Give a Superstar a new gimmick

Cobra1000

It's been a while and 90% of the fans will not remember it but could somebody use "The Loose Cannon" gimmick?

I thought they were going to do this with Daniel Bryan when he started attacking Cole and at the beginnong of Nexus. Maybe that was the plan until he tried replicating Benoit.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Not so much for a full on gimmick change, but I think in the case of a certain category of wrestlers such as your Daniel Bryans, Jack Swaggers and other types of that ilk (I.e Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas back in the day), great mat-based wresters who just don't have that extra spark on the microphone (or any spark at all for that matter), it would be nice to see more effort put into them to help cover up their lack of spark on the microphone. Giving them a fast-talking manager or a decent storyline or even just a few extra dimensions to their character would see them at the very least give the more charismatic main eventers like John Cena fresh opponents and rivalries.

One idea I had a while back was to take someone like Bryan or Swagger and to go completely overboard on pushing their submission finishers. Depending on their brand, have them cut a promo (or a manager to cut one for them) showing a list of the entire roster of said brand...and promptly going through the entire list until each member of the roster has tapped out. Start feeding them some of the scrubs of the roster like Curt Hawkins, DH Smith and so on and eventually work your way up the card towards the main event players. You could span this out over a big period of time and the more names that get ticked off the list, the more credible they become and the more people will be interested in buying tickets to see if a big name will potentially tap or not. It could even lead to a title run or something down the line if they were that way inclined. The best part is, they wouldn't even need to really talk. Just keep putting out highlight videos showing their intensity and the names that keep succumbing to the list. It may even elevate other wrestlers, vowing not to have their name crossed off and building up an interesting rivalry, only for them to eventually tap and for both guys to move on to fresh feuds. It's not exactly my name is Earl or Undertaker's streak, but it's something I think has legs.

An idea I had for Swagger a while back was to team him with Benjamin and make them a couple of goofball Pro-America types. Start them off as badass heels and then eventually pull the trigger on a faceturn, which wouldn't be too hard to do considering WWE's patriotic American audiences.

Not so much for a full on gimmick change, but I think in the case of a certain category of wrestlers such as your Daniel Bryans, Jack Swaggers and other types of that ilk (I.e Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas back in the day), great mat-based wresters who just don't have that extra spark on the microphone (or any spark at all for that matter), it would be nice to see more effort put into them to help cover up their lack of spark on the microphone. Giving them a fast-talking manager or a decent storyline or even just a few extra dimensions to their character would see them at the very least give the more charismatic main eventers like John Cena fresh opponents and rivalries.

One idea I had a while back was to take someone like Bryan or Swagger and to go completely overboard on pushing their submission finishers. Depending on their brand, have them cut a promo (or a manager to cut one for them) showing a list of the entire roster of said brand...and promptly going through the entire list until each member of the roster has tapped out. Start feeding them some of the scrubs of the roster like Curt Hawkins, DH Smith and so on and eventually work your way up the card towards the main event players. You could span this out over a big period of time and the more names that get ticked off the list, the more credible they become and the more people will be interested in buying tickets to see if a big name will potentially tap or not. It could even lead to a title run or something down the line if they were that way inclined. The best part is, they wouldn't even need to really talk. Just keep putting out highlight videos showing their intensity and the names that keep succumbing to the list. It may even elevate other wrestlers, vowing not to have their name crossed off and building up an interesting rivalry, only for them to eventually tap and for both guys to move on to fresh feuds. It's not exactly my name is Earl or Undertaker's streak, but it's something I think has legs.

An idea I had for Swagger a while back was to team him with Benjamin and make them a couple of goofball Pro-America types. Start them off as badass heels and then eventually pull the trigger on a faceturn, which wouldn't be too hard to do considering WWE's patriotic American audiences.

You mean have WWE logically build a wrestler up over a perioid of time by giving him wins while making his finisher look deadly?

It would never work.

• Paid Members

I always thought Swagger was pretty decent on the mic when he's given the chance. They should just go into full blown Biff Tannen mode with him though. I'd mark if he called Evan Bourne or someone a butt-head then told them to make like a tree and get out of here.

I always thought Swagger was pretty decent on the mic when he's given the chance. They should just go into full blown Biff Tannen mode with him though. I'd mark if he called Evan Bourne or someone a butt-head then told them to make like a tree and get out of here.

Swagger's good on the mic I think. His title run when he was wheeling out all his medals and accomplishments and bringing out the Swagger Soaring Eagle was brilliant. The visual of Swagger doing a lap of honour with the Eagle who had the indifferent expression on its face was priceless. His "TEAM COLE" stuff has been great too. He's like a proper high school jock teaching the nerd how to fight.

I'd always have had Mark Henry in a "Smart" Mark role when he comes out with gegs and a long leather jacket and hits people with his keyboard. He can judge all matches out of five stars and start "THIS IS AWESOME" chants at ringside.

I've always thought that Jeff Jarrett would suit a mad scientist gimmick.

He could wear a lab coat and goggles, with crazy Doc. Brown style hair, and come out to the ring with the music from 'Weird Science' (or something similar). He could do experiments in the ring, with Bunsen burners and beakers and stuff, totally boring the crowd until they started booing him.

During promos he could say stuff like, "Ah' have formulated a hypothesis of Prof. Jeff Jarrett whuppin' your ass, with science!" or "Ya'll sons of bitches can't beat my science."

Something like that could really get me back into watching TNA again.

• Paid Members

Give Rey Mysterio the gimmick of an adult film star. Swap his traditional head-wear for a gimp mask, exchange the stage catapult for a pink cannon and tinker with his entrance theme:

"Bukkake! Bukkake!

Six-tee-nine.

Bukkake! Bukkake!

Rey's just spermin', yo."

Everyone loves a horny time bandit.

Seeing as neither Chris Masters and DH Smith are nt really doing anything as of late, how about recreating an Allied Powers team....obviously you'd have to turn Chris Masters into a patriotic American as they did with Luger in the Lex Express days....just my 2 cents worth

• Paid Members
DH Smith? WH Smith :thumbsup:

Then WH Smith can do some sort of publishing related gimmick. Smart Mark Henry could be his bodyguard and Jim Ross can take on the name of JR Hartley. Scotty 2 Hotty could even come back with the name "The Book Worm". The possibilities are endless.

Archived