Give a Superstar a new gimmick

Cobra1000

It appears we're all a bit stumped as to what the 'Tyler Durden' character would entail, but it occurs to me that CM Punk probably came pretty close with the Straight Edge Society gimmick - telling his followers to reject the trappings of mainstream society, shaving their heads like the 'space monkeys' in Project Mayhem, and generally behaving like an infallible cult leader.

I think sticking with something like that, but generally spiced up a bit with some more leftfield stuff like nWo-style propaganda videos, and obviously a bigger push, would just about do it. You could probably do that with Morrison look-wise, but it falls down a bit with his terrible mic work considering Tyler Durden works primarily on charisma.

Incorporate some football hooliganism in there too and maybe WWE could tap into British culture properly for the first time, plus the US seem to be mad on their Soccer now so it's a win-win for Drewfans.

I've got a feeling Vince is probably one of those dickhead yanks who think of football as 'a chick's sport' because it's not one of those sports that only Americans play and therefore can declare themselves world champions of.

For that reason, I wouldn't go 'football hooligan' per se, but there's definitely mileage in presenting a rougher image of the Brits - if you're going to stereotype us, at least go with a more modern stereotype than all that tea and crumpets shite. I think the Snatch/Lock Stock thing is the way to go - it wouldn't be too hard to buy for the yank audience, because Vinnie Jones and Jason Statham seem to do alright playing the same character in all their Hollywood films. I actually think TNA got it spot-on with the Desmond Wolfe character, especially in the early stages, and now that he's seemingly out of the picture there's no reason why the WWE couldn't do something similar with, say, Wade Barrett.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
Tyler Reks should be doing more, he'd make a good unbeatable IC/US champ that holds the belt for ages (if hes over) then when a face beats him it would mean more.

I've said it before (can't find the thread, but I definitely did, and gave it a fair bit of thought as I recall), but Tyler Reks should do a full-on caveman gimmick. Loincloth, carrying a club, the whole deal.

I've always wanted to see a Schizophrenic gimmick, ever since I saw those episodes on neighbours once where Boyd or whatever he was called went schizo for a while, one minute he's a face, next a heel, etc.

They could have it turn out to be some sort of brain tumour or what have you (or something a bit less "real")... he goes in for the operation to remove the tumour, comes out in a month or so's time all happy and babyface like, then completely snaps and destroys the main face (who he's also best buds with) on the roster, turning him heel for ever.

(I don't count Black Reign's thing either, as it was shite).

Would like to see WWE play up to Drew McIntyre's Chosen One Gimmick have vinney mac manage him, he would also have to have a huge push. He would also have vignettes where woman would be throwing themselves at him he would walk in to shops and they would just give him stuff for free also people would just come up to him on the streets and shine his shoes that sort of thing.

The psycho character is perfect for Drew McIntye however I'd tie it in with when Vince picked him as future WWE Champion. Call him "The Chosen One" or something and he's this violent psychopath but is protected by the powers that be in the WWE so he is free to be as wild and dangerous as possible without any repurcussions.

Didn't they already do this exact thing last year for a bit?

• Paid Members
The psycho character is perfect for Drew McIntye however I'd tie it in with when Vince picked him as future WWE Champion. Call him "The Chosen One" or something and he's this violent psychopath but is protected by the powers that be in the WWE so he is free to be as wild and dangerous as possible without any repurcussions.

I think so (I read about it but wasnt watching wrestling at the time) but wasn't he just playing your average smug heel. If he was a complete violent sociopath aswell as the bosses giving him free reign to do what he wanted it would add an edge to it.

Yeah, Drew's humiliating of Teddy Long was actually pretty good TV.

Did it all end when Vince got taken out by Nexus, so Teddy ovr-rules him? I forget now.

I still think the pay-off should have been Vince coming out and saying that he'd stopped helping Drew yonks ago, and all the "Letters from Mr McMahon" that Drew had been using against Teddy were fake. Expose Drew as a massive bullshitting bastard.

Yeah, I think it was the Nexus attack on Vince that ended it, Eddie.

I think so (I read about it but wasnt watching wrestling at the time) but wasn't he just playing your average smug heel. If he was a complete violent sociopath aswell as the bosses giving him free reign to do what he wanted it would add an edge to it.

No, he was a loon as well. He kept trying to braindead Matt Hardy or Kofi or someone.

At the moment i feel that Daniel Bryan isnt much of a marketable product for the WWE. Great wrestler dont get me wrong but he has a bland gimmick and not much charisma compared to others.

Perhaps if he went on a little losing streak, and that started to decrease his morale. Then for the next couple of weeks he starts sitting in the front row of RAW with his facial appearance changing gradually (To the ROH skinhead and long beard) and wearing plain jeans and a leather jacket.

Then at the next PPV, have him sit in the crowd as usual and then attack Cena during his match. The night night on RAW he shows footage of the Velocity match between the pair in (2006 i think!). Bryan then says that he realised that this was when he REALLY started to lose focus as a wrestler, so he decided to take out Cena.

There you have it, Daniel Bryan has a main event push/feud with Cena as well as a decent gimmick change/heel turn. :)

• Paid Members

If Daniel Bryan really wants to get over, they should base him around The Dude. Seriously, the way the guy speaks would suit it perfectly. Have him start wandering around backstage in a dressing gown drinking a carton of milk. Call himself The Dan. Have JBL return to be his Walt and have someone like Evan Bourne to be Donnie. They could have bowling tournaments backstage against Santino and Kozlov. Santino would make a good Jesus-like character. You can have The Dan win the title, only to lose it and have Walt keep harping on about how the belt "really tied the locker-room together". Doing the role of The Stranger you can have JR show up every now and again to order a sarsaparilla and give The Dan some advice about life. Bring in Alex Wright, Claudio Castagnoli and that Russian guy they have in development as the Nhilists and have them fake the kidnap of Kelly Kelly or someone. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE LITERALLY ENDLESS!

I'd like to see Ezekiel Jackson, Heath Slater, and a couple of the uglier Divas as a right wing fundamentalist Christian group along the lines of the Westboro Baptist Church, running around accusing people of supporting the "fag lifestyle" and laying down beatings on the unbeliever in the name of Jesus' love.

In the unlikely event he'd be up for it, Ted DiBiase Sr. would make a fantastic figurehead for them, bankrolling their operations and acting as their preacher and spokesperson. Ted Jr. could join them as well in that case.

Second choice would be Jake Roberts. He'd be more than happy to sell out on his "religious beliefs" I'm sure.

I'd make R Truth into a carbon copy of Ashley Cole

A best left back in the world gimmick, how would that work?.

Give him a really hot valet who he cheats on with Awesome Kong by sending her pictures of himself in his underwear, maybe film some vignetes of him being offered a new contract while driving a car but he's so unhappy with the money being offered that he crashes it, and then ultimately have him bring an air gun to the ring and accidentally shoot an NXT rookie

You could also bill him as one of the greatest wrestlers in the world with so much talent, but he is, essentially, just a complete cock

Archived