How good was I?

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I've always loved Sean Waltman what ever he's done in the business. The 123 Kid was tremendous. He was involved in two of the best matches of the mid-90s. One with Bret on Raw and another in that tag team match with Razor against Shawn and Diesel on the Action Zone. He was the Rey Mysterio of his day, because the kids loved him and he was an exciting performer. And he knocked about with Razor, and we all wanted to do that. In WCW, he was good, but he wasnt used in the ring as well as he should have been. But he did most (actually all) of the work in the mega-heated and brilliant six man match where Nash, Hall and Syxx wrestled Kevin Greene, Piper and a injured Ric Flair. In the WWF as X-Pac, he was one of the most over acts on the show for a good two years. The booking of his feud and then team with Kane was as perfect as you'll find in any WWF era. Fans just loved this pair. Both had been fucked over by their friends, brothers, girlfriends, Dads, team mates. One was a small wrestler on his own and the other was a burned up freak who had no friends. X-Pac being beated up by the Undertaker and Kane making the save before the tearful embrace was a great moment. An unnecessary heel turn killed off his whole act, because heel X-Pac wasnt to clever and it was impossible to regain how loved he was in 1999. That ruined it for me. Last year, he was in TNA and looked like a man who had a lot to give the company but was frustrated with how it was ran. This was evident when he took a bit of a fit shouting "where the fuck did they hide it" when he was looking for his spray can that TNA never put in the right position or when he gave Eric Young the most heated match he's ever likely to have him his life and then they bury him for not showing up even though they knew he wasnt going to be there. He looked like he was motivated to do something in the promotion, and his performances since then show that. Now he's reinvented himself as a well respected performer amongst his peers on both ends of the wrestling world. He got a standing ovation from the fans and his fellow workers at the Chikara weekend the other week and a speech from Mike Quackenbush saying how different wrestling would be if the 123 Kid didnt break Vince McMahon's image of what a small wrestler could do in 1993. And on the other end of it, Vince McMahon allowed Shawn Michaels request that X-Pac appear on stage with him at the end of the Hall of Fame this year. Its a good way to turn it around for someone who was hanging from his flat in Mexico three years ago.

But he fucked Chyna, so my answer is, X-Pac wasnt very good at all.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I didn't see X-Pac until 1999/2000 but he quickly became one of my favourites. Thought he was excellent in-ring (great finisher, cool looking kicks, and it's easy to forget how over the Bronco Buster was before Rey Mysterio RUINED IT THE BASTARD) and as a character - he was immediately recognisable. His music was great, his costumes always looked good - he had it all, and though I can't ever imagine he could have been a main eventer, he'll always be one of my favourite mid-carders. I really like the name X-Pac too. I couldn't fathom how other people didn't feel the same, and either booed him or met him with apathy. He was great, and I was interested in everything he did.

Even X-Factor. I really liked the Pac/Credible team, and I thought he suited the 'leader' role well as he segued more into being a veteran. He had some of the best matches of the Invasion, and was a highlight of WWE-nWo - the change in look from singlet to just shorts made him look smaller, but changed him up enough to refresh him.

X-Pac was always one of my picks if I was playing SmackDown on the PS1 or Shut Your Mouth on the PS2, so it was a shame when he was released - I think he could have settled quite comfortably into the midcard of the post-brand extension roster in a Matt Hardy-like role, or helped in the Cruiserweight division.

His 2005 TNA run isn't talked about much but he had at least two straight-up classic matches while he was there - the Clockwork Orange House of Fun with Raven and the summer match with AJ Styles were both bloody excellent. The Jerry Lynn match was also very good, and its set-up and backstory of them being two light-heavyweight/X division pioneers who paved the way for others (which I'd argue Waltman certainly was - in the US at least).

I'm a Waltman fanboy - certain offscreen antics aside...

• Moderators

The pops X-Pac was getting in his mini-feud with The Rock over the WWF title in December 1998 says it all. He was class. Might have outstayed his welcome in WWF a bit, but I reckon the heel turn is more to blame for that than anything.

• Paid Members

Kid is so good that I've went out of my way to download the Chikara KOT shows, which says it all really.

I've always loved Sean Waltman what ever he's done in the business. The 123 Kid was tremendous. He was involved in two of the best matches of the mid-90s. One with Bret on Raw and another in that tag team match with Razor against Shawn and Diesel on the Action Zone. He was the Rey Mysterio of his day, because the kids loved him and he was an exciting performer. And he knocked about with Razor, and we all wanted to do that. In WCW, he was good, but he wasnt used in the ring as well as he should have been. But he did most (actually all) of the work in the mega-heated and brilliant six man match where Nash, Hall and Syxx wrestled Kevin Greene, Piper and a injured Ric Flair. In the WWF as X-Pac, he was one of the most over acts on the show for a good two years. The booking of his feud and then team with Kane was as perfect as you'll find in any WWF era. Fans just loved this pair. Both had been fucked over by their friends, brothers, girlfriends, Dads, team mates. One was a small wrestler on his own and the other was a burned up freak who had no friends. X-Pac being beated up by the Undertaker and Kane making the save before the tearful embrace was a great moment. An unnecessary heel turn killed off his whole act, because heel X-Pac wasnt to clever and it was impossible to regain how loved he was in 1999. That ruined it for me. Last year, he was in TNA and looked like a man who had a lot to give the company but was frustrated with how it was ran. This was evident when he took a bit of a fit shouting "where the fuck did they hide it" when he was looking for his spray can that TNA never put in the right position or when he gave Eric Young the most heated match he's ever likely to have him his life and then they bury him for not showing up even though they knew he wasnt going to be there. He looked like he was motivated to do something in the promotion, and his performances since then show that. Now he's reinvented himself as a well respected performer amongst his peers on both ends of the wrestling world. He got a standing ovation from the fans and his fellow workers at the Chikara weekend the other week and a speech from Mike Quackenbush saying how different wrestling would be if the 123 Kid didnt break Vince McMahon's image of what a small wrestler could do in 1993. And on the other end of it, Vince McMahon allowed Shawn Michaels request that X-Pac appear on stage with him at the end of the Hall of Fame this year. Its a good way to turn it around for someone who was hanging from his flat in Mexico three years ago.

Also, all of of that.

Kid is so good that I've went out of my way to download the Chikara KOT shows, which says it all really.

Exactly what i've done, i now have to seed like a mother with next to no upload speed but if i'm banned from XWT it was worth it.

I think Seans only problem was that he sometimes got tongue tied on the mic and wasn't always very clear, apart from that he's my fav ever midcarder.

X-Pac had a touch of the Batista's about him on the mic.

Technically speaking, from an artistic standpoint, he cut an absolutely rubbish promo. He rambled, he got lost, he mumbled, he didn't really know how to use the tones of his voice to make his point...but, and its a big but, when he said he wanted to fight someone you generally believed he wanted to fight someone.

X-Pac had a touch of the Batista's about him on the mic.

Technically speaking, from an artistic standpoint, he cut an absolutely rubbish promo. He rambled, he got lost, he mumbled, he didn't really know how to use the tones of his voice to make his point...but, and its a big but, when he said he wanted to fight someone you generally believed he wanted to fight someone.

True, he does have that about him as it felt like he was talking for real.

Though the time he had a verbal confrontation with HBK post DX makes me cringe just thinking about it, he looked like a lost little puppy, the poor thing.

Quality post, all of which I agree with. As the Kid he was an absolute hero, who absolutely anyone could cheer for. As X Pac and Syxx he was a badass, but you didn't want to admit that cause he was small but he'd probably knock you out.

Absolutely criminal the Intercontinental Title eluded him.

Also after CHIKARA's King Of Trios (and maybe long before that) he has proved he is a worthwhile talent to any wrestling company, large or small. Afterall he's only 38...

Big fan of X Pac

Always entertained me ever since I was young and remember his matches against Shane McMahon

i think he id someone who can work with peope all shapes and sizes and woud have liked to have seen him used more in WWE

I really liked the 123 Kid, he brought something different to the WWF and carved his own niche. Played a great underdog and his offence on comebacks consisted of cool & crazy stuff most of which the audience hadn't seen before, at least in the WWF. His team with Jannetty was great; with Bob Holly, not so much, but the Kid pulled his weight, and he had loads of great matches throughout those 2 or 3 years. He was a breath of fresh air in the WWF around 93-94. I wasn't so keen on him turning heel and joining the Corporation, it all seemed a bit pointless, and it took away a lort of the attributes that made him so good.

I still have to see much of his stuff from WCW, but i liked most of what i did see. I felt it worked a lot better for him as a heel in WCW than it did in late 95/early 96 WWF because he had cruiserweights smaller than himself to work/feud with. I liked his feud and Souled Out ladder match with Eddy in particular.

I wasn't a huge fan of X-pac though. He returned just after WM14 and was pretty good throughout that year (when he had the red and black attire). Then he got lazy, he pretty much cruised through 1999 doing not much of anything, decent matches with Shane, HHH, and Jericho aside. His team (and feud) with Kane was incredibly boring, as was his DX return with the Road Dogg - you could see he was just going through the motions, hitting his signature spots and doing just enough to get by. It's no surprise that a lot of fans turned on him around that time. IMO it wasn't until the WCW invasion and he was in that horrible X-factor stable that he appeared to become more motivated and energised again - there's some decent, forgotten stuff out there from that period, in particular the light heavyweight matches vs Tajiri, Kidman, and i think there might've been one or two vs Jeff Hardy.

I caught some of his work in AAA a few years ago too and he was pretty impresive, he wasn't holding back.

Basically, yeah, he was good. The only time i didn't care much for him was in 1999/2000.

Archived