Give a Superstar a new gimmick

Cobra1000

So this is partly inspired by David Hart Smith's rather laughable attempt to distinguish himself (by wearing a cowboy hat on Superstars) About 7 mins in (also featuring LongIslandIcedZ)

What wrestler/superstar in WWE or even TNA could do with a freshen up? It could be just a tweak or a completely different gimmick to whats going on now.

Personally I think one of the most obvious ones, would be Ted Dibiase. At the moment all he is is dull, boring, bland, devoid of charisma and personality. But a change would do him the world of good, cause I reckon there is some talent there...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

DiBiase is a great example of the half-hearted gimmick. Everything is completely "meh." He comes out and talks about being loaded thanks to daddy, but there is nothing about his appearance or behaviour to build upon that. Apart from briefly having Virgil and then getting a gold-digger. Speaking of which, she added nothing. And his music is the very definition of "who cares?" Utterly dull and lifeless, as has DiBiases career been post-legacy. Meh. If you're going to do a gimmick, actually do something with it. I suppose the danger was doing stuff that could be criticized as just rehashing what they did with the aforementioned Teddy Bear Sr.

Personally I would do something different with Kofi Kingston as his whole act annoys me. His music, his mannerisms, his crowd-pandering movements, that stupid Boom drop malarky.. it just winds me up. A shame really because anyone else doing some of the athletic things he can do would make me interested, and I'm a big mark for the SOS/Ranhei (MOVEZ!!1), but what Kofi does at the moment drives me mad, to the point I like seeing him smashed by bastards like Sheamus/Nexus/Core/Mizark/anyone. They won't do it because The Kids love him, but I'd be tempted to something dark and evil with Kofi and make him a sinister heel.

Who am I kidding, I'd make him this decade's Papa Shango.

DiBiase is a great example of the half-hearted gimmick. Everything is completely "meh." He comes out and talks about being loaded thanks to daddy, but there is nothing about his appearance or behaviour to build upon that. Apart from briefly having Virgil and then getting a gold-digger. Speaking of which, she added nothing. And his music is the very definition of "who cares?" Utterly dull and lifeless, as has DiBiases career been post-legacy. Meh. If you're going to do a gimmick, actually do something with it. I suppose the danger was doing stuff that could be criticized as just rehashing what they did with the aforementioned Teddy Bear Sr.

I'd totally rehash the Million Dollar Man stuff with Ted Jr. Senior got over because he was a crazy, money obsessed maniac, whereas his son is just a guy who happens to have a lot of money, and brags about it now and then. He should be buying referees, and dumping Maryse for a different array of women each week. He GAVE UP the Million Dollar Title. His Dad would have never done that.

I would rehire Daivari and have him turn Rougeau, by having him come out and proclaim that he is still half American and his actions in the past have been driven by young man angst, but now he's The USA Kid. Go completely over the top with him posing with children and relaunch the Lex Express as the Davari Ferrari (or something else really cheesy) and just doing the rounds winding people up and almost mocking them. He could use the American flag as a terbin and so on.

• Paid Members

I've mentioned it before and i'd still like to see it happen, i've long have liked to have seen a Tyler Durden-esque character in wrestling/WWE. If ever there was the perfect model for such a character it's John Morrison. There were times when his Johnny Nitro character and heel Morrison characters didn't actually seem a million miles away from it and i'd love him to be taken full-on in such a direction.

I can't be bothered to go into details now of how i'd do it/use Morrison in this way as i've got to make like a baby and head out but, i may come back later and do so if the thread is still going.

• Paid Members

Ted DiBiase should completely denounce his father and his money, saying that he is going to work from the bottom up and prove his wealth as a competitor. I think he'd be a much better face. Also he could come out to Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son which would get rid of that god awful theme he has now.

• Paid Members
I'd make R Truth into a carbon copy of Ashley Cole

Cashley Truth: "North Carolina! Wanna see my air rifle?".

I'd turn Ted DiBiase into a full-on bum. His dad grows tired of his son's ungratefulness and cuts him off completely, resulting in Ted Jr. being released by the WWE due to the severed link. After a few weeks of living rough, he evades security and re-emerges as Teddy D, the humbled hobo. He pleads with Theodore Long for a second chance, which is granted on the premise that he leaves Teddy's office immediately due to, well, smelling homeless. This new "gift" benefits Teddy D in the ring, warding off opponents when they get too close. Eventually he wins over the crowd, having learned how much better it is to be grateful instead of greedy. He still lives under the ring, though.

• Paid Members

I like the Drew McIntyre psychopath idea, I think he'd pull off that role really well. However, I'd quite like to ressurect the Sean O'Haire "devil's advocate" gimmick and slap in on someone, and I can't see anyone else on the current roster who'd be more suited to it than McIntyre. Actually, David Otunga might be able to play the role and look the part, but I'm not completely sure he'd be able to make the gimmick work in ring by performing at an intense enough rate - we already know McIntyre can do that.

If I was going to repackage Justin Gabriel, I'd probably capitalize on the whole Twilight fad - I wouldn't be as blatant as to call him a "vampire", and I wouldn't even hint at it. Rather, I'd have him play a good guy with dark tendencies - a total loner and mysterious character, who kind of has that "Twilight", emo look about him. He'd initially wrestle an aggressive, violent style, but would show babyface tendencies by saving good guys, or a popular diva perhaps, from beat downs. He'd essentially shun them backstage, and for whatever reason stick to his lonely ways. With his high flying ring style and good looks, I think this character could get over.

I've mentioned it before and i'd still like to see it happen, i've long have liked to have seen a Tyler Durden-esque character in wrestling/WWE. If ever there was the perfect model for such a character it's John Morrison. There were times when his Johnny Nitro character and heel Morrison characters didn't actually seem a million miles away from it and i'd love him to be taken full-on in such a direction.

I can't be bothered to go into details now of how i'd do it/use Morrison in this way as i've got to make like a baby and head out but, i may come back later and do so if the thread is still going.

His t-shirts are a bit that way inclined, as well. But I don't get how you'd do it in wrestling, wouldn't it be the same kind of thing as Sean O'Haire?

• Paid Members

Please do. Sounds like an awesome idea for a character, and would like to hear your take on it. What with Vince Russo ripping off movie storylines, I'm surprised the WWF never tried something like this in 1999 when Fight Club came out. Would have been great to find someone like this to oppose Steve Austin.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure exactly how they would pull off a Tyler Durden esque character but John Morrison would be the ideal candidate.

Not a new gimmick but with R-Truth's new character I would turn him into a complete scumbag who is hated by the lockerromm aswell as the fans. Do a skit where the wrestlers chcuk him out the locker room and say he's not welcome in there. For his matches he comes out from the crowd with no entrance music as he's not welcome backstage. When he wins he lights up a ciggie and leaves back through the crowd. I think it would really work good, be original and suit his character.

They have a couple of meatheads on the roster so this idea would work for Mason Ryan or Tyler Reks but my idea is a big freakish looking super intense character but is managed by one of the divas and the diva basically manipulates this somewhat simple monster into doing her bidding. Basically a wrestler who is a powerhouse destroyer ran by an egomaniacal twisted diva. Anyone remember when Tori went nuts thinking all the other wrestlers were hitting on her so sent Kane to fuck them up? Like that, times ten.

The psycho character is perfect for Drew McIntye however I'd tie it in with when Vince picked him as future WWE Champion. Call him "The Chosen One" or something and he's this violent psychopath but is protected by the powers that be in the WWE so he is free to be as wild and dangerous as possible without any repurcussions.

• Paid Members

I love threads like this, everyone loves a good gimmick.

I'd have Randy Orton do a Skinhead gimmick and speak in his best attempt at an English accent while wearing a his boots with a white t-shirt, red braces & blue jeans with turn ups, he'd come out to some 2 tone ska music, be super aggressive in the ring and in promos & everyone black on the roster would be a bit careful around him.

I'd give Drew McIntyre a Medieval gimmick, wearing a suit of armour to the ring, dressing in finery for interviews, speaking old English etc.

Kelly Kelly should do a gimmick where she's possessed by the ghost of bruiser brody & starts dressing and acting like him in every way.

Kane should be "rehabilitated" and have a social worker who helps him get away from his demons by taking him away from all the dark morbid stuff he loves & taking him on picnics & day trips. There would be a vignette showing the social worker helping Kane move house, he'd move from a scary looking boiler room type place to a nice clean flat, then they go clothes shopping together & Kane comes out dressed in a short sleeved white shirt with tie, grey slacks and brown shoes. In the ring Kane would wear tracksuit bottoms and a vest & wrestle in a less violent, more sporty style.

Tatsu repackaged as the UnderTAKA, an indestructible Oriental gravedigger who becomes particularly unbeatable every March/April time.

Do this for twenty years. Then when he eventually loses his streak, he turns to voodoo, becoming the evil Papa Shingo.

Archived