Louis Theroux & the Westboro Baptist Church

David

Following up on his 2007 documentary, The Most Hated Family in America, Louis Theroux returns to Topeka, Kansas, for a week-long visit with the Westboro Baptist Church.

He again joins the Phelps family on their controversial pickets where they try to antagonise communities with offensive slogans and anti-gay placards. But four years on from Louis's last visit, there are signs of disarray in the Phelps clan. A series of defections of family members has shaken up the church.

Source: BBC

Did anyone watch the show? I find it unbelievable that these people have lasted as long as they have without someone, or some group, doing them in. I noticed that in this new show they decide to turn their hatred to the Qur'an as well, which is surely an open invite for one of the Islamic extremist groups to take issue with them?

Apparently Obama is the anti-Christ as well, along with the Nazis being sent by God to "give the Jews a slap" or something. It's racism in it's most basic form in my opinion.

Another issue I found rather disturbing is the way they send their children (some as young as 10 years old) out there to these picket lines with their hate-filled placards. Surely there must be some sort of law against this shit?

For anyone who hasn't seen it, you can catch it here.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did watch this having seen the original documentary when it was shown in the BBC and the members of the Westboro Baptist Church continue to disturb me in a number of ways. As David mentions, they allow their children to participate when some of them have no idea what the words on their picket signs even mean - I remember last time Louis asked a child if he knew what "fag" meant and the kid had absolutely no clue.

The only positive thing that I saw in this programme was that certain members have now broken away from the church and are living their lives completely distanced from the church and it's members. It's hard to believe that in this day and age, there are still people like this in the world and they come across as very bitter and twisted in their thinking/beliefs but I suspect it's because they teach their kids these beliefs from a very young age so there's always going to be a new generation of members.

• Paid Members

Yes, it was very good stuff indeed. They really are a grimly fascinating bunch, I'll watch anything about these people.

Theroux has become a really good documentarian recently. Instead of piddling around with crap celebrities and random nutters, he's tackled some interesting subjects brilliantly. The short series he did about crime, especially the edition in South Africa, was outstanding.

• Paid Members

My Brother actually worked on an episode of Jeremy Kyle that they appeared on and said that they had people from the crowd trying to attack them before and after the show. Their whole aim in life seems to be to piss people off

My Brother still stands by his statement that this is the one and only time Jeremy Kyle hasnt been the biggest cunt in the room

Fascinating stuff, absolute lunatics. You have to laugh at just how downright shameless and bullish they are though, and how they've always got an answer for everything, no matter how nutty their explanations are.

I was wondering how they dealt with deaths of their own, do they celebrate them as well?

• Paid Members
and how they've always got an answer for everything, no matter how nutty their explanations are.

They have a response, not an answer. They just recite mantra and passages from The Bible blindly.

We can't even put it down to simply her having mental issues, as the Church has recruited other people who under other circumstances (probably) wouldn't go picketting funerals.

• Paid Members

Didn't know there was a follow up to the original, I'll have to peep it.

Absolute bunch of lunatics they are. The stuff with the kids picketing and not even knowing what was going on is saddening and somewhat scary. Even when the young kid gets twatted by thrown can they rub his head and let him carry on. Sick stuff.

Unbelieveable.

• Paid Members

I've only seen the first one but, yes, those guys are mentalists.

The most telling thing about Fred Phelps for me was that he was really happy to meet Louis until Louis asked how many children he had (to establish whether he still considers the ones that have left the Church his kids) and then wanted nothing to do with him. It made it obvious that he doesn't have the confidence in his beliefs to have a discussion with someone intelligent enough to expose him. It's no surprise that most of his followers are his kids and Grandkids, who have been taught not to question him.

I feel a bit bad for the rest of them though. The delight that the teenage girl had when she said her Dad would be happy if she died went to hell "because it was God's will" was pretty chilling.

We can't even put it down to simply her having mental issues, as the Church has recruited other people who under other circumstances (probably) wouldn't go picketting funerals.

Aside from picketing funerals, didn't you see the way they live? They are a family (literally for most of them) who rely entirely on each other, I can totally see why that would be attractive to some people, enough so that they'd WANT to believe that they are doing the right thing. I mean picketing funerals is horrible and all but it's nowhere near as bad as some of the shit people have done in another Cults (Waco, and in particular Jonestown) and, deep down, that's all the Westboro Baptist Church is.

I'll have to check this out. Did anybody see the one he did with the skinheads? I watched it the other day, stunning just isn't the word

What was the title of that one? Not sure if I've seen it to be honest.

• Paid Members
I'll have to check this out. Did anybody see the one he did with the skinheads? I watched it the other day, stunning just isn't the word

What was the title of that one? Not sure if I've seen it to be honest.

Is that the one in Poland? If so, thats another eye opener as well. :duh:

Archived