Is Davey Richards the next Dynamite Kid/Chris Benoit?

The Great Muta

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Davey Richards seems to suffer from a problem I see quite a bit in a few indies which is it seems like he's cosplaying Dynamite Kid/Chris Benoit, but without the charm and real intensity. He's very crisp and all that, but it just seems a lot more forced and more like a game on Smackdown vs Raw than a fight, which is what Dynamite and Benoit brought to the table. He tries to create these epic and titanic tussles, but they just seem forced as opposed to an organic tour de force which really takes away from the match as someone viewing it.

I suppose a lot of it with him and similar talents is that they grow up watching all these epic AJPW matches off traders and that, and when they break in almost "play wrestler" as opposed to studying and replicating why those matches really were big epic battles, and it wasn't getting one's shit in.

I think Eddie Edwards is definately the better of the Wolves. The thing with him as well is that he doesn't HAVE to go hard in the ring. The guy is just ridiculously talented. Problem is that he has the character of a rake.

That is the character though innit; dead hard no-nonsense bastards, dangerous cunts who could kick your head in for looking at them wrong. That

That is the character though innit; dead hard no-nonsense bastards, dangerous cunts who could kick your head in for looking at them wrong.

That's not what I mean. There have been characters like that before and the people with them had the charisma to make it work. Eddie Edwards doesn't, which is a shame, because the guy is absolutely brilliant.

• Paid Members
Davey Richards seems to suffer from a problem I see quite a bit in a few indies which is it seems like he's cosplaying Dynamite Kid/Chris Benoit, but without the charm and real intensity. He's very crisp and all that, but it just seems a lot more forced and more like a game on Smackdown vs Raw than a fight, which is what Dynamite and Benoit brought to the table. He tries to create these epic and titanic tussles, but they just seem forced as opposed to an organic tour de force which really takes away from the match as someone viewing it.

I suppose a lot of it with him and similar talents is that they grow up watching all these epic AJPW matches off traders and that, and when they break in almost "play wrestler" as opposed to studying and replicating why those matches really were big epic battles, and it wasn't getting one's shit in.

That's a pretty excellent assessment of a lot of the modern indy wrestlers. Go back 8 or 9 years and the same was true but substitute AJPW for those Malenko/Guerrero ECW matches.

• Moderators
I think Eddie Edwards is definately the better of the Wolves. The thing with him as well is that he doesn't HAVE to go hard in the ring. The guy is just ridiculously talented. Problem is that he has the character of a rake.

That is the character though innit; dead hard no-nonsense bastards, dangerous cunts who could kick your head in for looking at them wrong. That

I was actually talking about Eddie Edwards with regards to lack of character. I think Davey Richards has at least some going for him and I do think his intensity comes across well before he even wrestles/kicks/stiffs his opponent. It's what happens in later stages of his matches that really bugs me.

• Moderators

Apologies, my mistake. Still, what I said has legs as far as I'm concerned. If he's meant to be a little hard bastard why doesn't he change up his look to really get that over? To be seen as a hard bastard who'd twat you for looking at them the wrong way, it helps to look like a hard bastard who'd twat you for looking at them the wrong way.

I don't see Richards as really having much of that character though. If you see Steve Blackman for 60 seconds you know that's his character. He looks hard, he acts hard, and he does Karate. You wouldn't get that from Davey Richards in 60 seconds, that's why I'll agree with Haraga he's not got much character, and he doesn't look like a bad bastard either. If someone has got character it permeates through to you as the viewer straight away.

He does do a bit of the squinty eyed carpet carrying walk sometimes which indicates a little that he

He rolls his shoulders over like he's a hulking 6 foot 5 wrestler, but he's what, 5' 8"? Just like Low Ki, if he brings that into WWE he'll look like a div.

From what little I've seen on youtube, he's got all the moves but doesn't seem to be using them to actually fight a guy, it's more like he's pressing the buttons on a joypad, as Butch said. I can't see the WWE picking him up, and if they do he'll be repackaged like Jamie Noble.

He rolls his shoulders over like he's a hulking 6 foot 5 wrestler, but he's what, 5' 8"? Just like Low Ki, if he brings that into WWE he'll look like a div.

From what little I've seen on youtube, he's got all the moves but doesn't seem to be using them to actually fight a guy, it's more like he's pressing the buttons on a joypad, as Butch said. I can't see the WWE picking him up, and if they do he'll be repackaged like Jamie Noble.

I don

He might do quite well in TNA also, in the X Division. Could create a bit of a Samoa Joe buzz for coming in and beating people up rather than high-flying.

He might do quite well in TNA also, in the X Division. Could create a bit of a Samoa Joe buzz for coming in and beating people up rather than high-flying.

In the era of Joe, Styles and Daniels trading the belt and having their breathtaking triple threat wars I think he could have fit into the Division's mould quite well. That was one of the only times to me where a

• Paid Members

That's a pretty excellent assessment of a lot of the modern indy wrestlers. Go back 8 or 9 years and the same was true but substitute AJPW for those Malenko/Guerrero ECW matches.

I agree completely. I've been posting criticisms to that effect for a while now myself.

Archived