Is Davey Richards the next Dynamite Kid/Chris Benoit?

The Great Muta

I saw a poster recently that had Davey Richards in the centre for a wrestling event in Barcelona. I couldn't get over how much he looked like a modern day Tom Billington!

Watching his matches he seems to bring that legitimate air with him where you think he is really beating the shut out of his opponents.

Whatever your opinions of Dynamite and Chris Benoit are, I don't think anybody can argue that their wrestling was absolutely phenomenal. I think that the WWE is missing a trick not filling that intense technical wrestler void that Chris Benoit left. I think Davey Richards would be the only man to fill that slot convincingly.

An argument could be made for Brian Danielson but he has never had that Dynamite or Benoit menace about him.

Davey needs to be signed up.

What you guys think?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I saw a poster recently that had Davey Richards in the centre for a wrestling event in Barcelona. I couldn't get over how much he looked like a modern day Tom Billington!

Watching his matches he seems to bring that legitimate air with him where you think he is really beating the shut out of his opponents.

Whatever your opinions of Dynamite and Chris Benoit are, I don't think anybody can argue that their wrestling was absolutely phenomenal. I think that the WWE is missing a trick not filling that intense technical wrestler void that Chris Benoit left. I think Davey Richards would be the only man to fill that slot convincingly.

An argument could be made for Brian Danielson but he has never had that Dynamite or Benoit menace about him.

Davey needs to be signed up.

What you guys think?

Never really seen too much of his work tbh. From what i have seen, it seems like he is more suited to japan than wwe. I gather he's not so well regarded on this forum, but we shall see...

He's good to be sure, but he has unreal flaws. His big matches are too long and have too many stupid nearfalls.

He's turned into quite the intense wrestler over the last three years which has been good to see, but at the same time, the reason it looks like he's beating the shit out of wrestlers is because, in most cases, he actually is.

I've often wondered if he could make it in WWE because if you take that stuff away from him, what does he have? And that is what seperates the likes of Dynamite Kid and Chris Benoit from him.

• Paid Members

Personally don't think he's suited to either Japan or WWE, but there it is. Good look, technically sound - but that is literally ALL he has as a wrestler.

Comparisons have been made to Davey's style resembling Benoit/Dynamite since about 2007 if not earlier. I would never want to see a watered down Davey in WWE myself. Plus he's already hinted at retirement twice in the past few years so who knows how long he plans are carrying on.

He's good to be sure, but he has unreal flaws. His big matches are too long and have too many stupid nearfalls.

He's turned into quite the intense wrestler over the last three years which has been good to see, but at the same time, the reason it looks like he's beating the shit out of wrestlers is because, in most cases, he actually is.

I've often wondered if he could make it in WWE because if you take that stuff away from him, what does he have? And that is what seperates the likes of Dynamite Kid and Chris Benoit from him.

Pretty much agree with this, the bit in bold could be applied to almost every indy wrestler!

I'm not sure he'd fit in WWE but would they take that stuff away? I don't watch WWE reguarly and haven't for a long time but didn't they let Low-KI wrestle a similar way to what he always has? I know Low-Ki has now left but you get my point.

Pretty much agree with this, the bit in bold could be applied to almost every indy wrestler!

I like stupid nearfalls, but only when they're done to the point where 1) I buy into them and 2) I'm not losing interest because of how ridiculous it's getting, and Richards does #2 far too much. That's why I said too many of them. ;)

Low Ki toned down quite a bit. He didn't just kick and stomp the shit out of folk like he did in the indies. Incidentally, I can't remember liking a single match he had in WWE.

He's intense and must have a load of stamina to not blow up in the ring but it's mostly for nothing. He could do less than what he's doing now and get more reaction. I like that he's intense but his matches are a blur of forearms and Germans and have ridiculous near falls. The whole 'fire' thing makes me think he's more suited to Japan. He needs to slow it down.

I'm pretty new to posting on the forum but it's something I'm going to get into.

Wasn't aware that opening a thread on Davey Richards was considered brave! I'm unaware of the pitfalls of the UKFF obviously! :)

I await my reprimand :)

I was semi joking in a way, but there are a small army of proud

Does being the next Dynamite Kid or Chris Benoit mean seriously injuring yourself by taking stupid risks in the ring and despite being willing to do such dangerous moves never actually being a mega star? I know Benoit got to go over at WrestleMania before anyone brings it up as evidence of him being a huge star, but he's not, and never would have been, up there with the real big stars. Probably on the third tier I suppose. There's worse places to be. I'm assuming Davey's one of those wrestlers that wants to be the next Dynamite Kid, in which case he's probably an idiot. I'd much rather be the next John Cena myself.

• Paid Members
I'm pretty new to posting on the forum but it's something I'm going to get into.

Wasn't aware that opening a thread on Davey Richards was considered brave! I'm unaware of the pitfalls of the UKFF obviously! :)

I await my reprimand :)

I was semi joking in a way, but there are a small army of proud

Archived