon. Davey's best stuff was tagging with him imo.

Both Davey and Danielson tagged with Super Dragon. Danielson shows way more natural fire imo.

Benoit was one of the names that I always looked forward to seeing because regardless of his faults he had you knew he would give you his all and would put on a great match

The problem when people say that is the possibility that Benoit's faults were a direct result of him giving us his all and putting on great matches. Which is why I don't think Benoit is a great choice to aspire to be. Sayign you see comparisons between Richards and Benoit is pretty damning. You think of all the wrestlers who were more over than Benoit and didn't make a living out of leaping off the top rope with a diving headbutt or any other of Benoit's dangerous moves, Benoit in the end proved that he wasn't actually a great worker. When it looked like Benoit was seriously putting his health on the line, he genuinely was. He wasn't working it. I was a big Benoit fan, his intensity was gripping and was, more than his suplexes, a big part of why I enjoyed him, but ultimately the results speak for themselves. You can't disconnect Benoit's tragic finish from the style he worked in the ring.

Dynamite Kid and Chris Benoit are two workers who, while producing epic and exciting matches in the ring, ultimately achieved neither fantastic drawing power and ended up being negative images for pro wrestling. I've never seen Davey Richards, but if I was a promoter and saw fans suggesting he was the next Dynamite Kid or Chris Benoit I'd steer clear of him. He'd never work for me. Not unless I hammered it into him that being compared to such men is ultimately a bad thing.

What's concernign in this thread is the idea that people would want another benoit or Dynamite Kid. That and there's probably workers out there who genuinely do want to follow in their footsteps. They're idiots being worked by the fans.

• Paid Members

I saw a brilliant line from someone on here some time ago that was along the lines of "Davey Richards is to Japanese wrestling what Mike Quackenbush is to lucha libre".

He can look the part, can do the moves, can follow the guide, but will never quite be right.

I saw a brilliant line from someone on here some time ago that was along the lines of "Davey Richards is to Japanese wrestling what Mike Quackenbush is to lucha libre".

I think that these two guys have one major thing in common. Both guys look much better when tagging. I actually can't stand Mike Quackenbush in singles competition. I'm a massive fan of The American Wolves, and I don't mind Quackenbush when he's doing the trios stuff in CHIKARA.

• Paid Members

I think that these two guys have one major thing in common. Both guys look much better when tagging. I actually can't stand Mike Quackenbush in singles competition. I'm a massive fan of The American Wolves, and I don't mind Quackenbush when he's doing the trios stuff in CHIKARA.

This is fairly accurate, in terms of the Wolves, but even in tags/trios/atomicos bouts I still think Quack just doesn't get it.

In response to Benoit being an unsafe worker, was his style really that damaging? I can understand how sudden neck bridges from German/Dragon suplexs could severely damage a neck, but I have yet to understand how a Diving Headbutt is the main focus when discussing Benoits punishing style.

Did Dynamite and Harley have bad necks from the move?

I'm inclined to believe that the damage came more from high impact bumps every night. Could be wrong.

I can't understand that wanting to emulate the kind of performance a Dynamite Kid or a Chris Benoit brought to the ring is such a bad aspiration. As long as they are safe it shouldnt be a problem surely?

Personally don't think he's suited to either Japan or WWE, but there it is. Good look, technically sound - but that is literally ALL he has as a wrestler.

Good look + works well + has a style that the Japanese tends to like = unqualified to work in Japan? :confused:

I can't understand that wanting to emulate the kind of performance a Dynamite Kid or a Chris Benoit brought to the ring is such a bad aspiration. As long as they are safe it shouldnt be a problem surely?

How does one safely emulate a kind of performance that produced a cripple and a literally demented lunatic?

Archived