Randy Savage Dies

Jambo

Fucking hell. One of the greatest ever. Was always regretful we never got to see Savage against so many names.

Such as?

I remember in late '96 when his WCW contract ran out and he was in talks with/rumoured to be on his way back to WWF he'd apparently been promised a run/main event spot at WM 13 - FWIW I believe it was same with deal Hogan the previous summer (IIRC his deal ran out around the time he first turned heel) who had turned it down - at that point that would have meant him against Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Mankind, Undertaker and Vader. I'd have liked to have seen that. Still, instead he stayed 'Where The Big Boys Played' and made DDP into a star with an awesome feud.

Randy Savage vs Ron Garvin - Cage Match, ICW

Great match.

Randy Savage was everything I love about wrestling. Draped in colour, larger than life, a true character, an exciting firebrand in the ring. A huge loss to wrestling. RIP.

Great match. I mentioned that on here whilst talking about Garvin recently and it really is one of the better Cage matches I've seen (which is probably approaching a hundred). Everyone who hasn't seen pre-WWF Savage should check it out. :thumbsup:

Whilst we are at it, here are some more Cage Matches that people may not have seen him in:

1. Vs Jerry Lawler (1983):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPKZda24qjE

2. Vs Honkytonk Man (1988):

3. Vs Ultimate Warrior (1991):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzeWTlW9fgc

4. Vs Jerry Lawler (1993):

A decade later Macho Man and The King still had it.

If it wasn't for Randy Savage, and the fact that his intensity overcame the pantomime acting of Elizabeth and Hogan in the angle when they split, I wouldn't be a wrestling fan today.

I think I probably like Hogan more than you do but same here. Even though I'd seen wrestling on and off on both ITV and cable (Sky Channel, Screensports, and even Lifestyle) with my dad in the couple of years before that, had friends in and out of school who liked wrestling, and didn't exactly hate it was only when I heard Savage was the new WWF Champ that I started following week to week. Nothing against Daddy, Haystacks, Hogan, Andre, the GLOW girls or any of the others I had seen/heard of but if it had been just those guys I don't think I'd have become anywhere close to as big a fan as I did because none of them made me want to watch it all the time. It was just one of those things that I watched on TV occasionally along with a bunch of other sports that I didn't mind but never became a 'fan' of.

Savage was the coolest character on the bits that I did see, so when I heard he was 'The Man' it made me want to actively watch it. That was twenty three years ago now and I still watched SmackDown last night. I'd say he did his job.

Is this the biggest wrestling star to die since Andre the Giant, 18 years ago?

On a worldwide scale in terms of a modern audience I think it probably is. Unless I'm forgetting someone obvious then the one that comes closest is Lou Thesz (who died in 2002) but a lot of the people who were watching him in as champion in the 30s, 40s, 50s and even the 60s had died or moved on from wrestling completely by the time the new millennium hit and probably weren't even aware of it.

Although in terms of Japan then Baba, Jumbo, Hashimoto and Misawa were all massive stars/a big deal/very important to wrestling history as well (particularly Baba). Likewise in the UK Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks and Jackie Pallo were some of the biggest most well known stars we've had.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Fucking hell. One of the greatest ever. Was always regretful we never got to see Savage against so many names.

Such as?

So many. The main one would've been against Austin, but just imagine Macho against The Rock, Michaels, Kane, Angle, Triple H, Mankind, Jericho, even the likes of Road Dogg, X-Pac and D'Lo.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/articles.aspx...&ocid=today

One of the headlines on MSN. Just goes to prove he was larger than wrestling itself.

Anyone in the UK seen anything in the papers? I'm interested to know which papers mention it / how many column inches are given to him.

it was covered on the front pages of the sun online and digital spy

It's really taken me this long to find this news out. I logged on earlier today joking to myself "ah, log onto ukff quickly, just make sure nobody's died"...

... missed this thread. It was already on page two.

Randy Savage was one of my all-time favourites and before Bret's singles push, was my favourite wrestler going. All-round awesome, a cut above every performer in the world today.

Shame we never did get one more short and sweet WWE run. Was never going to happen and that fact will sadly now never change.

This is a bad one. What a legend. :(

I'll be re-watching some Savage over the next few days as I got some time off. His stuff with Warrior, Jake, Steamer will definitely get a view.

I read that and it actually annoyed me. Dusty Rhodes has a very high opinion of himself. There's 6 guys in wrestling who non fans know...Flair, Savage, Hogan, Andre and himself! I doubt I'd be able to find a single non fan who has heard of Dusty Rhodes!

6 is very optimistic... especially when The Rock isn't one of them.

Savage was in Spiderman although no fucker would know unless they are a wrestling fan and nobody's going reading the credits to find out unless they are a wrestling fan.

He did his rap music to get at Hogan... but no fucker paid attention accept for wrestling fans.

Hogan, Rock, Andre. That's still the list.

RIP Randy. Again. Fucking sucks.

• Paid Members
Hey all,

Really enjoyable, that, herbs. Thanks very much for posting.

I haven't seen this posted (it may very well have been) but I think that this is the last wrestling related thing Macho Man ever did...

This is awesome. Was it in conjunction with WWE or with the producers of the video game?

• Paid Members

Id' say as far as the general public knowing who they are, it would be Hogan, Savage, Andre and Warrior. And from the more modern era, it'd be Bret, Austin & Rock (and HBK at a stretch).

This is based on random people I know who aren't fans at all. I reckon that's it as far as household names go - the US would be different though - NWA/WCW didn't penetrate Europe as much as it did the US.

• Paid Members
I haven't seen this posted (it may very well have been) but I think that this is the last wrestling related thing Macho Man ever did...

This is awesome. Was it in conjunction with WWE or with the producers of the video game?

Looks to be in conjunction with the game's producers, much the same as the wrestling figure promo he did for Mattel.

Id' say as far as the general public knowing who they are, it would be Hogan, Savage, Andre and Warrior. And from the more modern era, it'd be Bret, Austin & Rock (and HBK at a stretch).

I would put The Undertaker on the list as well.

Archived